Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2005, 01:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Setting up hookups at home

I'm developing the land where our new house will be built, and trying to plan ahead for Airstream parking, including courtesy parking.

I want to have room for two Airstreams to park with water, phone, and 30 amp electric connections. (The phone is because I plan to use an Airstream as my temporary office while the house is under construction.)

Since these will be transient parking spots (my Caravel will live under cover on another part of the site), I'm thinking about using the Grasspave2 system for the parking pads (see www.grasspave.com). That way my small yard won't be all asphalt.

Water hookup is pretty straightforward, but I am wondering what special considerations need to be made for the electrical and phone. Most campgrounds seem to just have an outdoor breaker box with 30- and 15-amp outlets. But I saw a box at Rock Crusher Canyon RV Park (Crystal River FL) which combined everything in one neat package, along with a nice low-intensity fluorecent light. Does anyone know where I can find those?

Otherwise, recommendations on setting up the pole and various outlets would be appreciated. I'm not experienced with AC power and would probably hire an electrician to do the work, but I'd like to know what I'm asking for, in advance.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
What you may have seen was a marina pedestal. Thet are very expensive. Here is one brand, there are probably cheaper ones out there.

http://www.boatliftwarehouse.com/pro...r_pedestal.asp

Thanks for the Grasspave link. I had no idea that was available.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:19 PM   #3
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Here ya go ...

I walked outside and checked the pedestal where we are staying ... it's just as you described.

Milbank Manufacturing

Make sure my 34' will fit on the new pad, OK?

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Try this

Is this what your looking for?

http://www.midwestelectric.com/products/marina.htm
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Consider a dump site?

I am doing the same thing Rich. I have 200 Amp service in my barn, and as I level off the back site of the old goat pasture, I am putting in 30A service too. I have water already there. I was thinking about sinking a 500 gallon tank too, one of those new plastic ones. When it gets full, I'd have it pumped. Did you consider one? Thanks for that Grasspave site.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Since you are running new wire, you may want to consider a 50 amp service. You never know what the future may bring.
joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Plumbing 101

Course - Plumbing 101

Day - One

Rule #1

Sh*t flows DOWNHILL

You have to PUMP IT uphill.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Wow! Thanks for all the replies.

Rob and joatmon, I wanted to put in sewer hookups too. It would be easy -- the septic tank is about 15 feet away. But my town zoning prohibits the dumping of "camper" waste on-site, even with a septic system. It's a regulation designed to keep people from living in their RVs, I guess.

I'll have to check out the links and do some shopping. Haven't considered 50-amp but hey, why not? And maybe even cable TV, although I don't want to encourage people to stay TOO long!

I should warn you all that Grasspave will not be cheap. But I figure for a relatively small area it should be reasonably affordable. I'll be checking with our local supplier in the next few weeks. The plan is to have the two parking spots built in June.

Porky, I think we can squeeze your 34 footer in there! Let me know when you get to the northeast.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Can fit a 34'er

Cool, we'll bring up the 34 footer too! If I can afford the gas! I see in their video its about the same up front cost as pavement...I will look into this for the RV site, but will probably stick with plain jane gravel for my 350' driveway. Really cool product though!

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:21 PM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
Rob and joatmon, I wanted to put in sewer hookups too. It would be easy -- the septic tank is about 15 feet away. But my town zoning prohibits the dumping of "camper" waste on-site, even with a septic system. It's a regulation designed to keep people from living in their RVs, I guess.
Zoning? they have "zoning" in VT??

I would consider an accessible "cleanout" ...for maintenance purposes, of course. and the sewer solution. and its not "waste dumping". its water reclamation.

If I may so boldly hi-jack this thread w/ more questions, as I am considering a similar project, myself.....

I'm thinking of paving my driveway (currently gravel, and in rough shape) this spring, and I'd like to also put in a hookup next to my camper's summer parking space. no rush, but I figure I oughtta run the wires/pipes before they pave anything. the spot is about 60 feet from the house foundation. Wondering what to run for a water line. it should be "winterize-able". I'm thinking I could probably use the same stuff they use for lawn irrigation systems, including an access box at the base of a 4x4 post. run a wire and a pipe into that box...conduit up the post to a weather proof electrical box. (they have a couple listed in the CW catalog).

not sure about what kind of pipe to use for this, though. and the joints and so-forth, considering the need for a blow-out plug, or something to drain it for the winter.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
As a temporary fix, you might try the product called "SEWER SOLUTIONS". It's about $110 but it can pump uphill about 36" vertically. You could use it to dump into the sewer cleanout. By doing this as needed then storing when not in use, you could get by.

On Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V
Old 05-09-2005, 02:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
I just talked to my local distributor. The GrassPave2 stuff is basically $2.67/sf. For two spaces, I will use one roll measuring 8.25 x65.6 ft, and then cut it down and snap together to form two 10x27 pads. The cost will be $1436 plus tax and sand delivery.

I think it is worth it for the aesthetic improvement on this particular lot. Otherwise I'd end up with asphalt for a front lawn, which would not be great IMHO. (But if I had a farm with lots of space like Rob's I probably would just pave a strip somewhere, or put down gravel.)

Old 05-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
FYI, a poured concrete slab runs around $3.00 per square foot, in both Florida and Ohio. Stamped concrete, which is really nice runs around $7.00 per s.f.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by joatmon
Since you are running new wire, you may want to consider a 50 amp service. You never know what the future may bring.
That's a good idea. If you put in 50a, then you can also split it into the two 30a circuits for the future guest spots.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #15

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Make your own...

Quote:
Most campgrounds seem to just have an outdoor breaker box with 30- and 15-amp outlets. But I saw a box at Rock Crusher Canyon RV Park (Crystal River FL) which combined everything in one neat package, along with a nice low-intensity fluorecent light. Does anyone know where I can find those?

Otherwise, recommendations on setting up the pole and various outlets would be appreciated. I'm not experienced with AC power and would probably hire an electrician to do the work, but I'd like to know what I'm asking for, in advance.
You could make your own post and simply have your electrician install a nice light and this connection box on it for you... You could even add cable, data, and telephone connections and call it "5-star hookups"

-T
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Holy cow! $446 list price? Seems to be very expensive to provide free parking for Rob and Porky!

The others mentioned didn't quote prices on their website or product info sheets, so for all I know they are even more. I guess I wasn't prepared for the sticker shock.

Old 05-09-2005, 06:53 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Smile Zoning

Rich - Know what you are going through with zoning. It's a nightmare here too. We also had thought about putting in an extra septic system or "water reclamation" system, near the barn where we keep Moby. That way we would be able to clean him up after each use and trailer guests could hook up. We already have the electric hooked up. Our delightful county will not allow another septic system installed on our property (we already have one for the house). I think they are afraid that we might be starting a business; after all, 42 acres can house quite a few Airstreams.

Good luck on your house building....bet you have many zoning restrictions for that too.

P.S. Remember our yard is available for overnights to and from International.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #18

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
expensive...

Quote:
Holy cow! $446 list price? Seems to be very expensive to provide free parking for Rob and Porky!

The others mentioned didn't quote prices on their website or product info sheets, so for all I know they are even more. I guess I wasn't prepared for the sticker shock.
Yeah, I thought it was pricy too. I wonder how they justify it. It must do more than I am thinking... Sheet metel and Breakers weren't that expensive last time I checked.

Any electricians have any insight on that?
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:06 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
you might want to also consider putting the lines in a plastic ( 4") sewer pipe, along with a small rope, in case you would ever need to replace or add lines, etc. I don't have a fondness for shovels or digging.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:13 PM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
New Math?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
If you put in 50a, then you can also split it into the two 30a circuits for the future guest spots.
Wouldn't two 30A circuits be 60 amps?