Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Chester , Vermont
winter camping?

Has anyone tried "winter camping" in an airstream? We used to have a late model class B camper on a dodge sprinter van chassis and would occasionally sleep in it during the winter using the RV furnace, but with no running water, since it was winterized. It was like sleeping in your car but with a bigger heater!

Has anyone heard of living in an AS during a hard-freezing winter with snow and the whole 9 yards? Like a mobile home? We have land which we want to build on, but will do it in 2 stages, improving the the road access and bringing electric to the site, and digging the well and septic this summer, then building a cabin on it next summer. Is it even feasible to consider parking an AS on it as a weekend cabin through the winter if we have electric and water hook-ups? I imagine we'd have to keep it heated full time if we plan to use the plumbing at all, even if we are only inhabiting the trailer on the weekends.

I'm thinking of a 31' Sovereign 1977 for that purpose, it sure is cheaper than buying one of those neat little mini-houses (are they called "park trailers?" - they are like a hybrid between a trailer and a mobile home) that I've seen at the RV dealer.

Thanks for your comments, and I won't feel bad if you say I'm nuts.
saranesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would think it would need some serious skirting plus auxillary heat underneath. Airstreams are not noted for good winter camping amenities. I've heard that Artic Fox trailers are the best. Here is the web site.

http://www.northwoodmfg.com/index.ph...ex&make=arctic
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #3

Currently Looking...
Chester , Vermont
I found the winter living thread under the full-timing heading, this gives A LOT of information pertinent to my question. Long story short - it's not gonna happen!

Is there any way to search the forums?
saranesler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by saranesler View Post
.... it sure is cheaper than buying one of those neat little mini-houses (are they called "park trailers?" - they are like a hybrid between a trailer and a mobile home) that I've seen at the RV dealer.
I think those are usually called "park models." They have an axle, effectively built to take a one-way trip to their final destination. However, it's often advisable to leave the axle intact because various local building codes do not apply to buildings on wheels.

Lynn
Old 02-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by saranesler View Post
I found the winter living thread under the full-timing heading, this gives A LOT of information pertinent to my question. Long story short - it's not gonna happen!

Is there any way to search the forums?
At the top of the page there is a tab for search. And welcome to the forum.
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Hi Sara

Much depends on the site. Expected temperatures. Wind. Whether or not things like water and sewer can be connected and protected in such a way that they won't freeze. Availability of electric power and propane.

I would think that in your area, in a site protected from the wind, you could do OK.

A fact to consider is that the "park models" aren't much better, really, except that they have the idea of skirting built into them.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Here is a good thread to read on winter camping.....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...ving-2738.html

Carol
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
"trying it" - we're DOING IT!! A little learning & "it ain't too shabby"!!

We're in a 34' Excella1000 rear twin. We took advice and insulated under both beds after closing and insulating over the rear twins - then insulated the bed platforms and walls. We used foam board insulation and foil bubble insulation. We also heat wrapped, insulated, and covered hoses, spigots, and drains - next year we're going to do an underskirting with rebar and thick foam - and will also do under coach heating.

We bought a dehumidifier - good idea, bad choice to buy on eBay (quit after 5 days). We are getting another one AFTER we lose this 10" of snow. Right now we're doing extra ventilation and there isn't any condensation problems - but we're being careful with cooking & showering. And yes - we're at minus 3 (-3)...... And it's going colder yet.

Can it be done??? Yes!! Are you willing to take the steps to make it work??

3 cold months full-time & counting. Not looking back.

bugnot1
bugnot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
Send a message via Skype™ to cruiser54
I see just in the TV that half America makes winter camping.....
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1950 22' Liner
1980 31' International
1962 19' Globetrotter
Naples , N. Idaho
We have a woodstove that really made the difference in how comfortable it is. We have removed the toilet and use a porta-poti and use a large water dispenser at the kitchen sink. A squirt bottle at the bath sink and drain the gray water in a dug hole if on your property. Condensation is really lessened by the wood stove.
Nadine Y.
yarlj is offline   Reply With Quote