Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2014, 08:04 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Thanks Aaron!

So it looks like, if I can find reflectix and that aluminum tape in Baja, I'll give those a try. We aren't going to have power at the storage site, so maybe I'll put a few DampRids in the sinks and shower and just let them overflow into the closed grey tank if that's what they do. Maybe I'll end up with a colony in there, though ... But maybe that would be better than multiple colonies in the coach.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Over on another thread, I did a quick-and-dirty calculated estimate of the wind resistance of an Airstream vs. a slab-sided SOB of the same size. The curved sides of the Airstream do improve it's resistance to wind. But preventing the wind from blowing UNDER the trailer also improves wind resistance by minimizing uplift forces.

If you're going to block it up, the places to block it are the same places that support the trailer now: the jack locations— both stabilizer and tongue jacks— and at the wheels (at the designated jacking points for tire changing). Use every jacking point on the trailer to spread the load. If you're going to strap it down, attach the straps to the frame as close to the blocks as you can get. If you attach the tie-downs at a different place than at the blocks, downward force at the tiedowns versus upward force at the blocks can apply bending forces to the frame. But if your upward and downward forces are close together, no bending force.

Tiedowns should be snug, but not so tight that they thrum like guitar strings. If they're too tight, you use up all of your load-bearing capacity before the storm even hits. On the other hand, loose tiedowns will impart shock loading when they're jerked tight by wind action, and that can damage the tiedown and/or the trailer frame.

In place of charcoal to control humidity, try pans of clean kitty litter. It's designed to absorb moisture, and if you get a scented kind, it smells better than damp charcoal, too. If you put pans of kitty litter directly under your roof vents (including the AC grille) than any water that leaks in ends up in the pan and not on the floor, too.

As for sun exposure, if the air conditioner shroud isn't painted, paint it. The plastic will not degrade as fast due to UV exposure if it's got a good coat of paint on it.

You might consider replacing your bathroom vent with a solar-powered Nicro mushroom vent by Marinco to provide forced ventilation even when the power is off.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Thumbs up In the Nick of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Over on another thread, I did a quick-and-dirty calculated estimate of the wind resistance of an Airstream vs. a slab-sided SOB of the same size. The curved sides of the Airstream do improve it's resistance to wind. But preventing the wind from blowing UNDER the trailer also improves wind resistance by minimizing uplift forces.

If you're going to block it up, the places to block it are the same places that support the trailer now: the jack locations— both stabilizer and tongue jacks— and at the wheels (at the designated jacking points for tire changing). Use every jacking point on the trailer to spread the load. If you're going to strap it down, attach the straps to the frame as close to the blocks as you can get. If you attach the tie-downs at a different place than at the blocks, downward force at the tiedowns versus upward force at the blocks can apply bending forces to the frame. But if your upward and downward forces are close together, no bending force.

Tiedowns should be snug, but not so tight that they thrum like guitar strings. If they're too tight, you use up all of your load-bearing capacity before the storm even hits. On the other hand, loose tiedowns will impart shock loading when they're jerked tight by wind action, and that can damage the tiedown and/or the trailer frame.

In place of charcoal to control humidity, try pans of clean kitty litter. It's designed to absorb moisture, and if you get a scented kind, it smells better than damp charcoal, too. If you put pans of kitty litter directly under your roof vents (including the AC grille) than any water that leaks in ends up in the pan and not on the floor, too.

As for sun exposure, if the air conditioner shroud isn't painted, paint it. The plastic will not degrade as fast due to UV exposure if it's got a good coat of paint on it.

You might consider replacing your bathroom vent with a solar-powered Nicro mushroom vent by Marinco to provide forced ventilation even when the power is off.
Thanks so much Protagonist, this info is right in the nick of time. I am about to buy what I need so the guys can do the digging for anchors and put the trailer on blocks. What you say makes complete sense. I haven't even figured out where the jacks are on this trailer, let alone how to use them, so I can see I'm going to be spending a lot more time underneath this week.

And kitty litter here I come. That DampRid stuff is expensive.

If I had the time, I'd order and install that vent lid. I didn't know such a thing existed. It sounds like a great idea. If I could order it and have someone install it in my absence I would but I already have enough dents in the roof! I'm going to try one of those suction thingies when we get back and see if I can make some un-dents in it.

Again, very helpful, thanks.
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Even Hurricane John

Just for grins, I thought I'd report the following: Our summer RV storage place is on the top of a hill in our town which took a direct hit in Hurricane John. The manager tells me that the two Airstream trailers were onsite at the time were completely undisturbed and were not anchored down.

I've learned there's a shed (roof only) available, so I'm going to store my Limited in there and pray that there's not a lot of sideways rain. I'm going to leave the reflecto-magic and the anchoring for some subsequent year when we may have a more permanent site for it. I'm not going to have them lift it onto blocks because I figure why invite more wind under my trailer?

I'm still going to do the kitty litter and the best I can to seal what openings there are around the trailer. But next year I'm coming back with one of those solar vent-thingies. They seem to be a good idea.
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote