Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2008, 07:28 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
This is Miss Kittys HOME

We were more fortunate maybe than most cause we bought the property this way.This was must and before we had ever thought of an Airstream. This pole barn is 30 x 40 ft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0037.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	64203  
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanC View Post
After I repolish/finish polishing, what's the best protective sealant to use? In the meantime, should I wax it or something?
Thank you!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f441...nks-16475.html

This is a thread you might want to explore. There are several others that deal with what kind of wax or treatment to use. Try the search feature.
Good luck.

em.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
AS Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb View Post
We're having no luck finding local covered storage for our impending arrival! So now we're contemplating building something on our property. Does any one have some good plans or ideas or a suggestion of where we could fine some? I dread giving up "open space" but with enough hedges etc. I'll do my best to camouflage what I can. Better than leaving it in an outdoor lot, and probably cheaper in the long run...
Thanks for any input.
Janet
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Janet,
if you google it under "Steal Buildings" there are some companies here in the South East that engineer steel buildings and ship them to you and then you hire a company to set them up. They do sizes from 2 car garage up to full size buildings, which would give you an added income because you could rent the extra space to others who wish to do the same thing. Another option for you is to find someone who builds barns and have a barn built on your site.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike T View Post
It's a real benefit to live where building codes aren't as restrictive.
Meaning....?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
ScottW
I meant to make a comment about your Stream-Port .Nice job, I got so busy trying to down size the pic of our barn the I completely forgot to comment on yours. Can we just chalk it up to age?
Anyway GOOD JOB and the design is heavy enough it should last 30 or 40 yrs. at least.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:26 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Chase , BC
Thanks!

Should have known it would be here somewhere. Great thread. It's just that I'm not ready to repolish, but want to protect from the elements with something that will be relatively easy to remove once I do get to the polishing.
Best,
Susan
SusanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Shelter II progress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by empresley View Post
Argosy's new home is under way.
16 x 30 with scissor trusses & metal roof.
Updates as weekends progress.
Found some help and got the trusses and roofing installed in about 10 hrs.
Permanent bracing and trim is next.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Farm~ArgShelter~RoofInstalled~080808.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	596.1 KB
ID:	65300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Farm~ArgShelter~RoofInstalled02.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	573.0 KB
ID:	65301  

Old 08-08-2008, 09:36 AM   #48
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Airstream Shop

We've have been planning on building a shop for years. In fact, we bought a new place with just under an acre here in town where we could build one in the next five years or so. Well, then I got laid off and plans have needed to move back some. I still am excited about getting this going so drew up elevation drawings along with a floorplan and 3/4 view drawing. There has been talk of us needing to provide a place for Julie's mom as she might need a place. She is happy to live here and even live in a trailer along as she has all the comforts of home, plus I'd like to provide her with an outside covered area for enjoying the mornings when our weather permits.

Here's the 3/4 view drawing and if MIL chooses to live elsewhere, we could not build the roofed over area and just build the enclosed portion.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shop.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	65303   Click image for larger version

Name:	ShopFront.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	65304  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:53 AM   #49
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Please as soon as possible get some diagonal bracing into that structure. Also perhaps some strapping from the trusses down to the sill 2x8's. Right now you are counting on the depth of the posts and the rigidity of your truss/roof to keep the structure from "swaying". Not enough for sure.

For me, at the minimum you need a bottom chord across the truss from side to side with diagonal bracing across those chords. Then as a minimum bracing from each post up to your 2x8's. Yes, you have a beginning that is gonna be great; but please get those trusses strapped down and some diagonals on.

A good cross wind will get that building leaning and then guess what will happen.......

Right now the first up draft wind is gonna lift that whole roof up and then drop it down if you are lucky away from the structure; but more than likely straight down onto what is inside.....your baby............
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Also, I'd incorporate the side panels that allow in natural light.up high on the sides rather than the roof skylites....those will leak over time. A guy down the road here put this in about a foot high all around the top of his building continous (like under the gutters) Looks great but I don't know what the call them. Jim
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
I like the idea of a permanent campsite...that would make for easy get-aways! Great idea, Dave.

Re your neighbor...poor guy. I can empmathize with the poor schmuck...the first time we brought the Bambi home I entertained the neighborhood for a good 45 minutes getting it into our driveway...thank gawd it was mid-afternoon and the lots of neighbors were at work...so I wasn't totally humilitated. But was totally frustrated. One woman down the block was literally out in the middle of the street taking it all in. You get the picture. That was 8 months ago. I am happy to say that now I can back the Bambi into its port in a matter of minutes. At least it wasn't a big ol' 5th wheel thing. I know they were watching because one neighbor recently came out and congratualted me on my newly acquired backing-up skills!

TB
I was soooo embarrassed the second time I tried to back my trailer into my driveway....we're on a hill and I couldn't get the trailer into the driveway backing up the hill....
I decided to turn the trailer around and back down the hill into the driveway....
I went into the culdesac across the street to turn the AS around.
I got stuck...could not maneuver the darn trailer because there were too many cars parked.
I had a BIG audience watching me. Everyone started yelling...turn right...turn left....
Eventually everyone had to move their cars out of the culdesac...and those that weren't already out watching were called so that they could move their cars also.
Now that was embarrassing!
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDarrow View Post
Right now the first up draft wind is gonna lift that whole roof up and then drop it down if you are lucky away from the structure; but more than likely straight down onto what is inside.....your baby............
Not to worry. Had to come home for business. Only 48 hrs. to gamble on no severe wind.

Guess I should have expanded on “permanent bracing” to read; metal hurricane straps, 4x4 angle braces connecting posts & beams, interior wind braces, etc. Our local building inspector will appreciate someone helping him cover the bases.

On the Green side; we will be adding gutters to collect rain water for the benefit of future shrubbery.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #53
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi, i saw your post on shelters and thought to share what i put up. Its made by a company called Shelter Logic and I bought it through garagedepot.com
Its 14ft high by 12ft wide by 32 ft long. I got if for my class c Winnebago this year and now it houses the airstream. I live in a very windy area and was concerned about it but now that I have seen it in action i feel much more secure about it. Here are some pictures of it. I installed it myself (not for the faint of heart) and it took me about one week.. they say 8 hours... The cost was 1800 dollars not including the 250 for shipping from the east coast to Cal.
Here are some pictures.
http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...?i=19961&c=509

http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...?i=19962&c=509

The bigger problem is how to get it in there with my crew cab! It took me and a neighbor nearly a half hour as it was placed for the class c and not a pull trailer. I told my wife i need an airport tug! Hmm. not a bad idea actually. She didnt even crack a smile!

Cheers Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #54
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Here's a pic of our little sugar shack. Not fancy but keeps the rig out of the weather. This picture was taken just after we bought the Limited last year, and just before we sold the Safari.

Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0001.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	65741  
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #55
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Mines bigger, we rent...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00577.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	65743  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Hi, i saw your post on shelters and thought to share what i put up. Its made by a company called Shelter Logic and I bought it through garagedepot.com
Vinnie,

Is this the site you reference?
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #57
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Yes steve.. It is. Ask to speak to Greg. He does the internet specials. He was very helpful and willing to work with me on price. In fact when i was browsing around i found a closeout special and thats how i ended up saving a thousand dollars. I suggest getting the vents and the roll up door kit. It will come with these very cool anchors that you drive down into the dirt about 2 feet if possible and then when tugging on the cable that was driven down with the anchor it turns sideways and locks into place. i have 22 of these holding it in place from wind exposure. I selected "tan" only because i live in a pretty populated area and have an HOA to deal with.. didnt want to go green or blue on them.

Good luck! I have a ton of pictures if your intersted of the final project. It would have helped me a ton when i was trying to use the directions!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:38 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
For those that wants something more able to take up and down or a temp shelter, Go to a trucking company that has flat bed trailers and get the address for the company that made thier tarps or you can google Tarps flat bed semi, you can order tarps that are up to 53 feet in length and any width, then take 1 3/4 poles and make a frame place the tarp over the frame so it goes from ground over the top to ground and you have a covered storage. Because these tarps are made for trucking purposes they are made for all weather conditions unlike the store bought tarps that tear with a little wind or cold.
Another suggestion is if you have one of those framed tarps that you buy in the store, take a sprayer and spray it with antifreeze, believe it or not it keeps or reduces the ability of the tarp to freeze. This is what we do in winter when we have to tarp loads.
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by empresley View Post

Found some help and got the trusses and roofing installed in about 10 hrs.
Permanent bracing and trim is next.
How much in material costs for something like this?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote