Old 06-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
ok, now go back to my photo.net link and the google map shot is there

the right side with the tree cover is where the photos are....would drive right in front right, need to build a gate to enter...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
front driveway is quite steep FYI....grade too steep for storage...dont let that photo trick you...the left side of that driveway has a pretty steep left to right grade that I think would not be good to pull AS up...off camber bad.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Looks like some trees will have to go. You could put in a second driveway next to the one you have accept this one would be cut into the hill. Otherwise, you are going to have to cut some trees and grade it off flat on the approach. Sounds like alot of building permit nightmares in the city to me. You need a country house to store the Airstream at.

Perry
Old 06-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Keep your AS covered

After we bought our AS we decided two things immediately, that it would be stored under cover and we would keep it in the backyard. (great just for a place to kickback and relax or use for extra space for company). I first bought a fabric cover, but never put it on the trailer, it's not real usable. As soon as possible I built a 31' long x 14' wide x 12' high RV port that connects to my back fence. I have not poured a concrete floor yet but intend to at the first opportunity. Our plan is to be able to pull the AS out and use the RV port as a pavilion for cook outs or entertaining. Local zoning laws would not let me enclose it completely without jumping thru a lot of hoops, but it is closed 3' down from the top. If I was in your position, thinking to invest in a new Airstream, permanent covered storage would be at the top of my agenda. It's just protecting the investment and you will sleep a lot better at night.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Start out with a pole barn concept and gradually improve it to the point where it is an enclosed shed with a concrete floor. Sometimes it is easier to be forgiven than to ask permission. Just make sure you don't put it on an easement for utilities or whatnot or it might get destroyed when they decide to put in a new sewer line along your property line.

Perry
Old 06-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Start out with a pole barn concept and gradually improve it to the point where it is an enclosed shed with a concrete floor. Sometimes it is easier to be forgiven than to ask permission. Just make sure you don't put it on an easement for utilities or whatnot or it might get destroyed when they decide to put in a new sewer line along your property line.

Perry

I think there will be little risk of the city getting involved to be honest...I know all 3 adjacent neighbors...one to the right would not see it at all....one behind are personal friends...and the couple on the other side would at best barely see it, but they are really friendly with us and I anticipate no problems...

I am going to talk to tree service today and keep trying to get ahold of my contractor and discuss as well....

ARGH, I wish my yard was more flat...this would be much less a headache

How much are these pole barnes (these are just basically a roof on some stilts...if I am thinking right, these are like some form of sheet metal roof correct? I suppose if I can find something like this sail idea, that could really work possibly and not require the erection of any form of structure...leaving me just to build a flat pad of some sort...

Old 06-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
another question....if I cleared a tree or two out that created a spot...and just parked it on a slope on some gravel or some other thing as recommended here...that could at least do for now...i will get 10k bucks come march 2014 and could tackle something a bit more pricey if needed....perhaps I can get this "sail" idea to work in the meantime?

I wonder how much it is going to "F" the grass pulling in there...its pretty sturdy grass

Old 06-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You can spend a few k$ on a pole barn or you can spend about the same amount on one of those prefab aluminum things that can get blown away. The pole barn you can continue to improve. You start with a roof then add a slab then add walls etc. I expect you could put up a basic pole barn for about $3k in materials then add labor. I would build one myself with a little help. The simplest way to build one is to get some metal trusses which save you having to make them. You attach the steel trusses to some 4x6 or 6x6 poles that are from 8-12 ft apart. The trusses have holders for 2x6 joists and then you screw some sheet metal to those.

http://www.townofmilo.com/Building%2...0Barn_2011.pdf

Here are those aluminum prefab things. I think one of these with 10-12 ft ceiling and 24x40 was going to cost around $5k all you have is a carport for that price when you could have the begginings of a shop. I expect a more narrow one would be around $3k. I would rather have a more robust structure that I can build on and improve. An aluminum car port is always going to be an aluminum car port.

