Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Mahomet , Illinois
tire pressure monitor -- remove for winter?

After a blowout on a busy two lane I bought a TPM system, and have appreciated the trouble free information they provide. I wonder if I should remove the monitors and bring them indoors for the cold months (Illinois winters), or if they are fine left on my valve stems. Second question: I've not yet had to replace the batteries on the tire monitor units, and not sure if that is a tricky procedure or simple. Where do I find those batteries? Any help on these questions?
wtrclrptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
I remove TST TPMs and bring them inside. You can replace the batteries but I would recommend having the o-ring kit they sell on hand as you will likely break them removing the batteries.
Old 10-27-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks for reminding me. I bought a new TPS for my trip this summer and now the trailer is parked for the winter. My plan is to remove the sensors. But there is the trouble of marking each one so that I do not have to go through the initializing again. And I think I will take the sensors off the truck also until next year.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Ck your manual, mine stop transmitting w/o air pressure.
I remove if stored for more than a week...😳

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-27-2018, 07:10 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
We always pull the TPMS sensors for the winter. Heck, we remove just about everything on the trailer that's removable. Since we're going to be doing a full reset and scrubbing in the spring, the less left on the better.
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Thanks for reminding me. I bought a new TPS for my trip this summer and now the trailer is parked for the winter. My plan is to remove the sensors. But there is the trouble of marking each one so that I do not have to go through the initializing again. And I think I will take the sensors off the truck also until next year.
When you remove them, put each in its own small baggie. Then write on the baggie to indicate which is which.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I have the TST 507 external sensors.

Like the others said, these quit transmitting when they are removed from the tire. To save battery life, I remove them for winter storage.

The batteries are fairly common coin cells, size CR1632. As Adventure.AS said, it is best to get a set of O-rings from TST and change them at the same time. Handling the O-rings is kind of fiddly. I recently changed my four batteries and O-rings, and it took me about 45 minutes, including gathering the batteries and O-rings, clearing space to work (so I don't lose the tiny screws), and removing/installing the sensors.

If you have a different brand, they story might be different.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we remove all electric items and most everything else

the TPMS we remove and we leave them on the TV . the ones on the As would just beep with low pressure all winter and wear down the battery
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:52 AM   #9
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
I also have the TST 507 external sensors. We leave them for about 8 months per year, until the weather gets cold. Maybe I'll start pulling mine off after a week like ROBERT CROSS but so far I've left them on for the whole season.

TST recommends changing batteries every 1-1.5 years. What has been your experience? Ours are two years old and I guess due for a change.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
TST monitors turn off to increase battery life if they do not sense pressure. Regardless, I leave mine on all year (the truck and trailer are indoors). I replace the batteries every year (CR1632, as noted)--as much to inspect the O-rings as to keep the batteries fresh. I use silicon grease on the O-rings and buy batteries from Amazon.

I have flow-through monitors on 16" Michelin LT tires on Ultra aluminum wheels. I would not buy flow-through again. The tires don't loose air and replacing the batteries is fiddly: A good Phillips 000 screwdriver is required. I've had two monitors fail in four years; I carry spares.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:09 AM   #11
S/OS # 023

2005 28' Safari S/O
Indianapolis , Indiana
We have had our TST 507 monitors for 3 years - the first winter I did not remove them - batteries continued to drain and were replaced the following season - not a difficult job - exercise caution when removing the covers and the O-rings survived
I removed the sensors the next winter and replaced in the spring
batteries were fine. Great peace of mind to be able to monitor TP and Temp as we travel
PovIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:17 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
All the concern about sensor batteries, what about Winter storage for the tires?😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1ebc.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	326491  
Old 10-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
I take off the valve-stem sensors after every trip.

Quick job, especially on our Bambi.

Supposedly the sensors go to sleep and stop burning battery power once you remove them.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:30 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Mahomet , Illinois
Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful. Sensors now tucked safely into a warm place for winter.
wtrclrptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Shawnee , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Each of the TPM have unique number attached. Just record the TPM# associated with Front and Rear Passenger, Front and Rear driver -- they are a note in my iPhone. Thanks for reminding me to remove them for the winter.
Vagabonds_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:06 PM   #16
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have left my PressurePro's on for 11 years and no replacements needed. Except for ones the dog chewed up.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
When you remove them, put each in its own small baggie. Then write on the baggie to indicate which is which.
That's what I do, except I put them in old prescription-drug bottles, with a label for each saying where it belongs (port or starboard on our Bambi is all I need to know).
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Fanwood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
That's what I do, except I put them in old prescription-drug bottles, with a label for each saying where it belongs (port or starboard on our Bambi is all I need to know).

I too remove the sensors when we come home from every trip.
I use a container/box with dividers inside (like medication box) to store the sensors to keep track of which sensor is to be on which tire.
Atsushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
As for keeping track of which is which, my TSTs came with stickers that you put on the sensor. I have also used a white felt tip marker (it is basically white paint) to write directly on the sensor.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have a different brand than the TST but I use a silver Sharpie marker to write on them. Sensors get removed when I winterize. We have one more trip scheduled this weekend then next week we empty much of the trailer for the winter. Winterizing just feels like another cycle in life. Its good to remember the past trips of the summer, find all the things put in the trailer that never get used and also allows me to remember where I put all those odds and ends. The bad part is the snowflakes will be flying soon and daylight savings will be coming to an end. To work with the headlights on, back home at night with the headlights on. The lack of daylight over the next 3 months is hateful!
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote