Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Do you store your trailer over the winter with the stabilizer jacks up or down???
UP 42 60.00%
DOWN 28 40.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2008, 02:30 PM   #41
Vince & Virginia

1969 21' Globetrotter
Riverside , California
Critters

I used to put them down after every trip, just to make it easier walking around when I am cleaning up after one trip and getting ready for another. (We camp year around . . . sorry you snow types . . . just a fact.)

Now I've been leaving them up. Ants have started living in the brick parking pad that we created in the back of our property and look for any opportunity to move UP. I routinely spray around my only two tires, the jack stand and the power cord. If I have the stabilizers down, that makes for four more opportunities for infestation. I always removed all the food from the trailer, so I don't know what they are looking for, but look, they do.

Virginia
Towster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #42
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
I leave the stabilizer jacks down with a plastic pad under, but I'll also get the tires off the cement by putting safety stands under the frame. Good for the axle and tires, but also makes it harder to steal, which might be a problem where I store it.

We may not have as much snow as those in the "High Country". (do not reference the sixties)
I do it this way in Bflo.
Stab's up, tires off, and bag the brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 WINTERIZE 006.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	397.4 KB
ID:	70262  
Old 10-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

We may not have as much snow as those in the "High Country". (do not reference the sixties)
I do it this way in Bflo.
Stab's up, tires off, and bag the brakes.
Great way to go - but I think that, at a minimum, I would still put the rear stabilizers down if you anticipate more than two feet of snow on the rig. As a matter of fact, I always thought Buffalo got buried in the winter? My only real problem with your procedure is that, if you decide to head south for a couple of months, remounting those wheels at -5 degrees can be a real pain!!! On the other hand, removing the wheels and putting the rig on solid jacks eliminates the problem of load transfer to the stabilizers if the tires lose air - or if they simply depress under load along with the torsion axles.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #44
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
As a matter of fact, I always thought Buffalo got buried in the winter?
I resemble that remark!!!!!Buffalo Research.com--The Truth About Snow in Buffalo
Old 05-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2007 Base Camp
San Jose , California
As a new Air Stream Base Camp owner; I love reading these articals and seeing all of your pictures. The humor is greatly appreciated too! Looking forward to more!
sc27sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #46
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Buffalo, N. Y.

I remember, as a kid, during the 40's in Buffalo, snow being piled up between the sidewalks and streets, over 10 feet high, and on the lawns sometimes, too.

Shoveling the sidewalks was easy, but throwing that snow on top of those huge piles, wasn't so easy.

I love shoveling the "sunshine." A much easier task, especially when you become a "senior citizen."

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
Setting on blocks with Stablizers down.

I use the stabilizers down method, but I'm up on blocks( cement block/2x6's) with the weight off the axles. I like to store this by cus it's quick maintenance in the spring, no flats on tires from setting too long either. And the STABILIZERS are just used for that, and not holding any weight.

Last year I learned to install a new motor on one the stabillizers and found out that these too require to be cleaned and checked occasionally They get all the water and road grit into the screws and in my case, into the motor. PS They come off real easy but only after you block up or tilt the trailer to reach them.

Good traveling.............
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote