Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2020, 08:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Monterey , California
Storing for two years inside?

I’m taking a two-year job overseas and would not be able to bring my trailer with me.

I currently store our 25 Intl Serenity Twin indoors for $100 dollars a month.

I’m trying to decide whether we should keep the trailer or if we should sell it then come back and get a new one? I hate to sell it because we have lots of memories in this one over the last 3 years, but I just Jeep coming back to the fact I will be making storage payment and loan payments for a trailer I can’t use for at least 2 years.

Also, taking care of it while I’m gone is a while other conundrum. Tires, batteries, etc.

Any thoughts? Does anyone have a similar experience?

GF
giantfuton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Sell.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
If you look at the problem purely mathematically, then it may not make sense to sell and buy again. Speaking from my recent discussions with an AS dealer, you will take at least a 20k hit if you sell a three years old 25' AS. Your expenses on storage, battery, tires could never add up to that. It's true that you won't be using the AS while making the loan payments during these two years, but you will be paying down your principal. Just my two cents.
BTW the above suggestion only holds if you think this is your long term trailer, and you are less likely to trade this in for something else in the future.
AShar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
keep it
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:03 PM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Keep it / store indoors out of sun and weather.

I would put it up on jacks to preserve the rubber in the torsion axles and tires.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
So I personally stored a trailer 3 years while my family was on assignment as expats. In my opinion selling and buying when coming back was going to be more complex and expensive than keeping it stored. And a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush........for me at least. We came back to a trailer ready to restock and go camping.

What I did: I took the batteries out as they would likely be toast and I didn't want any out gassing to corrode or explode things., planned on replacing the tires when returning due to time out. I also made sure it was level, and kept it covered. Fortunately I was back and forth a bit so I kept desiccant (I like DriZAir) replenished inside to keep the humidity about 50%. I also put Contrax block (green so not immediate kill to control secondary kill problems) bait stations (Do It Yourself Pest Control online - use the rat boxes they get squirrels and chipmunks if so inclined to feast under your trailer as well) at each tire and points where a critter could climb inside like tongue jack and power cord. And there was not a bit of food, paper, fiber beyond basic cushions, or any soap/chemical of any type inside. Tanks were well drained and cleaned with a ton of antifreeze dumped in the tanks and traps. Oh, and 4 tires locked with clamps in addition to a strong tongue lock so nobody wanted to try and tow it away.
When we came back it smelled fine, needed the batteries and tires like I planned and we went camping.
So from a person who really has done it - storing is very doable. Now if you are looking for a reason to get a new one when you come back...then pretend you didn't read any of the above.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
I would keep the trailer - store indoors - and basically do what BWEYBRIGHT suggests.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:47 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
Keep the AS. Besides, who knows what interest rates might be on a loan 2 years from now.
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #9
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
So I personally stored a trailer 3 years while my family was on assignment as expats. In my opinion selling and buying when coming back was going to be more complex and expensive than keeping it stored. And a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush........for me at least. We came back to a trailer ready to restock and go camping.

What I did: I took the batteries out as they would likely be toast and I didn't want any out gassing to corrode or explode things., planned on replacing the tires when returning due to time out. I also made sure it was level, and kept it covered. Fortunately I was back and forth a bit so I kept desiccant (I like DriZAir) replenished inside to keep the humidity about 50%. I also put Contrax block (green so not immediate kill to control secondary kill problems) bait stations (Do It Yourself Pest Control online - use the rat boxes they get squirrels and chipmunks if so inclined to feast under your trailer as well) at each tire and points where a critter could climb inside like tongue jack and power cord. And there was not a bit of food, paper, fiber beyond basic cushions, or any soap/chemical of any type inside. Tanks were well drained and cleaned with a ton of antifreeze dumped in the tanks and traps. Oh, and 4 tires locked with clamps in addition to a strong tongue lock so nobody wanted to try and tow it away.
When we came back it smelled fine, needed the batteries and tires like I planned and we went camping.
So from a person who really has done it - storing is very doable. Now if you are looking for a reason to get a new one when you come back...then pretend you didn't read any of the above.
I had to, I would take your approach.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Keep it. Drain it, purge plumbing with air. Put some jack stands under tires, Pull the battery. Put in a dehumidifier if you can. It will cost more to find another one and you know the history of this on.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
If you like it keep it. You will own more of it when you return, and you won’t have the hassle of dealing with a dealer.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I'm with the keep it, prep it for storage, and head on out.....UNLESS.....

you REALLY want a new airstream

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:56 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
chino hills , California
Keep it. In 2 years have it payed off. Stored inside as recommended. $100. A Month “Great price for storage indoors” . And when you get back to Monterey travel travel travel . Enjoy your new adventure, and your new job. Safe travels
redhat200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Mechanical plug/stoppers in any interior drain pipe openings AND the RV Antifreeze... keep everyone's nose happy.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
I forgot to mention to put the DriZair containers in paint buckets from the hardware store....to contain overflow stuff that happens when a friend adds more desiccant while you are gone. DirZair works really well but needs to have a container to catch overflow and keep your spaces clean. Basically I put a small painters bucket with the desiccant in the shower, bathroom, and 4 in living spaces.

You can do this....unless you want to buy a new one when you come back....not going down that path with you. Although I can understand and would not negate that approach, just not for me in my past situation. As I said - A bird in the hand is worth many birds in the bush.
Good luck on your decision. If I can help with information from my storage experience please pm me and I will get right back to you.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Monterey , California
Thanks for the replies everyone. If I’m putting it on jacks what type do you recommend? I’ve also considered just having a buddy who also owns an airstream pull it out every now and again and move it down the road and back just to get the tires moving.

Really would prefer to keep this trailer but making sure the storage plan is 100%
giantfuton is offline   Reply With Quote