Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Storing Airstream in Back Yard

So, I asked this question last year as I was thinking about storage options. But since then, we had decided NOT to sell the house we were in and are staying in our lovely current home for the long haul.

This is good because the neighborhood has no HOA restrictions and folks in my culdesac are really laid back. Also because the back corner of my lot is almost entirely isolated from view. I will post some pics in a bit and give you an idea of what I am working with if I am to store it at home. Worst case, I have some local storage setup I think with covered storage and electric available and dumpsite (pretty close buy, 115 per month as I recall).

to access this back portion though of the yard, would need to drive over the front right portion of front lawn (zoysia grass) and there is right now a basic chain link fence to get to back yard. That area will need a couple trees removed (not large ones luckily and it has otherwise 3-5 of these medium sized trees in that area...there is pine straw there because too much shade for grass to grow....

Anyway, I am wondering if others have converted such a space into good storage..I had this idea of doing something like attaching waterproof sail type material to anchor bolts to some surrounding trees themselves to provide cover from rain/debree. Then I guess I would need to figure out gravel or concrete pad...

Other problem would be that it is not level...has "a bit" of a grade to it....trees/roots in that area could really complicate correcting the grade to needed level to achieve level storage (any idea about up to what grade the jack can correct?).

Otherwise I could have all the trees removed and stumps ground...my guess is that this would be a 2-3k dollar job...perhaps less..not exactly sure...none are massive trees in area of question.

Ultimately, if I plan on keeping an AS for life (of course I am ) - such a setup would be idea...and I could use it as extra square footage when family visit (only the wife and I sleep in it...they can stay in my house )

Any experience with folks as such?

Other plan would be to pay for storage for 5 years, at which time we may be considering buying a lake lot to bring the AS to for weekends worst of summer days to enjoy..and we could build nice storage on that lot....compromise there even with that would be the trailer would not be very close by...not a deal breaker, but not ideal...

Hoping some of you have some great advice on this subject.

I know a concrete pad is ideal...I could in the next year work up a 5-10K dollar budget for this storage solution....doable?

pics to come

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Both of mine are currently sitting on grass/dirt behind the house...

But then again both of mine are basically shells waiting on me to get some welding done.

We are getting ready to build a monster barn where the AS will fit so I can work on it.

My preferred storage would be a carport type cover on a slap or well drained gravel bed with power hookups, sewer and water are not as critical to me.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
same here...although the carport type cover will be difficult unless I remove the trees...thus my idea to do some form of fabric/synthetic whatever as a roof...not sure how that would hold up though...or how to find such a product...or if it exist...probably is some absurd idea I cooked up

Otherwise, I can remove the trees and just build the carport with slab...just not sure how the costs will add up too much

Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You don't need a concrete pad, you can install grasscrete to form a pad for the trailer and as dual track to the 'pad'.

Grassblock - Paving - Grass Concrete Limited - Cellular grassed paving in concrete or plastic

You could put in a gravel pad. Lots of options. Any kind of structure/roof would likely require a permit from your municipality (even when you aren't in an HOA).
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
I used rubber stall mats under mine. I have used sails in other applications. Mine are not waterproof however. I'm sure that the waterproof product is out there somewhere.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
My past and present Airstreams have been parked on either grass, sand, or gravel. I have never stored on concrete or under cover, but I would like to! Uncovered means more roof maintenance.
Right now I drive across grass to get to my gravel parking pad. Seems like every time I need to move the trailer it rains the day before. Constant grass repair.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I have mine on pressure treated ply wood. Mostly since I'm working on it, and it's easer to get under to work on it. I'm also on a slight grade, so I back the curb side on a 2x6 board. That makes it pretty level.

I guess the question is how hard would it be to get it in and out. If it's pretty easy it might be worth it. There is many cover options, including simple car ports with canvas tops.

Also, if you have it at the house you will want power and water hook ups. You can do camping trips in the back yard with the kids, play games, or just drink beer and hide from the wife!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
It is fun and handy to have it at home. I have had mine here for a year now. However I just today rented a storage garage to put it in about 5 minutes from me. I do not have a layout such that I could put up a cover and I simply don't like leaving it out in the weather 100% of the time. In addition, my storage spot on the driveway is under a huge red oak tree that drops leaves, pollen, and there is a high probability of limbs coming out of the tree in a storm.

If your layout is convenient to get it on and off your property and you can build or acquire some sort of cover for it, you are going to really enjoy having it at home.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
very good ideas....that grass product is interesting. Now I just need to map out where I can put it, how I will go about covering it...

The falling limbs point is really an important consideration....I will need to think about that....these trees are pretty small it will be around, so I think as long as there are no major unhealthy trees, that risk will be minimal...will have my tree guy take a look at this all and consider an estimate.

Thanks to you all...keep any cool ideas coming..I would like to over time landscape a groovy little spot for it as well...really would enhance the back yard... SOB not so much

Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
I love having mine at home. There are little things that I want to do to it all along. I have a great concrete drive and enough room to park it and still get around. I am in the process of wiring a RV box with a 50-30 & 20 amp recep. to keep it plugged in without running an extension cord.

