Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
1976 Argosy 20
Flagstaff , Arizona
To cover or not to cover

I just purchased my first airstream.....a bicentennial yr beauty with a great body. Would like to keep it that way, but dont have a carport or garage. Has anyone tried using a cover or custom cover for shelter from the elements? Is this advisable or will it do harm? Anyone have a favorite brand? Has anyone tried the Tyvek on the inside, poly on the outside type? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
goldenlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Unfortunately, someone put a cover on my trailer some time in the past, with the result that the clearcoat was damaged, and became opaque in large areas. I had to strip and re-coat. The movement of a cover in the wind, plus high humidity under the cover may well account for this. The standard advice is not to use a wrap-style cover. I built a pole barn for six hundred dollars, and this protects amply.
Nick.