Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Colville , Washington
Trailer towing during winter

Hi all,
I have some questions about pulling a trailer on winter roads. I will be pulling our trailer back home this winter (1st time) over two passes. Of course, I will watch the weather and try to hit the best weather possible. It is about (on dry roads) a 2-1/2 hour pull to get home. My truck has (4) studded tires and is fwd.

1) Has anyone ever used a set of chains on your trailers ? Would (2 or 4) studded tires on the trailer axels be the best way to go ?

2) Should I be applying brakes to the trailer "only" manually ? Should brake adjustment be on the "light" side to illiminate any "brake bump" ?

3) If I have too, I can throw a set of chains on my truck. I really don't care how long it takes me to get home, I just want to be safe.

I've live in snow country and have driven in snow country for 40 years but never pulled our AS on slick roads. Any experienced advice is welcome.
Thanks guys,
Dan
Danny Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Dan,

We live in Fairbanks and have made a couple trips to the southwest leaving in late Feb to early March and also pulled north in Oct so have dealt with snow a fair amount. Best advice I can give is just slow down to suit the roads and don't be afraid to kick it into 4x4. We don't do anything different in brake or hitch adjustment and don't see a need to based on how it pulls. We have made the trip once with a 28' toyhauler that weighed around 8k and a couple times with the 25' EB. Used a conventional Drawtite with no sway control a couple times and once with our current Andersen. I do like the Andersen much better, slippery roads or not.

We also use winter rated tires and carry chains for the Dodge but not the trailer. I haven't pulled in deep snow and wouldn't attempt it, worse was probably around 4 to 6 inches.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I haven't garnered the courage to pull mine on slick roads. I would think accelerating up hill, braking down hill, and curves would be dicey icy. I can imagine going down a slick grade would cause the trailer to start pushing my Super Duty one way or the other.

Airstreams don't like salted roads. Their corrosion protection is not as good as our tow vehicles.

And you have to winterize before approaching freezing temps.

So far, we have just stayed home during the long winter months.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We'd suggest making your truck as ready as you can for ice and snow. But if you think you need chains, it's time to get off the road.

We have also found that with a little map work, we can locate perfectly good two-lane highways where the passes are much lower than on the Interstate.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Some people take their Airstream to ski areas in the Colorado mountains.

But not me!

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403 Globetrotter in the Mountains.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	295.1 KB
ID:	224210  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
IMHO, that's why it has wheels....so you can take it South in the winter, and North in the summer.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ice...no dice.
I like my AS nice.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I have pulled 4 and 6 place snowmobile trailers in snowy and icy conditions for many years.

I set my brake control so that the trailer brakes come on before the TV brakes do. Otherwise your trailer will try to pass you at the most in opportune times, especially going downhill.

Make gentle slow stops, trying to let the trailer stop the TV.

Accelerate slowly also. All wheel or four wheel drive is almost a must.

Drive slower than you normally would, watching the traffic all around you. Be careful to steer straight ahead, no weaving or jerking the wheel.

If you do start to skid, do not over steer. Touch the brakes to activate trailer brakes slightly. Keep your rig straight.

Going down slick mountain passes is really dicey. Go slow, use trailer brakes lightly to keep everything in a straight line.

Try to stay in at least one dry track.
Good luck.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote