Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
Smile Short Term Storage- What do I need to do??

Hello, just returned from picking up my new AS 2017 International Serenity. Really enjoyed the 2 week trip home and managed not without some difficulty to managed to back up and park in my storage space. However, I could not find any info about how to park for short term storage, i.e. not winterizing, just a few weeks here and a few weeks there. My questions are: 1) Do I leave open the refrigerator doors for this time?? 2) Do I leave unit all closed up or open some vents for air?? 3) Black, Grey and Fresh water tanks...do I leave some water in them? Any advice or checklist would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your advice/help! John
JonHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We shut our refrigerator off and prop doors open in between uses. We have MaxxAir roof vents and leave them open in the summer when we're storing (they're covered vents so no possibility of rain getting in). We empty all tanks. I also leave the toilet about half full of water so that it won't evaporate dry. Gotta remember to drain it down some before moving the trailer, otherwise you'll be washing the floor. Or you could cover the toilet with Saran wrap to keep the water from evaporating (we do that in the winter with the toilet full of antifreeze). Hope this helps.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I leave the fridge doors open, put a little more water in the toilet than a normal flush and leave no vents open. Consider turning battery switch to "store.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
All of the above....and be sure to read your owners manual, which should have the most thorough information on this subject.

Maggie
Old 07-22-2017, 04:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Do whatever your trailer needs done to save the batteries. If you have power, I leave a floor fan on 24 hours, keeps tnings fresh, eliminates mildew, etc. seems like there is some variance between the age of the trailer and the proper procedure for battery maintenance. Someone else oh here can probably help you with that.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
On the subject of venting, I struggled with mildew until I bought a MaxxAir vent cover so that I could leave one of the Fantastic Fan vents open. Now I leave that open and the shower vent open. I leave the bathroom door open as well, for full air circulation. No more mildew. I do leave the refrigerator and freezer doors cracked open. I also put covers on the tires, just the cheap Walmart version and I have a cover for the tongue jack.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:47 PM   #7
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Some things depend on climate as well. Here in the desert when you go looking at new trailers they all have a bucket of water sitting inside.
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:11 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHops View Post
However, I could not find any info about how to park for short term storage, i.e. not winterizing, just a few weeks here and a few weeks there. My questions are: 1) Do I leave open the refrigerator doors for this time?? 2) Do I leave unit all closed up or open some vents for air?? 3) Black, Grey and Fresh water tanks...do I leave some water in them? Any advice or checklist would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your advice/help! John
If you have 120vAC electrical power available to the trailer, you can leave it plugged in to keep the house battery charged up, as well as keeping vents open and fans running to keep the air fresh inside. With no 120vAC service, put the house batteries into "store" mode to save power.

Even in a hot and wet climate like the Gulf Coast where I live, leaving vents open for air circulation is usually better than closing the unit up completely— provided that what you leave open will not let in rainfall or flying insects. Adding Damp-Rid® or even a shallow pan of clumping kitty litter to absorb moisture will help control mold and mildew (a pan of clumping kitty litter positioned under a roof vent will help to contain any rain that does find its way in). The climate would have to be very dry for you to need to add humidity to the air as ITSNO60 does.

I don't leave my fridge open (my Airstream is an Interstate that gets driven for day trips even when not used for camping, and an open fridge door is a hazard to passengers), but I do put Damp-Rid inside the fridge before I close it up between uses.

I would leave some clean water in all of your tanks, just to keep rubber seals moist.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:27 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Cincinnati , Ohio
Short Term Storage

Thank you everyone for you advice and replies to my thread. I have learned some valuable info. John
JonHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If you're going to leave it for awhile, you might want to bug spray it as a defensive measure against ants, roaches, spiders, etc. Doesnt hurt, just get the household spray.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote