Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #21
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
I have been told that concrete,over time, will harm the tires if left in direct contact. I have my tires on wood blocks.
Treated or un-treated wod? treated has all sorts of really bad chemicals in it. I would go with un-treated and replace it every couple of years.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Treated or un-treated wod? treated has all sorts of really bad chemicals in it. I would go with un-treated and replace it every couple of years.
Untreated wood.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Untreated wood.
Well, here in the south a piece of untreated wood even on a slab would be infested with termites in a short period of time. That's what happened to me. So then you start down the road of "treating" the piece of untreated wood to stop the bugs. I use untreated still but will switch to AL plate this summer.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #24
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Serioulsy? Silly string burns? That is the coolest thing I have ever heard. If you don't see me for a while, I will be in the burn unit.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop
so can I store my airstream on fritos without corroding the aluminum???

but seriously, mine sits above concrete and I'm not the least bit worried about it...in fact I poured the concrete because previously it was a yard with moisture problems and I think that would be much worse...mildew, pests, etc.. pass me the coffee mate wouldja...

you wanna see FLAAAMES, torch up some silly string! wait: DONT!!!

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #25
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Probably the worst thing you'll have to worry about (unless you're out every weekend), is not the concrete pad, but not moving the 'Stream often enough. Tires may need some slow driving for awhile to "round" out from sitting for so long. Can tend to "adopt" the flattened shape, especially if you don't keep the tire pressure constant.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
OK - so what about asphalt???

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 05:07 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Thats The Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon
Probably the worst thing you'll have to worry about (unless you're out every weekend), is not the concrete pad, but not moving the 'Stream often enough. Tires may need some slow driving for awhile to "round" out from sitting for so long. Can tend to "adopt" the flattened shape, especially if you don't keep the tire pressure constant.
The thumping started with our "63" Safari. After going thru winter

storage for the first year we had it, (real newbies then) on the pad. It took

probably 50mi at 30mph before the shaking stopped. The tires really took a

a beating that first winter and we had to change them out 2 seasons

later. We had just installed them when we purchased the trailer.

What we do now....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007%20WINTERIZE%20006.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	56740  
Old 03-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #28
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
The thumping started with our "63" Safari. After going thru winter

storage for the first year we had it, (real newbies then) on the pad. It took

probably 50mi at 30mph before the shaking stopped. The tires really took a

a beating that first winter and we had to change them out 2 seasons

later. We had just installed them when we purchased the trailer.

What we do now....
Man, I didnt have any problems until I started reading this forum. That makes a lot of sense. We are getting ready for the first trip out. Headed to Orcas Island with the Kayaks for 7 days. I moved the AS at least every month over the winter so I hope that is enough to protect the tires.

Thanks for the heads up.

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
My Airstream sat for several months on its previous set of tires on a covered concrete pad. When I removed them in order to install new wheels and tires, I noticed considerable cracking within the tread grooves. I only noticed this, however, in the areas of the tire that had direct contact with the concrete.

Since then, the trailer sits level on 6-ton jackstands, and the wheels stay in the garage out of the weather, and on a small strip of plywood - unless I'm actually towing it, of course...

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:41 PM   #30
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
With regard to the scorched backhoe, oily rags in even a small pile will spontaneously combust; I must have metal cans with self-closing lids in my auto shop for the rags, for this reason. I doubt the bag of concrete affected the process.

Regular concrete that has aged 30 days and has been hosed a few times isn't going to be very alkaline on the surface. Specialty concretes such as high early strength formulas, and shotcrete/gunnite, are much more alkaline when wet, but once they've aged, again, the surface isn't going to be strongly alkaline. The only way it could affect the trailer is if the surface is pulverized from wear and the dust blows up and clings to the trailer- not very likely. The trailer is more likely to be damaged from uncured concrete dust wafting out as bags are poured into the mixer. Rubber isn't very sensitive to moderately strong alkalai, or acid for that matter. However, old-fashioned rubber battery cases, unlike modern plastic ones, were known to allow self-discharging of the battery when left on concrete, hence the (obsolete) admonition to not store batteries there. Maybe that concept got blended into someone's mind, regarding parking the trailer there.

Asphalt was mentioned; you could make a case that hydrocarbons leaching from it could weaken the rubber at the contact point, especially with new asphalt. Some of these hydrocarbons might even condense on the trailer, leaving a kind of waxy or oily film. This would actually protect bare metal from corrosion, but would tend to attract dirt. It could possibly damage clearcoat over time, in a carport-type setting with low ventilation- a bit of a reach.

Some types of tires are more prone to cold "flat spots" than others- polyester versus nylon cords- regardless of the surface parked upon. If the tire is parked in the same spot for months, it could cause localized cracking of the rubber, and a less temporary flat-spot effect, again regardless of the type of surface.

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #31

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The thumping tire situations sounds a lot like the bias belted tire era. Those tires would develop flat spots from sitting long term. The flat spots would tend to "roll out" once you drove a few miles. I haven't experienced this since the advent of radial tires.

Tires sitting for a long period on concrete will leach compounds that do affect the long term viability of the tire. The proof is when you roll the trailer from the spot you will see the black marks left where the concrete was in long term contact with the tire.

I have inside storage and park on a concrete floor. I always place cardboard under each tire to keep the tire from directly contacting the concrete surface. When I pull off that cardboard there are no black marks on the cardboard or concrete.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:00 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
With regard to the scorched backhoe, oily rags in even a small pile will spontaneously combust; I must have metal cans with self-closing lids in my auto shop for the rags, for this reason.
It depends on the type of oil.
Petrolium lubricating oils do not self ignite.
The fluids that spontaniously combust are organic materials capable of combining with oxygen.
Three materials that are highly capable of self heating are Charcoal, fish meal and Linseed oiled rags. I have also seen various stains start fires due to improperly discarded rags - sometimes from "professional" painters who should know better. The metal container with a lid is a good idea, and sometimes required in commercial businesses.
Always follow the label directions for cleaning or disposing of used stain/oil rags.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote