Old 02-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Oregon city , Oregon
Stove Burner does not light question

Hi my air friends.

I have a 2 years old 16' Bambi. The stove burner is always hard to light on. Sometimes we have to try like half an hour to get it on. We only use the trailer 3-4 times a year for weekend 2-3 days trip. We have only used it less than 10 times since got it.

Today I de-winterized the trailer. Everything is working including hot air fan, hot water heater. Just the stove burner does not light on no mater how many times I tried the starter. I also used a lighter to try to start it, still not working.

Any advise is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Eresan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Two things are common - you're low on propane - which in cold temperatures really affects the amount of gas that is produced out of the tanks or your propane regulator itself is out of adjustment so there simply isn't enough propane in the lines. Are you also using your furnace or water heater on propane? Sometimes it actually helps to turn more stuff on to help the gas flow.

The sparker can be out of alignment, but if a burner won't light with an open flame held next to it seems like the propane supply might be compromised. Of course if the other burner lights normally it's pretty much down to some kind of blockage between the line and that one burner - perhaps a crimp in the tube?

Last thought, propane often contains a certain amount of moisture and it can precipitate out in a low point in a line. If you hear a bubbling sound, you've got water somewhere in your propane lines. Finding a low point sealed joint and opening the pipe will let out the moisture - and a lot of the smelly chemical they put into propane as a safety thing.

If you don't have previous experience working on propane lines, you might want to take the trailer to a propane supply company and pay them to check and fix the problem. There are a lot of good books and youtube videos showing you how to work with the stuff safely, so if you're a real do it yourself type, go ahead, but have it safety checked by someone else - good common sense on your first effort.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
During this prolonged lighting attempt do you smell gas at the stove? Do the heater and frig work on gas? If the heater works your tanks and regulator are OK.

If you do not smell gas at the burner while attempting to light it loosen the line from the burner valve to the burner at the valve. Once loosened, and you do not have to remove that line just crack the nut, turn the valve on for a few seconds. If you smell gas there the problem is between the valve and the burner. This is safe as long as you put the cigarette down before you bend down to smell.

If you have gas at the valve. Lift the burn head off check the tube leading to the burner. I have seen hot water heater tubes completely filled with stink bugs. Spiders are another possible problem, but if they were the problem you would smell gas at the burner and get some flame, but small.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Is there a shut off valve in the line? It may be be partially closed.
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
When the stove in my Airstream is difficult to light, the problem has been that the burners are loose. A clockwise turn on the center part of the burner makes a difference. Also, I've found that lighting the burners at less than full power helps.

Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
Home of Vortex tuning
2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Cooktop eye will not light with ignitor (Multi-page thread 1 2)

Above is a past thread about this issue, I can't transfer a link to it with this version of air forums. Other forums will have the link in the browser header that will cut/paste a link. If I roll over the post # it will give me a link but when I move the cursor it disappears.
"Chip Tank" is in Vacaville Ca..
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote