Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The parallax converter has many flaws, but it will not overcharge the batteries in the winter. I leave mine plugged in all winter and have for 3 years, batteries still work great.

Good for you.....

Bob
Old 09-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Explain how a concrete floor will magically drain batteries.
It doesn't with modern batteries.

Rubber battery cases, at least in theory, had enough electrical conductivity through the cell walls that setting them on a concrete floor would cause the charge to drain more rapidly.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Penfield , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
...."it's real simple to drain everything and blow the lines with air."

Not if you don't have a compressor.....after all that's what the antifreeze is for. Potable water systems.

TETO

Bob
Hi Bob,

So now I am concerned that an air compressor seams like the safest option. What kind of compressor do you recommend? I really just want to use AF but am willing to investigate further into "blowing air thru my lines". This method seams a little risky since you can not be absolutely sure all water has been removed whereas AF in the system is easy to confirm. What are your thoughts?

Thanks.
DreamsInSlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:21 AM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Wink BSTS....PM sent.

I have always used the compressor and antifreeze. Pumping from the FW tank may be problematic for some folks, it does take several complete flushes to remove, but it is harmless and we carry filtered water from home for drinking & cooking.
Warmer environments, the procedures will vary.

I've had do deal with leaks caused by freezing in our first AS, not something I want to repeat with "Cloudsplitter".

Bob
Old 09-12-2013, 05:47 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
The "old school" mechanics that I grew up around always said to store batteries on wood blocks when leaving them on concrete so that's what I always did. Recently I read something from a battery manufacturer stating that that was an old wives tale. Maybe we should send this one to "Myth Busters".
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #26
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

.....Ah yes, I remember, we went to different schools together.

Force of habit I guess...

I think it's more the cold rather than the concrete itself thats the concern.
An unheated concrete garage floor would be little help in keeping the battery charged.

Bob
Old 12-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #27
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
FYI, the Lifeline manual states storage temp of -67 degrees. Based on that, I leave mine installed (disconnected) instead to lugging those heavy beast inside! I think mine weigh 66 lbs a piece x 4!

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/manual.pdf

Cheers
ostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebee View Post
If you decide to charge your batteries in a garage environment during the winter, do not set them on the concrete floor. The cold of the concrete will drain the batteries and leave them ruined. Set them on a work bench or several 2X4s.

If you do not want to blow out the lines and do not wish to use the pink stuff, then use a cheap vodka. It takes 2 - 1/2 gal bottles. I have a hose that connects directly to my water pump and the hose fits into the top of the vodka bottle. What I use is about $6 a bottle and the container is plastic. I always buy 3 just in case I need a little more (a qt of OJ helps with the mission).

I only use the pink stuff in drains and waste tanks. Drain FW tank and leave drain open.
This battery urban legend is completely false, and has been for many decades. Concrete is alkaline in it's pH. Early batteries had wooden cases which were lined with a tar-like substance to keep the electrolyte in. Well they pretty much all "weeped" electrolyte through the wood. This made a direct conductor to both drain the battery charge through moist concrete and made a kind of corroded mess under the battery.

Modern plastic batteries will not suffer in the least from sitting on concrete, and won't freeze as long as their charge is maintained.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #29
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I never believed the battery on concrete story until I left a good battery on the garage floor for 3 weeks and killed it dead as hell. Wouldn't even take a charge.

Since then I put a battery on a shelf or on a wooden board or at least some newspapers and it takes 5 years for them to go dead.

A friend of mine thinks I'm nuts. He leaves batteries on the floor all the time. Usually they are OK but I notice he is buying a new battery at least once a year.

Do what you like but what does it cost to put your battery on a scrap of wood?

Or, if you want to prove me wrong leave your battery on the floor with no charger or battery tender for a month and see what happens.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #30

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
I never believed the battery on concrete story until I left a good battery on the garage floor for 3 weeks and killed it dead as hell. Wouldn't even take a charge.

Since then I put a battery on a shelf or on a wooden board or at least some newspapers and it takes 5 years for them to go dead.

A friend of mine thinks I'm nuts. He leaves batteries on the floor all the time. Usually they are OK but I notice he is buying a new battery at least once a year.

Do what you like but what does it cost to put your battery on a scrap of wood?

Or, if you want to prove me wrong leave your battery on the floor with no charger or battery tender for a month and see what happens.
I have a big heavy battery that I only take when I'm boondocking, because the the battery box in the Argosy will only take a grp24 and running my CPAP all night on an inverter would be hard on the house battery, so I trip over this big sucker when boondocking.

When not traveling it sits on the concrete garage floor. It's never been dead when it's time to go, and it sits there for months at a time between boondocking trips.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:19 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
When I said the pink stuff goes down the drains and tanks I did not mean the FW tank. That I simply drain and leave empty. I do like to put some pink in the black and gray tanks to help protect the seals.

Yes, it is easy as long as you have a compressor.
How much water do you put in the black and grey tanks with the A/F?

My 23D came with solar so would I still have to remove the batteries? The manual doesn't cover this.
PTAHERNE is offline   Reply With Quote