View Poll Results: Where do you store your trailer?
Next to my stick house in enclosed, indoor storage 19 13.19%
Next to my stick house in covered storage 17 11.81%
Next to my stick house in unprotected storage on a driveway or parking pad 42 29.17%
Next to my house on the ground 17 11.81%
At a nearby enclosed or covered storage facility (10 minutes away or closer) 18 12.50%
At a nearby outdoor storage facility (10 minutes away or closer) 16 11.11%
In a remote storage facility more than 10 minutes away from my house 18 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
Wise Elder
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Survey: Where and how do you store?

While at present I am able to store my trailer and tow vehicle in a 30x80' shed next to my house, I am contemplating a possible move to a new house with more usual amounts of storage space.

It seems like a great inconvenience to me to have the trailer stored away from home and so in addition to the poll questions I'd invite you to comment in this thread on how your situation works out for you.

Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
We stow our trailer away from our house. It is outside which I don't like. We're thinking of building a storage building on some land we have in Tenn. It will be inconvenient but at least the trailer will be inside.

Steve & Beth
AIR 22763
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
We stow ours at this RV park we know. It's really cheap. That's why.

On edit and given sufficient time to reflect on my original answer above, I realize that I'm completely wrong. It's not cheap at all. It's probably the most expensive storage place we ever imagined. (Who else can say that they bought an RV park so that they can store their Airstream?)

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2011 23' International
Tafton , Pennsylvania
AS Storage

We store ours for the winter months in a garage located at my office. It's nice to have it indoors and available to check on periodically. If I didn't have this, I think I would build something for it at home, where it is stored outside during the Spring and Summer months.

nomad3622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Ivins , Utah
Living in a city, although I have enough room to park the unit on my driveway, my neighbors complain bitterly that it "blocks their view" if I keep it there more than a couple consecutive days.

However, I enjoy the security of storing it in a covered storage facility approximately 2 miles from my home.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I store mine in a commercial outdoor storage facility less than 10 minutes away. I have insufficient room on my property to store trailer, and live in HOA community which would prohibit it anyway. I am fortunate the vibe in the neighborhood permits me to bring the trailer home for the night (park on street in front of house) before leaving on vacation-lots of other RVers on the street do the same.

I would much prefer to store it indoors, I think the trailer would almost live forever if that were possible. But around here it would be pretty much impossible. Nothing close, and anything close would be prohibitively expensive if it were custom built. With cleaning and maintenance I've kept it looking nice going on six years.

I like having trailer so close to home, and do not shop around for better deals because of this. I run to storage lot frequently to tinker, often with the pickup/generator. They do not seem to mind me working on the trailer but I try to keep low profile. I've done wheel bearings, roof work, etc. in the lot. They allow washing in the lot, but I prefer to do that in front of my house.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Ours is in the driveway, which is a good thing considering that we're tinkering in it almost daily these days.
Our travel and renovation blog:
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Sparks , Nevada
Mine is now stored in my neighbor's garage (a custom RV garage). It is there because (a) the primo location in my front yard, under the grand old oak turned out to be a bad idea - especially when it dropped a limb and (b) my neighbors were getting grumpy from the blinding shine (NOT).

I love that it is in covered storage and still within 20 steps but hate that I can't sleep in it overnight, under that oak.

funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
We live in NJ approximatly 20 miles north of NYC and finding a place to store our trailer in this area is a problem. We store our trailer in a storage facility with outdoor RV parking 43 miles north of us in NY. You folks that are able to store your trailer near your homes are real lucky.
2007 Safari 25' FBSE LS
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4WD Duramax
2dabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
I would like to build just a "roof" over it so I do not have to shovel the snow off

Has anyone build just a "roof" over there's I have watched some people on the forum build very elaborate set ups. We got so much snow this year in
New England I am afraid to go with the "metal" RV ports...

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated...

Many thanks,

Life Is Not A Dress Rehersal
It's okay to have too much fun
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Point Richmond , California
We store at a nearby (less than two minutes away) commercial facility in an indoor 30 x 50 storage garage. Very convenient, but expensive. The extra space is used for our other stuff.
foboco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
2005 30' Classic S/O
Phoenix , Arizona
I don't see our setup...

We keep ours at a campground 90 minutes away. They are open all year round. It's nice for a day trip during the winter.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Mines on a flat portion of dirt between my shop (that I didn't have the foresight to make large enough to house the trailer I didn't have yet) and my house. Would like to have a roof over it because even though I have it watertight at the moment, I have almost no faith that it will remain that way.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
This works for us. I have reinforced the plastic tarp to support the few inches of snow that we get occasionally. I replace the tarp every 3 years, it's due again.
Attached Images

Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote