Old 03-24-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Boulder , Colorado
When to turn on heat???

Hello at what temperature do I need to turn the furnace on? Does the occasional cold night where the temperature hovers at 32 warrant rushing over to my parents house to turn on the furnace?
What about say 28 degrees for 6 or so hours .....I guess my question is how cold for how long is troublesome? It does not seem practical to to do a full winterization for the occasional cold night. Just worried about when I should be worried

Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Nobody can answer that question safely. If you have water in the system and it gets cold enough long enough you will wish that you had winterized.
Al

Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
I use a ceramic space heater with a digital thermostat (electric) Set for 40 degress and leave it there all the time in the winter months
Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Colo Spgs , Colorado
Hola 6 or so hours

Take a moment an inspect the size of the water pipe size. While you are doing this, think to yourself ... " if this was some water in a small metal container, how long would it take to freeze and break this frigial container, in this weather " .

Now say to your self, " ... self ( for I post no names ), I can easly pay for some frozen lines here or there. Hmmmmnn I wonder what labour for this will cost around here ".

Now say to your self, " ... self ( for I post no names ), if I leave the setting at 35 I can skip my worrying ".

Or you can "winter-ize" it.

Rodger & Gabby
COS
Old 03-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There are basically 3 choices:

Winterize

Have some heat source that allows the trailer, bellypan, tanks, etc not to go below 32 degrees

Possibly have to replace parts

I've done 1 and 2 and that has helped me not to have to do #3.

To me, it's just not worth the risk. Doing plumbing repairs can get expensive quickly. Spending some money on LP or winterizing could cost you less in the long run.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarquis View Post
Hello at what temperature do I need to turn the furnace on? Does the occasional cold night where the temperature hovers at 32 warrant rushing over to my parents house to turn on the furnace?
What about say 28 degrees for 6 or so hours .....I guess my question is how cold for how long is troublesome? It does not seem practical to to do a full winterization for the occasional cold night. Just worried about when I should be worried
It has gotten cold enough this winter to freeze pipes - definitely. You don't list what you own, so your intent may be misconstrued.
  • If you're only concern is freezing, you'll need to consider using the furnace - and in some models the tank heaters. Black and gray tanks can freeze and split and are expensive.
  • Using an electric heater will generally work fairly well (use two on a bigger unit), but that won't warm the belly pan or tanks
  • If it's truly cold the propane furnace has ducts that go to the tanks
  • Newer units often have heat pumps rather than just Air conditioners - these work well down to about 40 degrees F. Most have thermostats that automatically switch to furnace at low temperatures
  • older units with copper pipe will get more damage than newer ones with PEX - but even PEX can fail under extreme temps.
If you fulltime, winterizing isn't practical. Always keep enough spare propane to get through the night (mine always runs out at 3:00 AM) and camp where you have electricity, but remember it may fail in an ice storm.

If you don't fulltime, winterize or at the very least drain the tanks, pipes and traps, and use compressed air to blow the low spots out. Don't forget to remove the faucet filters!

Paula