Old 03-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #29
Rivet Master
Elgin , Texas
My Airstream sat for several months on its previous set of tires on a covered concrete pad. When I removed them in order to install new wheels and tires, I noticed considerable cracking within the tread grooves. I only noticed this, however, in the areas of the tire that had direct contact with the concrete.

Since then, the trailer sits level on 6-ton jackstands, and the wheels stay in the garage out of the weather, and on a small strip of plywood - unless I'm actually towing it, of course...

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #30
Streamline Imperial
Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
With regard to the scorched backhoe, oily rags in even a small pile will spontaneously combust; I must have metal cans with self-closing lids in my auto shop for the rags, for this reason. I doubt the bag of concrete affected the process.

Regular concrete that has aged 30 days and has been hosed a few times isn't going to be very alkaline on the surface. Specialty concretes such as high early strength formulas, and shotcrete/gunnite, are much more alkaline when wet, but once they've aged, again, the surface isn't going to be strongly alkaline. The only way it could affect the trailer is if the surface is pulverized from wear and the dust blows up and clings to the trailer- not very likely. The trailer is more likely to be damaged from uncured concrete dust wafting out as bags are poured into the mixer. Rubber isn't very sensitive to moderately strong alkalai, or acid for that matter. However, old-fashioned rubber battery cases, unlike modern plastic ones, were known to allow self-discharging of the battery when left on concrete, hence the (obsolete) admonition to not store batteries there. Maybe that concept got blended into someone's mind, regarding parking the trailer there.

Asphalt was mentioned; you could make a case that hydrocarbons leaching from it could weaken the rubber at the contact point, especially with new asphalt. Some of these hydrocarbons might even condense on the trailer, leaving a kind of waxy or oily film. This would actually protect bare metal from corrosion, but would tend to attract dirt. It could possibly damage clearcoat over time, in a carport-type setting with low ventilation- a bit of a reach.

Some types of tires are more prone to cold "flat spots" than others- polyester versus nylon cords- regardless of the surface parked upon. If the tire is parked in the same spot for months, it could cause localized cracking of the rubber, and a less temporary flat-spot effect, again regardless of the type of surface.

It seems I love the mountains and deserts more than my friends do. I sure miss them!

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #31

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The thumping tire situations sounds a lot like the bias belted tire era. Those tires would develop flat spots from sitting long term. The flat spots would tend to "roll out" once you drove a few miles. I haven't experienced this since the advent of radial tires.

Tires sitting for a long period on concrete will leach compounds that do affect the long term viability of the tire. The proof is when you roll the trailer from the spot you will see the black marks left where the concrete was in long term contact with the tire.

I have inside storage and park on a concrete floor. I always place cardboard under each tire to keep the tire from directly contacting the concrete surface. When I pull off that cardboard there are no black marks on the cardboard or concrete.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:00 AM   #32
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
With regard to the scorched backhoe, oily rags in even a small pile will spontaneously combust; I must have metal cans with self-closing lids in my auto shop for the rags, for this reason.
It depends on the type of oil.
Petrolium lubricating oils do not self ignite.
The fluids that spontaniously combust are organic materials capable of combining with oxygen.
Three materials that are highly capable of self heating are Charcoal, fish meal and Linseed oiled rags. I have also seen various stains start fires due to improperly discarded rags - sometimes from "professional" painters who should know better. The metal container with a lid is a good idea, and sometimes required in commercial businesses.
Always follow the label directions for cleaning or disposing of used stain/oil rags.

AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote