Old 06-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The picture in my avatar was taken in the back yard.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You don't have to have a floor in a pole barn. It is supported by the poles not a slab. You do need it level or at least the roof of it. You can have different length poles but as some point you will cuss yourself for not leveling the ground. Rent a front end loader and go to it. You will need something to bust the ground but they should have something like a box blade with tines or a plow for the back.

Perry

Old 06-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
will getting such equipment to the back, and having to go over the front hard severely mangle the front yard in the process?

So what I need to do now:

1) get with the city and get regs and permit (if required)
2) get trees removed that are in the way (there are 2-3 small and middle sized ones that will need to go - probably 700-1000 bucks my guess
3) level the area for the car port
4) have car port installed.
5) later I can pave

Final question...what is folks experience driving over a front lawn with a 30' flying cloud and 3/4 ton truck? moving it out a couple times per month will ikely leave a bit of noticeable changes..if wet then likely to mash it up some....the grass is seemingly well rooted and thick....any experience with this....

I would hate to get the AS home and get it stuck in the middle of the yard -

I am thinking that a front hitch on the truck given this spot back in here is a tad tight is in order as well...?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
if the grass will be a major issue, I will just need to tackle a paving solution up front....really do not want to deal with that expense now...march 2014 I will have some more money to blow on such things if needed...hoping to "rough it" till then at least...

Old 06-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The tree removal may not be so much. Maybe $200-$400. If my saw would start I would come over and help.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I keep mine in the backyard under a 20X10 portable garage raised up an additional 7 inches to clear the AC unit on top. Paving was going to cost over $1500 so I went the do it myself cheap route. 3500 lbs of washed river gravel and 3 cement paving stones for under the wheels and jack foot, for a grand total of $80. So far it is working out very well.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Do yourself a favour and retain a local design-build contractor who knows the local regulations/bylaws and can recommend your best options based on local conditions. Nobody here can really give you realistic recommendations without knowing local conditions and regulations. All you'll get here is a lot of speculation and advise that may not necessarily apply to your situation.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Do yourself a favour and retain a local design-build contractor who knows the local regulations/bylaws and can recommend your best options based on local conditions. Nobody here can really give you realistic recommendations without knowing local conditions and regulations. All you'll get here is a lot of speculation and advise that may not necessarily apply to your situation.
This was my plan...to find a local company that does these car ports often, and get them to come out, go over details, create a plan, and get permit..

what I am still wondering is how will running on that grass go....I think it will go "ok"

Old 06-19-2013, 11:26 PM   #51
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
ok, some more questions:

what dimensions will I need...we are pretty zero'd in now on flying cloud 30'....dimensions (including AC) - 9 wide, 10 high, 31 length (all rounded up a tad).

So my guess is 14 wide, 12 high, 34 length....any experience with this?
I would go at least 14' high. You will very likely have work on the roof to do, and you will also want to be able to sit up straight as some point while doing it.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
good point....the 10' though is the height at the sides...it slopes up to some higher height in the center of the roof...not sure how much though...but your point is well taken....will need to consider some headroom there!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Driving on grass is a slippery subject. There is alot of clay in Alabama and when it gets wet you are pretty much screwed. If you go outside and you feel like you are walking on a wet sponge don't even try to drive across the yard. You are on a hill and that is in your favor. Depending on the slope you may need 4WD.

Perry
Old 06-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Don't Mean to be a Wet Blanket but......

I actually don't believe in storing a new Airstream under cover, especially during the warranty period.

Keep it outside and pray for rain - lots of rain.

Then you'll know whether or not it leaks.

When the warranty has expired - even if I had it under cover - I would pull it out during a good rain now and then just to do a leak inspection. I wouldn't want to discover a leak on a long trip; I would start obsessing about it and would end up turning around and head for the home dealership.

So much for a relaxing vacation.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Leaks in Airstreams hide. They run between the skins and under the floor covering and rot the floor with no outward signs till the floor gets soft. Getting a moisture checker with needle probes on it will tell you if the floor below the plastic floor covering is wet or not. I have had to remove inner skins to find some leaks.

Perry
Old 06-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Thanks for that tip, perry. Will do!