Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ely , Minnesota
Storing my AS outside in Minnesota winter?

Hi...

I have looked for a thread and have not found one on this topic. I am planning to store my Safari outside this winter. We live in Northern Minnesota. Other than normal winterizing what do I need to be aware of? I plan to jack it up and get pressure off the axle and cover the wheels, and take the battery out and put it on a battery minder. Should I do anything about the roof... for example, air conditioner, fantastic fans, and other vents? I know not to put a cover over the whole unit, but was wondering about the items I mention above. Will the snow do any damage to the skin? Thanks for any advice.

Bert
bertheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hi Bert,

You could build a big garage to store it in...

Seriously, I think the sun does a lot more damage than snow. We've had our '72 sitting outside through 2 winters now uncovered. Plus, we've had several SOB trailers over the years, and they have all sat outside uncovered. We've never had an issue with leaks in the spring. But, you will want to check all the caulking, sealants, etc. on the roof every spring anyway, just as part of the normal getting ready for camping season checklist. The curved roof-line of the airstream does tend to shed snow faster than a flat roofed trailer, so that might help put your mind at ease too.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Not as far North.....

This is how I do it here in WNY, you can just see that the AC is covered(camping world) together with both FF vents. Batts out and Hensley off.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 WINTERIZE 002.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	374.2 KB
ID:	139234  
Old 09-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
My Safari was parked outside this winter and, other than carefully removing accumulated snow periodically, all was well. I think covering the AC and vents would be a good idea. If you are going to remove the snow, make sure you know where the all the appendages are and be careful around them. I used a push broom to remove snow.

However, I think we have figured out how to avoid all of this without building a garage. We've decided to become snow birds this winter.
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Outside storage can = mice!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Ely , Minnesota
Bob...I notice you take your tires off of your AS. When you store them...do you lay them flat or keep them upright?
bertheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
My 75 Overlander has st outside since 03 - summer, winter, snow and wind. I have had no problems thus far. I do keep all the curtains tightly closed to prevent the UV rays from damaging the interior.
It is in Aitkin, MN
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertheep View Post
Bob...I notice you take your tires off of your AS. When you store them...do you lay them flat or keep them upright?
Bert,

Leaned up against the basement wall side by side, the wheels are number stamped to keep track of rotation, noted in maint log.

Bob
Old 09-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I am in a machine shed and I get them every year. I leave a minefield of various traps and a roof vent partly open. Lots of fabric sheets--(don't know if it really works) are scattered about, well they smell nice!

But the fact still comes down to one thing; mice like Airstreams

p.s. one year I did not catch any....made me wonder what was wrong?
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I made window covers out of reflectix.
I place them between the screen and windows on moveable windows and on the inside of vents and fixed windows. Keep sunlight off the interior as well as the curtains. Have Maxx vent covers, so I don't cover the exterior of the vents. A/C cover is left uncovered. They last about 10 years, and the cost to replace isn't worth the hassle for me. I use tire covers and lift the AS off the ground with 6 ton jack stands under the axle mounting plate. I lower the stabilizing jacks, with just moderated tension so wind won't move the AS off the jack stands. Worked last winter with one blizzard with 60mph gusts.

I've only had my AS for about 15 months....but no mice last winter!!!! I do put a baited "Tin Cat" trap inside and poison pellets in the rear bumper storage and fridge compartment. I always had mice with my previous SOB parked in the same spot. This poisoning/trapping method has worked well for me in the past. I check the trap about once a month in winter.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Little trays with mouse poison spread liberally around (and in hidden access places, like the "trunk" and under beds) plus a full box of dryer sheets left ALL around the cabin.

= No meeses!
Old 09-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We always have our traier outdoors in winter - no special precautions other than plumbing antifreeze and never had any problems - except sometimes the wheel chock are frozen in ice when we want to take it South in Feb.!

As Aage mentions, we also put dryer sheets in all teh cupboards to get ensure nice smelling static free mice!

We have also left a couple of set mouse traps in the trailer as a test, but never caught anything.

I don't worry about anything up on the roof. We do leave all the curtains and skylights closed and fridge doors open.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote