Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Storage options

Storage options.

We bought our trailer where we found it on an RV storage lot. It’s gated and under cover. But it’s 30 miles away (an hour round trip), and costs $100 mo.

There is a storage yard 2 miles from home where we can park for $25 mo. But there’s no roof, and I doubt there is electric or water.

We can park free on our church property, but that’s a half hour round trip, and the corners are tight. It’s tricky getting in and requires a U-turn on soft ground in a field. There is water and electric on site, but no roof. We offered to build a garage at the church for mutual use, but HQ declined, citing liability issues.

Are there temporary shelters that are effective and/or cheap that we could use either at the church or at our nearby storage lot? The $100 storage fee we pay now would be easier to swallow if it weren’t for the long drive.

We live in the city. There is zero place for us to park at home.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I pay extra for a covered spot, would never leave the AS out in the weather. Mine is 1/2 hour away. We have local ordinances against keeping it at home which I would simply ignore, but again it wouldn't be covered. Go with the covered parking.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have no problem with no cover. Of course, my used trailer only cost a fraction of what a new one would. I also wouldn't pay to store a toy.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
$100 sounds cheap! We live in a rural area and all the storage places I saw around here charged $150 or more. That did include cover and most had electricity. Why would you want water hookups in storage? Sounds like a recipe for a flooded trailer!

Ended up making a place on our driveway and may eventually invest in a cover for it; but for now I want to keep the baby in constant sight!
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Ours is 22 miles away and uncovered. We've stored it there for a couple of years now, no problems. We have a 24 hour limit in our neighborhood and the first warning is free, then they start sending bills for the violation. It's part of the HOA agreement and they definitely enforce it.

I doubt that the church will allow you to put up anything, even temporary. There is a liability there. I wouldn't want to store mine on mud or grass, I'd want concrete or asphalt and I would put wood planks under the tires.

We were paying $54 a month with a discount, then they changed hands, removed the discount and raised the price to $62 a month. I don't like the travel time but we've not had any problems. I don't worry about the elements, I wax Dora twice a year and keep an eye on the sealants, replacing when necessary.

Does anyone stay at the storage lot and is it gated with restricted access? Our storage has gated key code access and the manager lives in an apartment above the rental office. If the lot doesn't then I wouldn't store mine there. Free church parking sounds good too but same concerns, I'd need gated access and at least a watchman or living on site.

$100 for covered parking is pretty good. If there's no parking restrictions at home you can bring it back and keep it there for a few days at a time. If not, just pay the $100 for now and look for something closer, maybe find a warehouse or something where they'd rent you some space.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I guess this is all relative :-)

Mine is stored at an RV/Boat place and is $150/mo uncovered. I believe covered is $250/mo. It's about 15 mi away and a round-trip in SoCA traffic can take well over an hour.

On the other hand, it's centrally-located and we aren't usually backtracking to pick it up and head to where we're going.

$100/mo for covered sounds really great!
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Assuming you are laying up your trailer for the winter and won't be visiting it too much aside from the occasional check, I think staying put is your best bet. Covered storage for $100 is a steal. Well worth the drive once a month to check on the trailer.

Of course in the spring it will be a different story. I doubt that the average storage lot would let you put up one of those temporary tent carport garage things. They would rather charge extra for covered storage.

I have always parked my trailer outside and been okay with that, but that is me.

I have always parked mine at home as well, but then again I have space in my yard, and I comply with zoning restrictions. Has to be so far from property lines, front of trailer behind the front edge of the house, not used as a dwelling, etc.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote