Old 06-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Driving on grass is a slippery subject. There is alot of clay in Alabama and when it gets wet you are pretty much screwed. If you go outside and you feel like you are walking on a wet sponge don't even try to drive across the yard. You are on a hill and that is in your favor. Depending on the slope you may need 4WD.

Perry

Definately will have 4wd.

I am going to make a thorough inspection of the ground as such when it rains soon.

I first and foremost need to figure out if I can successfully pull it on the grass even temporarily..if not...or if that simply is too highly questionable...then priority number one is not a cover or pole barn....but to make some sort of functioning "drive way"...I would need to pave it with something...some tracks that would work....but that would not look like crap hopefully.

I was kinda thinking that a good solution would be to put down some stone or pavers (or something like that) for which it could blend in a bit still with the grass, but provide better "tracks" to reach the back yard.

The more I think about it...the more I think I am just going to need to call the business my brother knows and that does driveways and other types of paving....and just get them to come out and assess and price me a solution as step number one (as well as with that tree removal as needed)....then I can worry about cover...

Step one, ill need a darn place to park it..

Hmm...wonder if he paves a small drive back there if it will require a permit...i presume so...especially if while he is doing this, he will fix my grade issues in the back yard for the area in question.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I actually don't believe in storing a new Airstream under cover, especially during the warranty period.

Keep it outside and pray for rain - lots of rain.

Then you'll know whether or not it leaks.

When the warranty has expired - even if I had it under cover - I would pull it out during a good rain now and then just to do a leak inspection. I wouldn't want to discover a leak on a long trip; I would start obsessing about it and would end up turning around and head for the home dealership.

So much for a relaxing vacation.
....had not thought of it in that respect...the good thing about this section of the yard (sorta, I guess good) is that it will be shaded...all day long...so then if I had it uncovered, the only issue I would have would be contact with rain and debris from trees....I could see my AS in this spot if not stored right getting quite dirty there after a rain or two...

Had not thought about your point about wanting leaks during warranty...that actually makes sense...otherwise I would only be exposed to water when camping and in tow...hmm

Also, as it relates, I kinda like the aesthetic of the AS uncovered in the back yard with perhaps some clever landscaping in the area...would look great...

Old 06-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
We store our Airstream in the driveway next to the house in the shady area. The Airstream now has a big dent in the center segment at the back and there is a dead branch lying on the ground behind it. Sure wish it had hit the truck instead.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
All you need for your 'tracks' to the back yard are two strips of the grass block I linked to earlier spaced the same distance as your TV and Trailer tires. With grass growing in the voids, they'll blend in nicely. There are many paving options, but you don't need to have a full width driveway, just a pair of tracks to drive on.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Also, as it relates, I kinda like the aesthetic of the AS uncovered in the back yard with perhaps some clever landscaping in the area...would look great...
Pharm, I love that idea too. Airstreams are edgey; there are so many interesting ways one could create a backyard camping vignette. Instead of thinking of the Airstream as the home away from home, make it a part of the home experience. The focal point of the backyard. Unleash the creativity.....

Log sitting stools covered with glow-in-the-dark paint.

I have only been away 3X with the FaN. It is really my backyard woman cave and bedroom. Before buying the FaN, I was toying with the idea of building a guest cottage/writing studio, but decided on the trailer because I like the mobility option.

(Aside from that, I'm basically cheap, and figure I'm getting more
bang out of my Airstream buck).
Old 06-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
All you need for your 'tracks' to the back yard are two strips of the grass block I linked to earlier spaced the same distance as your TV and Trailer tires. With grass growing in the voids, they'll blend in nicely. There are many paving options, but you don't need to have a full width driveway, just a pair of tracks to drive on.
EXCELLENT!!! I forgot to even think about this.

So alls I NEED NOW to to is to put down these strips and I can get back in there ok...clear the tree(s) needed to get to the desired spot...I was peaking at the yard a min ago and I am realizing there are a number of possibilities of where to park it...one way would require only a single tree's removal...so possibly one tree roved, set down the grass tracks, and I am at least ready to pull the AS home after purchase and park it...then I can get my money together to build something...or not at all and just create a space for it to sit there...ill have to stew on that.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Pharm, I love that idea too. Airstreams are edgey; there are so many interesting ways one could create a backyard camping vignette. Instead of thinking of the Airstream as the home away from home, make it a part of the home experience. The focal point of the backyard. Unleash the creativity.....

Log sitting stools covered with glow-in-the-dark paint.

I have only been away 3X with the FaN. It is really my backyard woman cave and bedroom. Before buying the FaN, I was toying with the idea of building a guest cottage/writing studio, but decided on the trailer because I like the mobility option.

(Aside from that, I'm basically cheap, and figure I'm getting more
bang out of my Airstream buck).

My sister is an interior designer and she was interested in this backyard landscaping idea...sounds like fun...

She had the idea of the "sails" as a cover from rain and debris, but it would still keep an open airy feel....of course keeping it entirely closed would have benefits from exposure to elements and some protection from medium sized limbs blowing onto it...this is a real concern with moderate-severe weather...of course if the limb/tree is big enough, that wont stop much

Old 06-20-2013, 07:38 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
some good news I think...in looking at my backyard, there is a spot right in front of that patio that I think could fit the AS in...either without a tree removed or I may just get it removed.

There is about a tad over 10 feet wide clearance between the patio and the tree in question....AS "exterior width" per AS website is 8'5.5"....so that gives me 18.5 inches or 9.25 inches on either side of the trailer....I think that tree is going to have to go..too close for comfort for me...but still, that is only 1 tree!

And the trailer would then be positioned alongside the grass line and patio....

Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I added two more photos to my link:

look from front to back yard: Photo by Photographer Ellery Curtis - photo.net

This is look from front to back yard....that spot directly ahead is perhaps the spot...that tree in the middle is a bit more than 10 feet from patio edge..probably will remove that tree...then there is a CLEAR spot for the trailer...not sure about leveling the trailer on this spot...I could use some leveling blocks and such I suppose....but if needed, will need to work on the grade

and view from screened porch above...see the tree in question dead center

look from screen...: Photo by Photographer Ellery Curtis - photo.net

Old 06-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
You don't need a concrete pad, you can install grasscrete to form a pad for the trailer and as dual track to the 'pad'.

Grassblock - Paving - Grass Concrete Limited - Cellular grassed paving in concrete or plastic

You could put in a gravel pad. Lots of options. Any kind of structure/roof would likely require a permit from your municipality (even when you aren't in an HOA).

I do not understand this exactly...is it like a mold, then pour concrete leaving open spots for grass to grow?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
wonder how much it is per square foot?

Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I do not understand this exactly...is it like a mold, then pour concrete leaving open spots for grass to grow?
No, the blocks are already made. Think concrete blocks but in a different shape. You'd lay them out on a prepared surface of compacted earth, gravel and/or sand to ensure a solid base to drive and park upon. The voids are filled with topsoil and seeded. Cost would be dependent on how close you are to a concrete plant that manufactures and distributes them. There are other manufacturers of similar products, so look into what is available locally.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
ahh, i see, but this "grasscrete" you linked to actually is a mold for concrete....pretty cool, but probably more expensive...it is a mold, use rebar reinforcement in the slots, then melt off the tops that become the spots for grass...its all reinforced and much less prone to shift...but probably more useful for commercial use with huge vehicles perhaps going over them.....

I need to find what you are talking about then....so bascially these are pavers...I see

here would be one "problem"

I have a few sprinkler lines...my landscaper who installed said driving over them I will have no problem and if I did, he would repair (he installed them)....probably can avoid this problem pretty easy...just skip over the lines and leave a strip there for the line in between tracks no big deal...

Old 06-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Put that AS right behind the patio and have a party spot there.

Perry