Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Curious if it is normal for the water system to loose pressure while blowing out the pipes?

I was having a slow pressure loss, but chocked it up to a loose water heater drain plug I could hear leaking as I was pressurizing.

Then I went to blow out my other trailer, it wouldn't hold pressure for much time at all.

Both trailers have no water leaks and good running plumbing systems.
Could we go back to the beginning here, Ted, and focus on your Airstream alone (assuming this is one of the trailers you are winterizing)?

There are so many variables, and so many theoretical possibilities, being discussed in all the posts, that it does not seem as if you have a clear answer for a discreet set of variables, for just one of your trailers.

What compressor are you using, how is it attached to the trailer, and does it have a two-stage regulator such that you can monitor the tank pressure, plus the pressure being sent into the air line going to the trailer?

In addition to the water heater drain plug you heard leaking air, is your work space quiet enough that you could hear other small leaks if any? Are all of your low point drains closed tight? Maybe your air line to the trailer has some small leaks at the fittings/joints?

What maximum air pressures have you have been sending to the trailer, and have you been able to monitor them carefully? For instance, if you are using just a small compressor with no holding tank, and the gauge is small and unreliable, is it possible that you pressurized the trailer's system over 40 PSI, thereby maybe creating small failures in the system which have now become new (and probably hidden) air leaks? [edit -- you said recently 20 PSI was the max. pressure -- are you confident that there were no spikes above this?]

Thanks,

Peter

PS -- If your questions have all been answered, please advise. Thanks

PS2 edit -- ignoring the Coleman Niagara for now . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
My poor Colman Niagara, so neglected now that we have the "Airstream"...my wife bathed my daughter in the kitchen sink of that old beauty. I'm sorry I can't ignore her.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 09:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I can shut all valves and faucets off , fill the plumbing system with air ,check it a few days later and the pressure will still be there, if it isn't there I want to know where it went....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Water system losing air pressure while blowing out for winterization

Well it sounds to me as if the water system is staying fully charged behind the check valve, so the leak must be at the compressor, its associated fittings, or the line between the compressor and the check valve.

That kind of narrows things down a lot.

Here is a theory, the compressor is bleeding air backward kinda slowly. The Airstream has a longer run with more volume between the compressor and check valve than your other trailer which has almost no volume between the compressor and the check valve. This being the case, the air seems to leak more quickly from the other trailer than your Airstream even though the leak is identical.

(The pressure needle will fall quicker as the lesser volume is bled off than as when the greater volume is bled off)

Probably neither trailer is leaking air at all, it is the compressor and/or its rigging that leaks.

I assumed a lot above, but all in all it would explain everything.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I can shut all valves and faucets off , fill the plumbing system with air ,check it a few days later and the pressure will still be there, if it isn't there I want to know where it went....
Exactly!

Ted it seems as if you do not want to discuss your AS any further?

PS -- Ditto to J. Morgan.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Exactly!

Ted it seems as if you do not want to discuss your AS any further?

PS -- Ditto to J. Morgan.
I just want to get back to my shop and experiment more. I think testing both of my trailers would give better info. Obviously the Airstream is more important here because we all own them.

J. Morgan, the compressor does not leak when inflating a tire, I can hear the loss in the water system. Maybe I'll try the shop compressor. I have a new water heater plug coming too.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I agree, this is the best post of them all.

I also think this will be a great way to test your water system for leaks.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:42 AM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Water, air....

....air, water?

Fill the FW tank, turn on WP...off, on, off all the valve valves. Sit down on the couch with a not-so-good book and listen...if the pump doesn't come on, forgit about the air leak.

Bob
Old 12-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Euless , Texas
The ability to answer a question in simple terms is not the same as the ability to answer a question. The question seems: Use water to pressure and check the system or air?
I would say water. We can get into hot or cold water later. Then we can talk about hot or cold air. Maybe, then we can talk about the ambient temp. which may be more important than the others. So, just use water for now.
Beaerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I have filled the as water system with air, a week later there is still air at the faucets, a good way to see if you have any water leaks..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Wink

I'm leaking air. I have read the science but suspect a glass of wine will do the trick.

Bob

p.s ...open faucet, hookup and turn on (Tanked) compressor, let run, go to step 2...follow winterization checklist. Sleep well.
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Resolved

This is finally resolved. Airstream mothership confirmed the plumbing system should in fact hold air.

I located leaks at the water heater supply piping and the water heater pressure relief valve was defective.

Upon correcting these items, the plumbing system passes a simple air test.