Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2015, 05:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Winter questions- North Atlanta

1. Should I leave a vent open slightly all winter (fantastic fan, i.e.)?

2. How do you protect black/grey dump valves? Was thinking about dumping a cup or so of anti-freeze down drain and toilet.

3. I'll be using anti-freeze method. Should I leave all faucets open after anti-freeze fill?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:37 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I might suggest you consider purchasing “The (Nearly) Complete Guide To Airstream Maintenance”. I downloaded it from iBooks/iTunes Store, if I remember correctly around $25. I felt like being new to airstream myself with a 2015 model purchased in November 2014 it was worth the money to supplement the owners manual. I winterized mine last year three times because we kept using it. The first time took me hours once you get your routine down it's actually pretty simple. I do mine a little differently than the book however encourage you not to take shortcuts. I believe page 317 starts the winterizing process.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
yes leave the drains and taps open after injecting the anti freeze in. Also drain the water heater, use a wet dry vac to suck out the remaining water . Don't put anti freeze in it. Pour a few cups of antifreeze in the toilet and sink drains also.
I would not leave roof vents open, as it is another invitation ti small critter and insects who want to come in and make a new home.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Alansd, I assume by drains you're not talking about low point drains?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I pour some in my 3 drains, kitchen, Bath sink, shower.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 10-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
[QUOTE=DeltaRon;1701899]1. Should I leave a vent open slightly all winter (fantastic fan, i.e.)?

2. How do you protect black/grey dump valves? Was thinking about dumping a cup or so of anti-freeze down drain and toilet."

A Fantastic-Vent Fan is only guaranteed against wind damage when the vent lid is all the way open or all the way closed. Partially opened, a wind gust can break the vent's opening/closing mechanism. The newer automatic versions only go full open or completely shut.

Winterizing the gray and black tanks is best done by draining those tanks. If you will feel more secure, or think that maybe there is some small amount of water left in the tanks, then pour a gallon or so of anti-freeze down the sink drain and also a gallon into the toilet & flush it. You don't need to use the pink RV antifreeze @ $5 per gallon in the gray and black tanks. You can use blue automotive windshield fluid, but be sure it is rated for below zero use. There are some summertime versions that freeze at 32 degrees. Don't use that kind. The anti-freeze will automatically sink to the lowest points in the tanks and protect the drain valves. The blue antifreeze usually only costs $1 to $1.50 per gallon. Don't ever forget and use it in the fresh water lines or fresh water tank. If you think you could ever confuse the two, then just stick with the pink RV anti-freeze.

A trailer that is winterized and not heated probably won't generate much interior humidity. Usually, only occupied trailers develop humidity problems in the wintertime. My opinion: having an open window or vent is not as important as keeping out pests during the storage.

I don't keep any windows open on my trailers during the winter. I winterize them, keep a dehumidifier running, use an electronic anti-pest squawker, and set an electric ceramic heater in each trailer on the anti-freeze setting.

I plan to be in Destin and Pensacola from Nov. to May this year, so I know one trailer won't be winterized this winter.

Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Little Rock , Arkansas
Guess this is off-topic?: BUT, Wolf, have you spent the winter in Destin before? I love Destin and have been many times before getting my AS, have not been there with it yet. Is it warm enough in the winter to spend the whole winter there? I've been in Oct and Nov and it was chilly there. Also, do you have a favorite campground(s) there?
Gillpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Destin is generally warm but you can get a cold snap when it will be 30, with a wind off the water. but it is a beautiful place. We like TopSail Hill SP and Henderson SP as both are super nice, and have great beaches.
If you go further West you can stay at Gulf state park just over the Alabama line I. gulf Shores. Not on the beach but across from it and very nice, rebuilt after the hurricane destroyed it.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 10-29-2015, 10:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
We also love camping at Gulf Shores State Park. They offer monthly rates during the winter months. Very nice paved sites with full hook ups, 30/50 amps. Nice bath houses. Lots to do in the winter and the summer.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote