Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Quinlan , Texas
Using AS while in storage garage

All, I am following in my grandparents' footsteps and expecting to take delivery of a new 2019 Classic 33 sometime during late June, early July. I spent many days during my mis-spent youth traveling with them over the course of my teenage years, attending numerous local and international WBCCI rallies. Over the course of 25 years they progressed from a 23 footer, to a 28 footer to finally a 31 footer. I'm now approaching retirement and looking forward to starting our own AS saga and sharing our adventures with our own (future) grandkids someday!

My question is this - we are building a new garage at our lake lot to house the trailer. We intend to use the trailer as a "guest suite" for visiting family and friends when they come to the lake, much like my grandparents did. However, theirs was parked on an open driveway. Is there any danger in staying in / using the trailer while parked inside a garage? Unlike a car, there is no motor spewing carbon dioxide. Fridge will be on shore power and not LP, and I would not expect any cooking (with gas) to be occurring as all meals will be in the main house. Everything else will be running off of electricity. I can't think of any reason why this would be a dangerous situation, but wanted to get opinions from the masses before we do something silly. Not sure if anything from the trailer would emit some form of gas / fumes that would be dangerous to your health.

I look forward to your feedback on this, as well as many years ahead of sharing thoughts, comments, questions, and life's stories with you! Thanks.
Fuzzy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:51 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Welcome to the forum.

A couple of things for you to mull.
1-Modern Airstreams (and all travel trailers) are required to have a functioning CO detector when built. The one in yours will be powered by a 9 volt battery. Check it every time you use the trailer, inside or not.
2-If the outbuilding is not intended to be climate-controlled, simply have a vent mounted on each end wall, near the peak of the roof. That should move most "stuff" outside, as well as help keep the temp in the building from being quite as stifling in the Summer.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
It's a garage, leave the door open. Otherwise, just make sure that you shut the propane off at the tank, cranked off tight. Most systems are automatic and you wouldn't want a malfunction allowing something to switch back to propane without your knowledge.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:06 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Franklin County , Missouri
What would happen if the garage caught on fire for some reason while sleeping in the RV? I doubt anyone would make it out of the trailer. If you do use it this way I would lock the propane tank shut so some guest does not accidentally does not start a gas fired appliance such as the water heater or furnace. Bottom line I would not do it. I would pull it outside for their use. Much better safe than sorry.
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI927 View Post
What would happen if the garage caught on fire for some reason while sleeping in the RV? I doubt anyone would make it out of the trailer. If you do use it this way I would lock the propane tank shut so some guest does not accidentally does not start a gas fired appliance such as the water heater or furnace. Bottom line I would not do it. I would pull it outside for their use. Much better safe than sorry.
But it's at a lake, so there's probably trees around, WHAT IF a tree falls on it, they probably won't make it out, at least in the garage the building will absorb some of the impact...

You can WHAT IF anything into not doing it. Realize and mitigate any potential problems
Old 05-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulaations on your new baby. May you have safe travels and many great Airstream Adventures with her.

As to your question, I don't see any problem in using the Airstream as a guest suite in the garage. It would probably be a good idea to leave the LP gas off at the tanks. It would also be a good idea to leave the garage door open when the Airstream is occupied.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:12 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Welcome. I concur regarding the propane, just in case.

Depending on the weather (and the scenery), you may want to pull it out so you can get a natural breeze through the trailer.
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Welcome to the forum!

Myself, I would not hesitate to sleep in a trailer while parked in a garage.

I suggest you leave the garage door open, or at least two windows, while the trailer is occupied. A fan to increase air flow through the building would be great. Some sewer gas/smells will be emitted through the vent each time the toilet is used. If you are not able to dump the tanks, add chemicals to keep things smelling fresh as possible.

As long as the propane supply to the furnace, water heater, and range is disabled hazard of fire is minimal.

