Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Surf City , New Jersey
Underground storage

I recently came across Brady's Underground storage outside of Pittsburgh.
Its an old limestone mine below ground.Looks good for storage.
Two options given
1 Constant temp of 65 degrees with controlled humidity of 63 percent for $63 per month or
2. Uncontrolled place that is 54 degrees and not humidity controlled for $29
Obviously the lower rate is attractive. Last winter I just left it at the RV resort and left the fantastic fan vents open under special covers that allow that.
So that did not control humidity either.I know you can put in some of these options that absorb humidity but I was thinking venting fresh air is better.

Im interested in others thoughts For those of you interested the website is
www.bradysbend.com
weber.roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Rodger,
My advice is not to go cheaper. I did this(years ago) at the same cave you mentioned and ended up with a trailer full of mold. Not noticeable on the walls but internally throughout. And it even got into the furniture padding and under the carpet. Eventually, sold that Airstream, after repeated cleaning did nothing to stop smell of it. If you have your heart set on using this cave, opt for the $63 air controlled section to (maybe) avoid what I went through.
P.S. If I remember correctly, I think it was stored there for about 1 year.

I made a mistake on my original note. So instead of retyping I just want to say that the place I stored my airstream was near Ellport,PA. but it was also a limestone mine.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Go for humidity and temp control. That pricing is not unreasonable for secure storage. However, do additional research on the experience. Have read about dust and being blocked in as concerns with some underground storage. Seems like a good idea, but having not done this option, I would be concerned about what I did not know. You are right to investigate. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:11 PM   #4
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I stored a trailer at Brady's bend. Good experience. Close everything up and go with humidity control.