Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
Storage has birds; poop or cover?

Hello all,

Just completed our first winterizing and dropped our new trailer off at an indoor storage just 10 minutes frome home. Great deal in a pole barn but I have concerns about both mice and birds. Both ARE present.

Mice: Going to place Decon AND mothballs on the exterior ground (it's dirt) and bounce sheets on the interior and then just cross my fingers.

Birds: While I understand it is not a good idea to cover/tarp your trailer outdoors due to the possible consequences of mixing wind and dirt, what about doing it indoors with no wind? If I don't cover it, it WILL have bird poop all over it in the spring (corrosive to finish?).

What would you do with your trailer in this situation? Cover it or just wash the poo in the spring?

Thanks a million for your help!

Oh, and I am still baffled how you all winterize your trailers in 30 minutes. Something to aspire to, I guess. Took me over three hours!

If I only had a dollar for every time I got distracted, I wish I had a puppy.
LucaBluPlus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Is there any possibility of suspending a lightweight fly tarp over your AS ????

Can't see how it took 3 hours. I'll be doing mine one day next week. I've never timed it but certainly much less than an hour for me. Do you do the compressor or anti-freeze route OR a combination of both ????

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
We used both a compressor and anti-freeze. Probably the reason it took so long was a lack of confidence. I was using a combination of the owner's manual, this forum and a member's checklist... Just needed to be sure as it was the first time. Ever.

In regards to the tarp, I would not be able to suspend it. The roof is too tall for me to access. What if I put something on the roof and under the tarps so that it can "breathe" better, say buckets or something. Or not?

The tarp will not be moving around as there is no wind. I could use sheets or possibly moving quilts if another material may be better.

Thoughts?

Old 11-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
If there is no wind or other chance that the tarp would move around and rub against the finish, I would think that it would be fine to use it. Just be careful when you put it on and take it off so you don't rub any grit under the tarp against the finish. The finish on modern Airstreams is clearcoat similar to what is used on a car. You can use that comparison to make your final decision of tarp vs. washing the bird droppings off in the spring.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Bird poop is very caustic to automotive finish. IF you find yourself not able to or don't want to cover it I suggest that a good application of a quality wax would be in order. It might provide enough protection until you are able to properly wash it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
If there is no wind or other chance that the tarp would move around and rub against the finish, I would think that it would be fine to use it. Just be careful when you put it on and take it off so you don't rub any grit under the tarp against the finish. The finish on modern Airstreams is clearcoat similar to what is used on a car. You can use that comparison to make your final decision of tarp vs. washing the bird droppings off in the spring.
I agree....it is the wind flapping and billowing the cover that damages the finish. I think it is fine indoors. I'd still use one of the covers that breathes rather than a plastic tarp though.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
What about gently laying sheets of styrofoam insulation, they are cheap and stiff enough to hang over edges , balance off ur tallest part, cut or place around over parts of roof.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I wonder if you couldn't attach something soft to the underside of the tarp. Some felt or batting? I sure would try to keep the bird poop off.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Hey Carrie,
We have the same, pole barn with dirt floor, mice and birds. Bird poop will etch the aluminum. I cover it with a soft cloth cover intended for autos. Keeps the dust and droppings off without scratches on the polished surface.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
Thanks everyone! You confirmed my suspicions and I will be covering it...with something other than plastic.

Thanks again!