If you expect to use it during cold weather provide an electric heater.

add edit:
If you choose to use the propane appliances, in addition to providing adequate ventilation and several feet of clearance from combustibles, move any stored fuel outside.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you are designing / building the garage from scratch: set it up so you can open up the side of the building that the door of the trailer will face. Ideally, set it up so there is a nice view. That way, when you have guests - slide open the barn doors and they have a really nice setup.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Plan or rough-in for your sewer, water and power connections before the concrete floor is poured. Vents at each end at the eves will help dispel the toilet fumes as they are generated.

If the rear window of the 33 is a fire escape, plan for the garage door at the back to be open when the unit is occupied as well as one adjacent to the primary entrance to the trailer. One wants a "no thought required" exit path if a fire issue were to happen.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
If the garage is attached with a door into the house, put the garage on the right side of the house so the Airstream door faces the house. Garage doors on both ends is a nice touch.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
A lot of Chicken Littles out there. Ventilate and use. That's my $0.02.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:08 AM   #13
Jim

2016 30' International
Big Lake , Alaska
We took a different approach to using our AS at our lake place in Alaska. I had a driveway and pad site cleared near the lake and a septic system installed specifically for the trailer. I still need to run electrical and water to the area and build a deck. The plan is to park next to the lake in the summer time and store it under a roofed bay off the garage in the winter time.

While we have had folks stay in our AS while parked in the RV garage at our current home in Texas, we always open all garage windows and leave the garage door open. It is a very large space so I don't worry about any toxic gasses but do turn off the propane at the tanks just in case.
Jim
akjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Our garage has a dedicated bay for an RV and that’s where we store our AS. The garage has a smoke detector and a separate fire detector (both required by code in our area). The fire detector is connected to the alarm system in our house and automatically calls for emergency assistance if a fire is detected in the house or garage. The AS has a smoke detector and propane gas detector. We keep the propane off and the trailer plugged into the dedicated 30-amp plug in the garage. Fridge and water heater are both off but water is accessible with the pump. I’ve stayed in the trailer overnight and we’ve had guests stay there as well. No problems. But we encourage visitors to use our restroom in the house most of the time. It makes for a handy guest quarters but not for extended visits. Our guests actually look forward to getting to stay there.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:41 AM   #15
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you are designing / building the garage from scratch: set it up so you can open up the side of the building that the door of the trailer will face. Ideally, set it up so there is a nice view. That way, when you have guests - slide open the barn doors and they have a really nice setup.

Bob
This is exactly what I was going to say. I'm in the process of planning a new 'small' home, and the Airstream will be a 'guest room'. I am going to design it so that there will be a rollup door along one side that could be opened when the trailer is occupied, so it doesn't feel like the trailer is "in" a garage, but more like a covered space. If cold, propane heat could safely be used. Option two will be some large windows along that side, that provide plenty of light, and also can be opened, allowing for fresh air in the garage. If in winter, windows stay closed, propane off, but they still don't feel 'enclosed.' Garage will also have 30 amp service, water and sewage connection.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:04 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
Using airstream while in storage

What if the sun doesn't come up tomorrow.

use it all of the safety features of a airstream will work as well inside as outside

Carry on
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Something like this
Old 05-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nice, but it looks like that shiny aluminum trailer cannot pull out and head for the road.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #19
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
I cannot mention names, but a very famous former pro football player and his GF rented warehouse space next to a friends business and lived in an Airstream inside. He had all his sports gear and trophies spread out in the warehouse. Sometimes at night some NHL players would come over and they would play roller blade hockey in the parking lot.

So, yeah, it can be done.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I would check and see if your governing entity has adopted building codes that would have to be considered. It is my understanding that in most cases an outside window for bedrooms is required and is large enough for egress in case of an emergency.

EMERGENCY ESCAPE AND RESCUE OPENINGS
Both the 2012 IBC and 2012 IRC require emergency escape and rescue openings in sleeping rooms below the fourth floor of a building, and in all basements except those that are used only to house mechanical equipment which are less than 200 square feet in area. The 2012 IBC also contains some exceptions to this for rooms in buildings that are fully equipped with a fire sprinkler system, or for rooms that open directly to a corridor that leads to an exit in two directions.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote