Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Water Pump

I am taking the advice of forum members to winterize sooner than later. So I drained (and bypassed) the water heater and the water tanks. No problem.

Now I want to pump the pink stuff (technical term) thru the system. So I went to Camping World and purchased the thing-a-ma-jig (another technical term) that allows a clear plastic tub to be put in the bottle of pink stuff and you pump it throughout the system via a "t" installed in the water line.

However, I cannot seem to get to the water pump. Where is it? I have a 2009 25fb International. The owners manual says it is in the wardrobe under the hinged floor for easy access. No hinged floor and no easy way to remove the floor that I can determine.

What am I missing?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The small cabinet under the fridge is a panel held on by 4 screws. Remove that panel and under all the ducting you should see the water pipes and back in there is the water pump. I'm not able to splice in a T. No room to work on the PEX. You can always put a couple of gallons of antifreeze in the water tank and pump it through the system.

There should be a removable panel on the wardrobe floor but my pump is located more under the fridge.

Kelvin
Old 10-16-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Under the wardrobe you will see a heater vent. This little partition that has the vent centered in it, is hinged on the left (I think). Open the wardrobe door and grab the little partition on the top and the bottom and pull. The water pump is below this.

If you want to access it open the door below the fridge and remove the back panel. It will be easy to see but difficult to actually work on. When I got my 2006 home I ran into this so I called the local Airstream dealer and they told me that it is easier just to blow the lines with air. I have done this since 2009 without any problems. That said, I do believe that running the pink through the lines is better but if you are careful you can blow the lines which works too.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:24 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Yes, I know where my pump is, but is very tight in there to do a T for antifreeze.

Bob, did you blow the lines? I just drained everything and am thinking of putting RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank and running it thru all the fixtures including the outside shower. Not sure if bowing the lines is really needed?
Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Jukebox, you would need gallons of RV anti freeze to pump from the fresh water tank. All you need to do is buy the bypass kit Hans bought. Hook it into the pump intake side turn it to by pass, place the clear hose that comes with the kit and turn the pump on. Two points are all connections must be tight, or else you'll pull air and pump won't pump and you may have to prime the hose. I've never had to but others have told me they have.

It takes about two gallons of RV anti freeze.

BUT, first drain the hot water tank and then turn the hot water tank by pass to by pass so you don't fill it up. then I always blow the water lines, in years past this is all I've done. But recently I've started adding RV anti freeze. Once lines are blown, ALL of them, including toilet and outside shower, pump anti freeze thru the system until each faucet pumps pure anti freeze (pink). Then your done.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
On my 30' I can put two gallons in my empty freshwater tank and pump the pink stuff out of every faucet, shower, toilet (including spray wand) and my no-fuss-flush valve. And I get about 1/2 cup into every trap. And then the pump runs dry.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
...... All you need to do is buy the bypass kit Hans bought. Hook it into the pump intake side turn it to by pass, place the clear hose that comes with the kit and turn the pump on. ...
Yes, that is "all you need to do" but when dealing with a 25FB the issue is often the not so easy access to the pump. It is located under the wardrobe and back from the hall. If I felt as though I HAD to use the bypass method I would probably take it to the shop and have the tech guys install the bypass. Once in place it would have to have a long hose added to access the gallon jug of antifreeze. It certainly can be done. If you don't want to go through this hassle you can 1. blow the lines with air or 2. add the pink stuff to your FW tank. Either way works.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #8
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I finally found the water pump and agree with the observation that it is very difficult to access. Thus I took a different approach. I bought an attachment for the water inlet for an airline which allows for blowing the water out of all the lines.

I seemed to work well. All lines were clear and all water line drains are now open. I ran the water pump several times to make sure no water was within and then blew out the lines again. This was a much easier approach than trying to get to the pump to install a "t".

I then divided a gallon of the RV antifreeze between the 3 traps (kitchen, shower and bathroom sink) and the toilet. I think I'm good to go.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Jukebox, you would need gallons of RV anti freeze to pump from the fresh water tank. All you need to do is buy the bypass kit Hans bought. Hook it into the pump intake side turn it to by pass, place the clear hose that comes with the kit and turn the pump on. Two points are all connections must be tight, or else you'll pull air and pump won't pump and you may have to prime the hose. I've never had to but others have told me they have.

It takes about two gallons of RV anti freeze.

BUT, first drain the hot water tank and then turn the hot water tank by pass to by pass so you don't fill it up. then I always blow the water lines, in years past this is all I've done. But recently I've started adding RV anti freeze. Once lines are blown, ALL of them, including toilet and outside shower, pump anti freeze thru the system until each faucet pumps pure anti freeze (pink). Then your done.
I ended up blowing the lines with air and then hooking a hose up to the water pump inlet into a bottle of antifreeze, took two gallons as you said. Then after draining the water heater and turning bypass valve, I ran pink through hot and cold lines in kitchen, shower & bath sink & toilet. Also did external shower. I made sure there was some in every trap.

I am going to leave the AGM batteries in since they are kept charged by the solar panels over the winter. Thanks for the help!
Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Putting antifreeze in the FW tank may not give you the protection you need. Because you don't know how much it is diluted. Not all FW tanks drain completely.
If you have a "black water flush" system it will require winterization as well.
I am not comfortable blowing air thru the pump. Not sure if damage will occur.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
TG, my fresh water tank must drain almost completely when I pump it out, because I look at the color of the antifreeze straight from the jug, and the color that comes out of the faucet when I pump it from the tank. Can not tell any difference. Can't vouch for tanks other than mine though.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote