Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Storage in the Phoenix Desert

Just got our AS, a 65' Overlander. Given that we tend to not see sub-freezing temps and that we will likely use the AS through the winter, what should we be concerned about regarding storage for a few weeks at a time in exterior storage. Are there tips for storage after a trip i.e. draining the waste, freshwater, etc. I don't believe that mine has a greywater, only black tank. Is it possible for the freshwater tank to create algae like what would happen in a pool or standing water?

Total newbie questions but just need to start with the basics, give me some time, I'll get it!
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
Hey Niche... congrats on your overlander. We have a vintage unit as well and love it! I would suggest a covered storage spot if you can find one. We keep ours in covered storage with power so that we may plug in and keep the battery charged. We do drain the Black tank prior to storing, but we keep about 5 gallons of water in it with new chemicals to ensure the seals dont dry out and it keeps the tank deodorized. We do drain our water tank and we have not had any mold issues or algae. We do add a cap full of chlorine bleach to the water tank once in a while. You should not have to worry about any winterizing here in the valley. Unless your 65 had a grey tank installed aftermarket, it did not come from the factory with one and you do not have to worry about that.

Keep the questions coming....that is the purpose of these forums. On a side note I see you are signed up for the Quarzite rally.... very cool... looking forward to meeting you!

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicheVintage View Post
Just got our AS, a 65' Overlander. Given that we tend to not see sub-freezing temps and that we will likely use the AS through the winter, what should we be concerned about regarding storage for a few weeks at a time in exterior storage. Are there tips for storage after a trip i.e. draining the waste, freshwater, etc. I don't believe that mine has a greywater, only black tank. Is it possible for the freshwater tank to create algae like what would happen in a pool or standing water?

Total newbie questions but just need to start with the basics, give me some time, I'll get it!
If your going to store the trailer for extended periods of time, it's wise to remove most of the weight from the axles, to protect the longevity of the rubber rods. That can be done with "jack stands."

Leaving a vent cover, slightly open, will help keeping the inside heat from getting to high.

Covering the tires will help too.

Lhall gave you other things to do as well.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Wow, one of the best times for camping and your storing it?
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote