Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
asheville , North Carolina
shower winterizing

I am winterizing my airstream bambi and there is not anti freeze coming out of the shower? There is anti freeze coming thru all the other faucets including the toilet. I took the shower fixture off all the wall mount and there is some liquid dripping out of it but not fully..... has anyone else had this problem? The shower did work this summer. I am wondering if there is debris in there and if so how do I find it to remove it? I have the valve to the hot water heater bypassed too. Help! There is a freak snow coming in tonight!
Walter19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter19 View Post
I am winterizing my airstream bambi and there is not anti freeze coming out of the shower? There is anti freeze coming thru all the other faucets including the toilet. I took the shower fixture off all the wall mount and there is some liquid dripping out of it but not fully..... has anyone else had this problem? The shower did work this summer. I am wondering if there is debris in there and if so how do I find it to remove it? I have the valve to the hot water heater bypassed too. Help! There is a freak snow coming in tonight!
Try to blow out your shower line with a "gentle" blast of air from your compressor (40 to 50 psi ought to do it.) Attach the compressor to your city fresh water intake, load it up to the desired psi and then open up the shower valve and hopefully it will clear. This process will also most likely blow any water out of the lines so you won't need to do anything with the antifreeze assuming you've already run it through the other valves and the pump.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
asheville , North Carolina
Well that may be a problem.... I don't own an air compressor.... I think I got enough antifreeze thru those lines for now. I had it drip until it was pink. I will try and find an air compressor and use your suggestion once this storm has passed. Thank you!
Walter19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter19 View Post
Well that may be a problem.... I don't own an air compressor.... I think I got enough antifreeze thru those lines for now. I had it drip until it was pink. I will try and find an air compressor and use your suggestion once this storm has passed. Thank you!
Wonderful, another Airstream-related toy you can buy!

Since any below freezing temperatures are likely to be short lived in your area this time of the year, you might also consider leaving your furnace on and set the stat at 55 degrees or so. The trivial amount of propane you will use overnight is good insurance!

Best of luck.
Bob
Old 10-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Bob...it depends on the winter...I live in Alabama...we kept having spells of cold in the teens and 20's and 30's much of jan-march this year and for a while I kept mine just as such thermostat set on 50....and I think I had used about 1-2 30lb tanks every 2-3 weeks for a spell there when it was very cold often...I finally got annoyed and pumped in antifreeze when I had no further camping plans (sometime after canopener rally or so)....

I want a compressor too...my santa wish list continues to build a bit...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Bob...it depends on the winter...I live in Alabama...we kept having spells of cold in the teens and 20's and 30's much of jan-march this year and for a while I kept mine just as such thermostat set on 50....and I think I had used about 1-2 30lb tanks every 2-3 weeks for a spell there when it was very cold often...I finally got annoyed and pumped in antifreeze when I had no further camping plans (sometime after canopener rally or so)....

I want a compressor too...my santa wish list continues to build a bit...
Very true, Ellery. I was only referring to the likelihood that the potential for freezing in his area at this time of the year would not last long to give him peace of mind about tonight and to give him plenty of time to get to Sears or wherever to get his air compressor so he could do a proper job of winterizing in the future. There are very few parts of the US where proper winterizing is not needed!!! And I'm headed to one of those shortly!
Old 10-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
oh you just shut up!!!!

Old 10-31-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
oh you just shut up!!!!
Hah! Come the middle of February or so, many of my Facebook friends feel the same way!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1491765_10151863029493663_622539109_n.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	225440  
Old 10-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
lol, its fun to rub it in....at least I can camp 4 seasons down where I am at if I want to...just once we hit January, its less and less desirable really and we just wait then till March...I know one day in 2,000 years when I retire, we will follow the weather that we want when we want it! Enjoy

Old 10-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
lol, its fun to rub it in....at least I can camp 4 seasons down where I am at if I want to...just once we hit January, its less and less desirable really and we just wait then till March...I know one day in 2,000 years when I retire, we will follow the weather that we want when we want it! Enjoy
There are definitely pro's and con's to living in all parts of this great country! That's why it's nice to have a lifestyle that affords some flexibility, even if you are tied to a corporate vacation schedule!

Meanwhile, I hope Walter in NC is going to leave his furnace on tonight!