The covenants for my subdivision requires that no one can live in the trailer part or full-time while it parked here.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
This our home storage.

It is very nice to have the trailer at home.

Regards,

JD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	579.7 KB
ID:	188612  

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #12
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I have no idea what town you are in, but before building pads and such, might it not be a good idea to just run it by the town council?

Lots of towns are funny about habitable trailers in back yards...
Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Have mine on side of yard.. between neighbor fence and my workshop. Power installed, no plumbing on that side of yard...yet.

Have 'storage', but too hard to work on problems I am working through since purchase, over at the 'storage' facility... so.. for now it is parked here.

Access to my yard is touchy due to angle, road dip at driveway entrance, etc, but I have done using some tricks..

It is nice, too, because I can now 'service' here in my free time and have available when 'guests' visit...

Adding 'cover' is possible... but, long term, you will want to build something unobtrusive. If you store more than camp, then getting off the tires, then covering them to protect from the sun is ideal.. Covering the whole AS will be a challenge as anywhere something 'touches' the shell, you will have mechanical abrasion issues...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I have no idea what town you are in, but before building pads and such, might it not be a good idea to just run it by the town council?

Lots of towns are funny about habitable trailers in back yards...
I have another thread I think on this topic from last year...I will dig into that for sure before I do that for sure....especially if erecting a cover....my area seems pretty lax as there are folks with trailers (SOB's) in the area parked next to their house - one guy up the road has an old AS next to his house right out in plain view...a few miles from my house.

one guy keeps a small toy hauler looking trailer on street curb with his jeep...nobody seems to care much.....

Of course, it only takes one neighbor, then things get technical....but I know my neighbors very well, they would not be the ones to call, and frankly, they would have to try hard I think to notice the trailer....for passers by in my culdesec, they would not see the AS at all.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
This our home storage.

It is very nice to have the trailer at home.

Regards,

JD
sweet..my problem is that my incline is uphill upon entry...it may not be quite as steep as your grade, but in the ballpark I imagine...I could just (if needed) dig in and build retaining walls to create flat spot (brother is a mason luckily).

will post pics tomorrow and need to make some measurements.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
There's nothing like having your A$ stored at home under cover. There's less maintenance all around especially on the roof. We have a large garage and store the A$ in the back corner. It sits on jack stands all winter with the weight off the axle and a maintenance charger going all the time. I installed a plug on the wall next to it as we are in and out a lot. I know this is not doable everywhere but the more storage protection you can provide the more life you will get from your A$.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Hey Geek;
Go buy that AS you have been looking at The tow vehicle, hitch etc. and go camping. Camping is suppose to be relaxing but you are making too much work out of it. Don't worry about the other guy. This is NOT the same as school and Pharmacy (Pharm ?)
RELAX AND TAKE THE FAMILY GO CAMPING !!!
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
Did you ever buy one? That is the first step. I bought one, then figured out the rest and ended up eventually getting more capable tow vehicle, etc. Good luck. There are plenty of them sitting around unused!
mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Hey Geek;
Go buy that AS you have been looking at The tow vehicle, hitch etc. and go camping. Camping is suppose to be relaxing but you are making too much work out of it. Don't worry about the other guy. This is NOT the same as school and Pharmacy (Pharm ?)
RELAX AND TAKE THE FAMILY GO CAMPING !!!
mike

I hear ya, I hear ya...Im not far at this point from just relaxing and doing my thing...but I still obsess this until I pull the trigger.

Don't get me wrong though...I am not trying to talk myself out of this, I just enjoy being prepared with this stuff and when I make the decision, I felt it was after much effort and preparation...this (for me) makes the final event even more exciting.

Also, all the preparation I do not really find stressful...that is part of my "geek" nature I guess you can say

Pharm is indeed a reference to my being a pharmacist...I am a clinical pharmacist at a VA hospital - I manage veterans' diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, thyroid medication, and coumadin (blood thinner)...so I am not your most traditional form of pharmacist....kinda like a pharmacist/nurse practitioner if you will to put it in other terms...anyway...I digress...

Dont worry you all...believe me...I am pretty close to doing this thing. I have approval for the money - the wife and I are in agreement...I am in email communication with a dealer closeby and already talking turkey...

I go next week and test drive tow vehicles...probably gonna splurge there and buy a nice new shiny TV

Once we are camping, dont you worry, I will be chillin and relaxing with the fam having a good ol' time.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbguy View Post
Did you ever buy one? That is the first step. I bought one, then figured out the rest and ended up eventually getting more capable tow vehicle, etc. Good luck. There are plenty of them sitting around unused!

You probably are right...although, I simply am incapable of this...I will need to do my best to make what I hope is an informed decision...but ultimately I concede that with my own experience I will change my tune...but, I hold on to the premise that with this preparation I will make acceptable long lasting choices my first try.

This mantra has worked quite well in my life so far