Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
"Temporary" cover needed

I am selling my house, which has a large garage in which I have been storing my AS. The new house has no garage, just a nice wide driveway where I can park the trailer. I would like to install a weather cover of some sort to keep sun/rain off my silver toy.
The problem is that due to setback requirements I cannot build any sort of "permanent" structure. According to the building inspector that means nothing that needs anchoring into concrete. I imagine it will have to be some sort of canvas cover supported by poles, but I want the nicest, most robust one I can find. Anyone use something similar?
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Any "temporary" structure needs to be firmly affixed to the ground to keep wind from dislodging it and damaging your trailer. If you are denied the ability to erect a structure (of any type) because it can not make use of the concrete surface as an attachment point, then inquire if some alternative securing method to the surrounding soil is acceptable. There are a few devices that can make use of the soil: search for 'Auger Anchoring Kits' or 'Easy Hook Anchor Kits' that are placed into the adjacent soil and become secure attachment points. Typically, they are used in conjunction with ratchet webbing for retention of the structure. Ask your local authority if this type of anchoring system can be used.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Agree

I think the augers would be acceptable, though bordering on "permanent". I was thinking of screwing the footpads into landscape timbers along the edges and running them through multiple cinder blocks. Certainly this would not be considered permanent but should provide good resistance to wind forces.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
cover

I agree with SeeMore but caution you not to use a cover that comes in contact with the Airstream it will scratch the aluminum.

I think my original cover came from Harbor Freight for the anchor I used 3 gal plastic buckets at each pole filled with concrete never had the cover move even in high wind, on my 3rd cover over XX years. .

Buckets were free from Baskin Robbins.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
How about a metal carport type structure or a metal awning attached on one side to the residence. I have also seen large vinyl garages attached to metal arcs that have lasted for years.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Sadly no

Metal structures are considered permanent, particularly if attached to the residence. I realize the poles on a canvas one are metal, but canvas roofs are considered temporary and metal roofs are considered permanent.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Help

So, given that I need to go with a pole/canvas type structure, is there a particular model or brand that has worked well for others?
Here are some I am considering:
http://www.portablegarageshelter.com...-storage-tent/
http://www.acecanopy.com/heavy-duty-...opy-10x16.html
https://creativeshelters.com/canopy-...g_size=1%205/8
Old 03-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
We've used 5 gallon buckets filled with water & ropes attaching to the horizontal members of the canopy roof to weigh the canopy down when on concrete and anchors aren't available. Further counterweights like the cinder blocks you mention would add stability. Although I'm sure it's a relatively simple calculation and there are load tables to guide you, exactly how much weight needed relative to the roof area is beyond my faculties. While we generally use one at each "column/pole", we're not dealing with the same knock-on effects of it damaging anything if it failed.

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Another option

This one also looks good:
http://www.shelterlogic.com/shop/sup...opy-12-x-30-ft
Old 03-01-2018, 07:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
Have you tried applying for a variance to the setback rules?

Sometimes you are able to work with the local authorities and through some paper work and a fee get approval for what you want to do.

You might at least be able to get them to OK anchoring into the cement.

I did this when I was building a garage, I needed the garage to be closer to the property line than was allowed by the zoning. I applied for a variance, it was approved, paid my fee and built it where I needed it.

Just a thought...
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxGuy View Post
Have you tried applying for a variance to the setback rules?

Sometimes you are able to work with the local authorities and through some paper work and a fee get approval for what you want to do.

You might at least be able to get them to OK anchoring into the cement.

I did this when I was building a garage, I needed the garage to be closer to the property line than was allowed by the zoning. I applied for a variance, it was approved, paid my fee and built it where I needed it.

Just a thought...
I 2nd that idea about a variance. If you can get support from your neighbors that would be helpful. From their perspective a nice carport or garage that matches the construction of the house might be preferable to a tent like thingy.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Impossible

I have had numerous conversations with the building inspector and he is absolutely inflexible on this point. He does not want to set a precedent by making an exception.
I guess nobody has any real world experience with any of the models I am considering. Just hoping for some unbiased opinions before moving forward...
Old 03-05-2018, 07:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
While the inspector is inflexible maybe you could present your case to the town council with full color poster board pictures of what you want to do and show them how much more aesthetically pleasing the metal structure would look as opposed to the fabric structure.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1997 25' Excella
Sault Ste. Marie , Ontario
airstream storage

Perhaps it is easier to keep good relations with neighbors and officials to find off sight storage, rather than skirting the bylaws. These bylaws and rule were placed their for a reason. Sounds like a nice subdivision and likely the reason you purchased there. It could be cheaper in the end as well. Good luck!
first choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Prescott , Arizona
I’m in a similar situation. Mainly as I have an RV pad I poured next to my house. 50amp water and connection to septic tank. Here in Prescott, we get some very intense thunderstorms during the three month monsoon season. Hail is my primary concern.
I don’t want to build anything requiring a permit as the inspection will reveal some other things that may or may not be permitted. [emoji41]

I’m now planning on the following solution. Check out San Diego Sun Shades.

These will require a few posts and are easily taken down when not needed. They’re inexpensive compared to other options and do not constitute a “permanent “ structure.

My pad is 12’x35’ so I will be putting up two 12x16 shades from hooks on house to poles on outer side of pad.

Mounting is very important to withstand the high winds associated with thunderstorms.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by first choice View Post
Perhaps it is easier to keep good relations with neighbors and officials to find off sight storage, rather than skirting the bylaws. These bylaws and rule were placed their for a reason. Sounds like a nice subdivision and likely the reason you purchased there. It could be cheaper in the end as well. Good luck!
Nobody has a problem with the AS being there. We have no HOA and there are numerous other residents with RV's in their driveways (none as pretty as my AS). Off-site storage would make if difficult to work on and impossible to use for guests so I am not interested in that option.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:05 AM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The recomendation for a variance is right on. It is not the inspector's responsibility to rule on a variance. Go in with a signed approval from your neighbors of what you want to do.

The San Diego Sun Shade suggestion also sounds like a good approach. Sunbrella has a good life and local supplier may be able to help with the project. It's also a DIY project that many sailors take on to reduce the cost of canvas on their boat. Get to buy a sewing machine. Might even be able to sell it to a neighbor when you are done.

Be polite, figure out where the stumbling blocks are, and be persistent. Your neighbors are likely the key. If you have their support and the fire department does not have a safety concern, your chances of success are significantly better.

If you strike out, then off site storage is not so bad as long as you can keep the coach on site for projects, guest use, and trip load out. Picking good weather makes sense for most of that anyway. Good Luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote