Old 12-05-2017, 07:56 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Denton , Texas
Texas winterization needs

Have our 28í International, fully covered, protected from north wind. I know the metal covered storage units warm up quickly on sunny days, am wondering if temps at or barely below freezing, 28-30 degrees, will it be ok without winterizing? Will only be below freezing a short time and it has been in the 80ís here for days.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Marshall Ford , Texas
Well, freezing is freezing. And besides temperature, duration is also important.

The other thing to think about is cause and effect. The effect of freezing with cause you to spend a lot of money.

Just south in Central Texas and needing to drain the water heater,

John

Old 12-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSuenoFarms View Post
Have our 28’ International, fully covered, protected from north wind. I know the metal covered storage units warm up quickly on sunny days, am wondering if temps at or barely below freezing, 28-30 degrees, will it be ok without winterizing? Will only be below freezing a short time and it has been in the 80’s here for days.
For peace of mind, if you wonder if you should winterize, then you SHOULD winterize. It's just like deciding to take in your awning when the wind picks up. The time to do it is when you first think about doing it, instead of running the risk of waiting and then being caught unprepared and having to scramble to get it done.

In the case of winterizing, I routinely check the long-range forecast for my area, and if the overnight low temperature is predicted to fall below freezing before the next time I plan to use my Airstream, I go ahead and winterize. Winterizing is no big deal, and neither is unwinterizing when I use my Airstream again. Some winters I never have to winterize, but one winter I winterized my Airstream FIVE times in between winter camping trips.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I am in Houston, so you are in a little colder area. In 10 plus years of AS ownership I have never winterized. Like you, mine lives in an enclosed metal storage unit. I figure a 10 degree difference between inside and outside temps.

Our dips to below freezing for a few hours overnight, aren't enough cold hours to do anything to the AS, although it can be very effective at killing plants.

If we get one of those rare hard freezes with temps below freezing for a day or two, then I set the furnace to 50 or so degrees and let it run as needed.

Hope this helps.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I bought my TT in Mineral Wells, TX with a busted tank and plumbing at a greatly reduced price because the PO thought the same about avoiding winterization.

It is mandatory for North Texas. Itís only south of San Antonio towards the Valley one can be casual.

You must not remember December, 1989 here in D/FW. 6 or 7 straight days of temps around 20F. And winds to make it even more uncomfortable. Plenty of houses didnít survive that one. Or New Years 1978 or 1979 ice storms.

Weather is almost always good thru New Years Day. Overnight lows near freezing might not be a problem when temps in the daytime get into the 50s, but thereís no guarantee of it.

Like any other new job it is best with proper tools and supplies. And experience makes it easier.

First freeze is traditionally the week before Thanksgiving. Itís also a great long camping weekend. So consider December 1st the last date.

Mid-March is the other end of things. But because of sustained high winds, cloud cover and overnight lows, itís like an early November blue norther out of Canada. Be prepared to reverse it.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
. . .
. . . if you wonder if you should winterize, then you SHOULD winterize.
. . .
Amen!

Denton is north of DFW, almost in Oklahoma, right? Hands down you should winterize IMO.

Check the line graphs at the bottom of this January chart:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/de...monyr=1/1/2018

The overnight lows plus strong winds will probably find the weakest link in your plumbing chain, which could possibly be buried deep inside your floor or a wall.

Why take the risk? Do it once and be done with it . . . Peace of mind all winter . . . ďPricelessĒ as the saying goes!

Good luck,

Peter
Old 12-05-2017, 03:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Besides, that far north in Texas, the only thing blocking the wind is the barbed wire fence to your north, and itís down...
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Just wondering how you are making out during this cold winter? Did you fully winterize the AS?

The temps in the monthly chart linked in Post #6 seem to indicate a recent low temp just above 0 F.

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSuenoFarms View Post
Have our 28’ International, fully covered, protected from north wind. I know the metal covered storage units warm up quickly on sunny days, am wondering if temps at or barely below freezing, 28-30 degrees, will it be ok without winterizing? Will only be below freezing a short time and it has been in the 80’s here for days.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:36 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Just wondering how you are making out during this cold winter? Did you fully winterize the AS?

The temps in the monthly chart linked in Post #6 seem to indicate a recent low temp just above 0 F.

Thanks,

Peter
We have been in the teens lately at night here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Anyone who did not winterize is probably in for an unpleasant surprise.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:01 PM   #10

Humble , Texas
See you're from Kingwood, so are we. Brand new owner of 2018 International Signature here. We take delivery on Friday, and if all goes well, will be attempting to back it in to it's new fully enclosed storage unit that evening. Would like to chat sometime, compare notes. I'm as green as they come, much to learn. Take care.

James
Old 01-31-2018, 01:05 PM   #11

Humble , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by extiger View Post
I am in Houston, so you are in a little colder area. In 10 plus years of AS ownership I have never winterized. Like you, mine lives in an enclosed metal storage unit. I figure a 10 degree difference between inside and outside temps.

Our dips to below freezing for a few hours overnight, aren't enough cold hours to do anything to the AS, although it can be very effective at killing plants.

If we get one of those rare hard freezes with temps below freezing for a day or two, then I set the furnace to 50 or so degrees and let it run as needed.

Hope this helps.

Think I got a little quick on the trigger, meant to reply with Quotes, please see my reply above.