Old 06-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
This our home storage.

It is very nice to have the trailer at home.

Regards,

JD
sweet..my problem is that my incline is uphill upon entry...it may not be quite as steep as your grade, but in the ballpark I imagine...I could just (if needed) dig in and build retaining walls to create flat spot (brother is a mason luckily).

will post pics tomorrow and need to make some measurements.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
There's nothing like having your A$ stored at home under cover. There's less maintenance all around especially on the roof. We have a large garage and store the A$ in the back corner. It sits on jack stands all winter with the weight off the axle and a maintenance charger going all the time. I installed a plug on the wall next to it as we are in and out a lot. I know this is not doable everywhere but the more storage protection you can provide the more life you will get from your A$.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Hey Geek;
Go buy that AS you have been looking at The tow vehicle, hitch etc. and go camping. Camping is suppose to be relaxing but you are making too much work out of it. Don't worry about the other guy. This is NOT the same as school and Pharmacy (Pharm ?)
RELAX AND TAKE THE FAMILY GO CAMPING !!!
mike
Old 06-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
Did you ever buy one? That is the first step. I bought one, then figured out the rest and ended up eventually getting more capable tow vehicle, etc. Good luck. There are plenty of them sitting around unused!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Hey Geek;
Go buy that AS you have been looking at The tow vehicle, hitch etc. and go camping. Camping is suppose to be relaxing but you are making too much work out of it. Don't worry about the other guy. This is NOT the same as school and Pharmacy (Pharm ?)
RELAX AND TAKE THE FAMILY GO CAMPING !!!
mike

I hear ya, I hear ya...Im not far at this point from just relaxing and doing my thing...but I still obsess this until I pull the trigger.

Don't get me wrong though...I am not trying to talk myself out of this, I just enjoy being prepared with this stuff and when I make the decision, I felt it was after much effort and preparation...this (for me) makes the final event even more exciting.

Also, all the preparation I do not really find stressful...that is part of my "geek" nature I guess you can say

Pharm is indeed a reference to my being a pharmacist...I am a clinical pharmacist at a VA hospital - I manage veterans' diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, thyroid medication, and coumadin (blood thinner)...so I am not your most traditional form of pharmacist....kinda like a pharmacist/nurse practitioner if you will to put it in other terms...anyway...I digress...

Dont worry you all...believe me...I am pretty close to doing this thing. I have approval for the money - the wife and I are in agreement...I am in email communication with a dealer closeby and already talking turkey...

I go next week and test drive tow vehicles...probably gonna splurge there and buy a nice new shiny TV

Once we are camping, dont you worry, I will be chillin and relaxing with the fam having a good ol' time.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbguy View Post
Did you ever buy one? That is the first step. I bought one, then figured out the rest and ended up eventually getting more capable tow vehicle, etc. Good luck. There are plenty of them sitting around unused!

You probably are right...although, I simply am incapable of this...I will need to do my best to make what I hope is an informed decision...but ultimately I concede that with my own experience I will change my tune...but, I hold on to the premise that with this preparation I will make acceptable long lasting choices my first try.

This mantra has worked quite well in my life so far

Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
regarding the area you are going to store the trailer at around your home: see if you can find a local who does bobcat work. Strike up a conversation and have him look at it....often these guys are willing to do a job like this at a "bit of a discount", if you know what I mean, if you are giving them cash money, and if they can fit the work in maybe in the evening, on a weekend or otherwise between other jobs.
And like the other poster above showed, using the easy-to-use landscaping blocks, you can build out an area yourself fairly cheap, and it will look nice too.
For sure, know your local building codes/restrictions on it....you do not want to get this all done only to find out you are in violation.
I too keep my camper at home...have run a dedicated 30A outlet for it. I love having it close by for maint/tinkering/mods/loading for trips.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
gmw...thanks..yep...I will definately look into the regs before spending on such a project...need to call the city and figure it out.

My father in law is a heavy equipment operator...but he lives in NJ - perhaps if he comes down we can just rent one and do the job for me and only cost will be rental...not sure how pricey that is. Otherwise, that is an excellent idea to find someone to do it with a bobcat...although I hope that in the process of getting to the back hard on the right side of my front hard it will not tear the hell out of it...although I can always just reapair that grass in those spots tracked on if needed.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
All I know is where there's a will there's a way. We bought our Airstream while we were still renting an apartment in a highly dense area near the beach. We stored her in a very nice yard where I could do work with free power practically all day and night. When we finally bought a house, it still was in the suburban LA area, and despite having only one curb cut on our "large" 5400 sq ft lot, we modified a set of plastic curb ramps to have a better angle for backing the trailer over the curb, and built a new fence that comes close to the street and protects the trailer. I even designed the fence to have door panels that blend seamlessly with the natural breaks, and thus use it as a hidden vehicle gate. Attached are some photos of the initial results, for reference that is the front yard you are looking at, with the sidewalk visible in the bottom of the first picture. We are still obviously under renovation, pulling up more concrete, pouring new hardscape soon, and have a few wheelbarrows worth of succulents to plant.

In the end, it will be a guest house and accent to the landscaping when parked, and a ready-to-go camping trailer that I can hitch up and take out in 30-40 minutes.

So, all I wanted to point out is that the true Alumaholic has no issue finding a way to fit a trailer on even the smallest properties.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstreamfence01.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	188632   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstreamfence02.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	188633  

Click image for larger version

Name:	airstreamfence03.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	188634  

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok how about cropping a Google earth view of your property. We don't need the Lat and Lon just something to help visualize your property. If you can post that image we can work with that. I usually ctrl print screen and then paste into photoshop and then crop and export as a jpeg.

Perry
Old 06-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Pharm is indeed a reference to my being a pharmacist...I am a clinical pharmacist at a VA hospital
You should change your user name to PharmStream.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
google earth photo in a sec

Aage...that is nice! I will seriously consider I like it!

@worldinchaos - that is brilliant...what an excellent job..it looks wonderful. and the AS is a real looker!

I am going to go home today and do some hard measurements and call my tree guy to give estimate

Old 06-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
backyard pics

now..I could not figure out screen capture where it saved...but I just put these shots up from iphone on my photo.net site (PS - check my other photos out if you are a photo nerd, im an amateur/enthusiast).

backyard: Photo Images by Ellery Curtis Photography - photo.net

I will put up the google map shot as well when I figure out where it saved, but the slightly wooded area in question is too covered to see...of course there are more clear areas that have some of the grass in the back yard, but my wife would not appreciate that much really...

Old 06-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It saves it to the clip board. All you have to do is paste it into something and then crop it.

Nice photos, I really like the macros.

Looks like you live on a hill. Hard to tell where to put a barn for the AS without some sort of overview. Alot of the time, you can put in a second drive way and gain access from a different point other than your drive way. I would definately keep it in your yard or it will get vandalized and broken into in a storage area especially in Bham.

Perry