Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
Storage

New to airstream and have a covered storage question. Right now the only slot I can get is a covered space without electricity, since it is spring time I don't think I 'll be needing power (would be nice)

What do you out there use to keep the moisture level down in the trailer, open window, vent, etc...

thanks in advance

Scott

waiting for a contractor to pour a slab and widen the gate for home storage
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
With covered storage, in the spring time in your area I would leave it closed up. In the summer time, I would open the roof vents some. There are going to be a lot of opinions on the subject, but really it all depends on your specific micro climate where your unit resides.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

SAumer Storage

An issue of importance to me, also. Storing Airstream in hot and humid Florida summer. Should one leave a vent slightly open?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
I too am in the Seattle climate and have to store in the open. I wish I could put in a slab but it is not my property. I leave the Airstream pretty much buttoned up in the winter with only the bathroom vent open. Spring and fall I'll leave the rear window open a couple of inches and summer I depend on the Fantastic Fans to vent heat, such that it is here. However, it does take a toll on the roof vents; I've had to replace two of the lift mechanisms.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
There are three factors to controlling condensation. The first is to keep all inside surfaces at least 5°F above the dew point. If the surfaces are warm enough, condensation cannot form no matter how humid the air.

Related to that, for the same amount of water vapor in the air, as temperature goes up, relative humidity goes down.

The flip side to this is, for the same temperature, the less water vapor in the air, the lower the humidity. So, investing in a good-quality dessicant, and placing it strategically around the inside of your trailer, will also help, by soaking up water vapor from the air.

The dessicant that I use is a mineral called zeolite. The company that sells it is Cycletrol, Inc. and the brand name is ZeoFresh. When starts losing effectiveness, put it out in direct sunlight for an afternoon to dry, and then put it back in the trailer. As a side benefit, it helps with odor control, too.

The third factor is air movement. Moving air tends to hold more moisture than still air, so less moisture settles on surfaces. This is where adequate venting comes in. In order to get air circulation, you've got to have at least two vents open, one to let air in, one to let air out. The farther apart the vents are, the better.

A powered vent will work even when there's no breeze, so that's the better option if you have a power source. If you'll be parking outdoors and can get some sun on your trailer, you might consider buying a solar-powered "mushroom" vent and using it to replace your bathroom vent. Nicro makes a good one for use on boats, that should work on trailers, too.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
good idea on the nicro vent
Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Scott,
We hang two closet-style DampRid bags in The Silver Otter. They work slowly and continuously. Keep the inside fresh smelling. We replace them as needed. Get them at Lowe's Home stores.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Long Term Storage

Thanks for the respones to my inquiry about summer storage. I should have made clear that I'm talking about storing my trailer for 9 untended months out in the Florida sun. I'm a snow bird. Last year we left it closed and the 6 tubs of dessicant were not able to prevent mold on the aluminum sun blocked window ledges, Wife doesn't like idea of slightly open vents, fearing dirt. I'm thinking of putting in more tubs this year.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBuckey View Post
Thanks for the respones to my inquiry about summer storage. I should have made clear that I'm talking about storing my trailer for 9 untended months out in the Florida sun. I'm a snow bird. Last year we left it closed and the 6 tubs of dessicant were not able to prevent mold on the aluminum sun blocked window ledges, Wife doesn't like idea of slightly open vents, fearing dirt. I'm thinking of putting in more tubs this year.
Dessicant alone won't do the trick. Between drying the air, heating the air, and moving the air, moving the air will have the most positive effect on controlling the growth of mold and mildew. "Stale" air is your enemy. But if venting isn't an option for whatever reason, there are still steps you can take…

Open every drawer. Open every cabinet. Tip up the mattresses so they're not resting flat on a solid surface, to get air circulating under them. Or better, remove the mattresses and seat cushions entirely.

Mold hates vinegar. Wipe with vinegar all surfaces likely to grow mold before you put your trailer to bed for nine months. Leave glass casserole dishes full of vinegar in each room so that the vinegar will evaporate into the air as the inside temperature rises. The casserole dishes will likely be empty when you return, except for a residue, but they'll clean well enough in the dishwasher.

Also, if there are places where mold is likely, such as the window ledges you mention, cover those surfaces with tape (after wiping with vinegar and letting it dry). Then when you come back, you can pull off the tape, mold and all. I recommend masking tape because it pulls off easier without leaving a residue than other types of tape, and any remaining adhesive residue comes off with alcohol (or vinegar).
Old 03-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonBuckey View Post
Thanks for the respones to my inquiry about summer storage. I should have made clear that I'm talking about storing my trailer for 9 untended months out in the Florida sun.
Depends where you store your trailer. Lived in Florida for 22 years and one major concern would be exposure to sun and hurricanes as well as salt air. You might want to look for an enclosed garage somewhere that will protect your trailer from the elements and you can leave the vents open and have electric for a battery minder. If not that, at least a covered storage space and you can crack the vents for air and not worry about rain. Dirt is easier to clean than mold.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
I'm storing it up in the Pacific NW - more concerned about slime and mildew than hurricaine, used to be a sailboat owner so I'm used to it up here
Old 03-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
I live in the Pacific NW very near salt water. Our AS is under a tin roof with open sides. I have two small fans (muffin fans?), 110 volt, about 4"x4", each mounted on a small piece of plywood. Both fans together draw about 50 amps, the same as a small light bulb. I bought these on Amazon. In the winter I leave these run and open all cabinets and drawers and pull cushions away from the walls. When I had a boat I did the same procedure.
Florida is undoubtedly hotter and more humid.
phil
Scaler113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaler113 View Post
I live in the Pacific NW very near salt water. Our AS is under a tin roof with open sides. I have two small fans (muffin fans?), 110 volt, about 4"x4", each mounted on a small piece of plywood. Both fans together draw about 50 amps, the same as a small light bulb. I bought these on Amazon. In the winter I leave these run and open all cabinets and drawers and pull cushions away from the walls. When I had a boat I did the same procedure.
Florida is undoubtedly hotter and more humid.
phil

Phil, I think you meant both fans draw about 50 watts?

Good idea though.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
As you'll see, I went whole hog and had a shed custom built. I elected to not have cedar siding down either side and it is open on both ends. If NC had a lot of snow, I might have done this differently, but I think keeping the sun and rain off -- but open to the air was a good solution for me. I was able to run a 30AMP outlet, water, and sewage to it...so I can use my Intl as a guesthouse. And I have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	181018  
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member