Carports.com - TNT, Metal Carports, Garages, Buildings, RV Covers, Boat Covers, Barns

Perry
Old 06-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStar View Post
I built a 31' long x 14' wide x 12' high RV port that connects to my back fence.
Tarp covered metal poles attached to garage with gravel floor worked for me, no taxes and didn't need approval from zoning. Found a U.S. made tarp with uv treated plastic and stitched with rope edges, been up a couple of years and I should start thinking about a replacement. Florida sun is strong. If I were to do it from scratch I would consider larger and free standing, would be nice to have enough room to be able to get to the storage compartments. Cement floor would be nice to make it easier to work on underside, sewer connection for those trips without dump stations, 50 amp service to handle new setup. Maybe not, as all extras are taxable.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Fortunately we had plenty of room on a flat lot, but I was budgeting the cost of a carport along with the airstream. If I was going to invest that much money I knew I wanted it protected. Having it at home all the time is very convenient especially when prepping for a trip. It's always ready to be loaded. I can watch the batteries. It's easy to open/close vents for heat and humidity. The only downside is the kids are constantly bugging me to sleep in it.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
The very first thing I would do regarding the idea of modifying your yard, adding a structure, etc, is to research and totally understand the local laws. Whether or not you "get along" with your neighbors or not does not chnage what your relationship is with the local municipality. For instance, suppose your best buddy neightbor moves out, sells his home, and the new owner doesn't like your carport ? If you are in violation of local code, you are hosed.
So do your homework, and find out exactly what you can and can't do. As an example, there might be a restriction that says you cannot have a permanent structure within 15 feet of the property line.
Once you find out what you can do, then start considering the options of what you would like to do, work up the costs associated with it, and start moving forward. It can sound very complicated, but in reality, it's usually pretty straight forward. You might have to submit a working drawing, etc, and pay some minimal fees to the city, but it's normally just a process of stepping thru some bureacratic forms. My experience over the years when dealing with the nitwits in the municipal offices is to keep cool, be polite, bite my tongue, smile pretty....and keep a good sense of humor about the whole thing. Believe me, dealing with city inspectors can be, shall we say, "trying". But in the end, you will prevail, and it will be worth it, because you will know you crossed all your t's and dotted all your I's.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
The very first thing I would do regarding the idea of modifying your yard, adding a structure, etc, is to research and totally understand the local laws. Whether or not you "get along" with your neighbors or not does not chnage what your relationship is with the local municipality. For instance, suppose your best buddy neightbor moves out, sells his home, and the new owner doesn't like your carport ? If you are in violation of local code, you are hosed.
So do your homework, and find out exactly what you can and can't do. As an example, there might be a restriction that says you cannot have a permanent structure within 15 feet of the property line.
Once you find out what you can do, then start considering the options of what you would like to do, work up the costs associated with it, and start moving forward. It can sound very complicated, but in reality, it's usually pretty straight forward. You might have to submit a working drawing, etc, and pay some minimal fees to the city, but it's normally just a process of stepping thru some bureacratic forms. My experience over the years when dealing with the nitwits in the municipal offices is to keep cool, be polite, bite my tongue, smile pretty....and keep a good sense of humor about the whole thing. Believe me, dealing with city inspectors can be, shall we say, "trying". But in the end, you will prevail, and it will be worth it, because you will know you crossed all your t's and dotted all your I's.
I spoke with my older neighbor, he had this same advice...I will take it.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
ok, some more questions:

what dimensions will I need...we are pretty zero'd in now on flying cloud 30'....dimensions (including AC) - 9 wide, 10 high, 31 length (all rounded up a tad).

So my guess is 14 wide, 12 high, 34 length....any experience with this?

Keep in mind, this car port would only be for this singular purpose.

Found a website with google that can make this for about 3K with installation with sides open....just under 4K with closed back and sides, and small gable on front......

Not sure that "carport.com" is the way to go, but at least get a ballpark.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Next question is, can I skip paving or anything fancy till march next year and just park in port on some gravel? Or if I will pave into that area, will it be harder to do it after the carport installation?

Also, if I go straight for the carport....I looked at the far side of the lot that borders the fence....I need to check the property line and speak with city about how far from the property line. Then, the question of leveling the area...my brother is a mason, he is going to come over in a few days...that far side is not as unlevel, I think I could manage it without digging up anything actually....but not sure how the carport install will go on an unlevel surface or if that is ill advised really? I guess I can call that company and see if they deal with that in installs or not...