Old 11-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
Question What about the tires???

when sitting for a long while, lets say winter months, some people cover them up.??is it wise to move the airstream once in a while?just a little so the tire gets rotated??

la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
I think it always good to move the rig once a month if it's possible. A 10 mile drive once a month not only helps the tires but the wheel bearings also.

Happiness only real when shared.
Christopher Johnson McCandless
2/12/68 - 8/18/92
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Northern Ohio

Once it is winterized, our Excella is "in" for the winter. Geography influences the choices you make for maintenance. In our case, NE Ohio has salt on the roads from around Thanksgiving until April...or thereabouts. We don't like the idea of the salt getting on the Airstream. But once the spring comes and sunshine returns...we are sure to be out and about!
Larry and Lou
CP: Water/30 amp/waste dump/WIFI & Room for 2-3 units; PM us if you are headed our direction!
Air #2695
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
The old saying, "Use it or lose it" may apply here also. Among our RV buddies, those who only use their rigs a couple of times a year seem to have the most trouble with tires, batteries, wheel bearing seals, etc. I believe those who live in the right climate could benefit by putting a few miles on it every month. For the rest of us, jacking it up correctly to unload the axles and getting the tires off the ground helps. I'm in the camp who believes covering tires is worthwhile if the trailer won't be used for awhile. Some bring the wheels indoors if they have room.
AIR 47751
Air Safe Hitch, Reese Dual Cam 800#, Centramatics
Silver Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Your profile does not tell you where you live, but if it is in south or where the ozone level is high, I would cover the tires. The profile says it is a 290 motorhome. It might be worthwhile running the engine once in a while to keep the batteries up and spread some oil around inside the engine. A trickle charger is handy but Do not keep the Univolt plugged into 110 as that will overcharge the batteries. I do not see much point in driving the unit around. The tires will not develop a set that is a problem by just parked for four months.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
I think it always good to move the rig once a month if it's possible. A 10 mile drive once a month not only helps the tires but the wheel bearings also.
very good advice!

I see a lot about covering tires but the data I've seen so far isn't clear that that does much for improving tire health.

Moving the rig so the tires and wheels warm up to operating temperatures is good to reduce condensation inside the wheel bearing cavity and flexes the tires so that the stuff the manufacturers include in the tire material to inhibit aging can mix better.

bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote