View Poll Results: Do you store your trailer over the winter with the stabilizer jacks up or down???
UP 42 60.87%
DOWN 27 39.13%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #43
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

We may not have as much snow as those in the "High Country". (do not reference the sixties)
I do it this way in Bflo.
Stab's up, tires off, and bag the brakes.
Great way to go - but I think that, at a minimum, I would still put the rear stabilizers down if you anticipate more than two feet of snow on the rig. As a matter of fact, I always thought Buffalo got buried in the winter? My only real problem with your procedure is that, if you decide to head south for a couple of months, remounting those wheels at -5 degrees can be a real pain!!! On the other hand, removing the wheels and putting the rig on solid jacks eliminates the problem of load transfer to the stabilizers if the tires lose air - or if they simply depress under load along with the torsion axles.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #44

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
As a matter of fact, I always thought Buffalo got buried in the winter?
I resemble that remark!!!!!Buffalo Truth About Snow in Buffalo

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member
2007 Base Camp
San Jose , California
As a new Air Stream Base Camp owner; I love reading these articals and seeing all of your pictures. The humor is greatly appreciated too! Looking forward to more!
sc27sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #46
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Buffalo, N. Y.

I remember, as a kid, during the 40's in Buffalo, snow being piled up between the sidewalks and streets, over 10 feet high, and on the lawns sometimes, too.

Shoveling the sidewalks was easy, but throwing that snow on top of those huge piles, wasn't so easy.

I love shoveling the "sunshine." A much easier task, especially when you become a "senior citizen."

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member
2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
Setting on blocks with Stablizers down.

I use the stabilizers down method, but I'm up on blocks( cement block/2x6's) with the weight off the axles. I like to store this by cus it's quick maintenance in the spring, no flats on tires from setting too long either. And the STABILIZERS are just used for that, and not holding any weight.

Last year I learned to install a new motor on one the stabillizers and found out that these too require to be cleaned and checked occasionally They get all the water and road grit into the screws and in my case, into the motor. PS They come off real easy but only after you block up or tilt the trailer to reach them.

Good traveling.............

Fred Bartlett
30' S/O 01 Excella, maple floors in Galley, HA Hitch, Hyd. Disc Brakes, P3 Controller, SS Kit. Bk Splash, LED RL's, 2K/Tri Fuel Gen's & RV on TT
04 Chevy HD, CC, D/A, Curt Magnum V Rec., Full Amsoil Syn.,Dual Filters, ARE, MX Topper with lift Gate Door, Bed Rug, TPS & Bk.up Camera.
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote