Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Why is my waterpump runnning?

Went out to the 1960 Safari this morning to put in a few newly purchased items and found the waterpump running. I have no idea how long it has been running, but the pump itself is now very hot. I checked that all of the faucets are off (which they were) then pulled the fuse to shut off the pump.

The water tank was drained several weeks ago and the trailer was winterized with the pink stuff by the tech at the dealership where we bought it. I watched him do the job, and all valves appear to be in the correct positions for winterized mode. Aside from the tow home, it has been parked and plugged into shore power for the last few weeks. Any ideas why the pump would suddenly engage and start running?

Old 11-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Sounds like the switch was in the on position and the water pressure was built up so the pump turned off automatically. But after the tank was emptied and it was winterized, the pump eventually lost its prime and automatically turned back on and kept running because there was no longer any water to pump. Glad it didn't burn the pump up or worse. Sounds like a lesson learned.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Once accidentally turned on, the water pump will run continuously if there is no water in the system. At some point after you towed it home, the pump was inadvertently turned on. Either that or Airstream Pixies.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Thanks for the replies, guys. That was really weird. Guess I'm going to have to tape down the switches to make sure that does not happen again!
Old 11-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
In a previous thread ,there is a mod to add a "Lighted" pump switch. So its easy to tell if pump is on. ( This should be Std.)
Old 11-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
mopariac Has it Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopariac View Post
Sounds like the switch was in the on position and the water pressure was built up so the pump turned off automatically. But after the tank was emptied and it was winterized, the pump eventually lost its prime and automatically turned back on and kept running because there was no longer any water to pump. Glad it didn't burn the pump up or worse. Sounds like a lesson learned.
If the techs who winterized your Airstream left air pressure in the H20 lines, you wouldn't know the switch was on.
As the pressure bled off, the pump kicked in. AIr pressure or water pressure, the pump won't know the difference.
On a separate but related issue, if you haven't replaced the original Univolt with a modern converter/charger (like the Iota DLS-55), you will need to check the water level in your batteries every 30 days that you stay connected to shore power.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Colo Spgs , & Tucson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
If the techs who winterized your Airstream left air pressure in the H20 lines, you wouldn't know the switch was on.
As the pressure bled off, the pump kicked in. AIr pressure or water pressure, the pump won't know the difference.
On a separate but related issue, if you haven't replaced the original Univolt with a modern converter/charger (like the Iota DLS-55), you will need to check the water level in your batteries every 30 days that you stay connected to shore power.
That is very interesting that air pressure can also activate the pump. Good to know that!

I do have a modern converter installed (mine's a Parallax 555), so no worries there....thanks for looking out for me, though!