Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2005, 10:57 AM   #1
2005 28 ft. SAFARI

2005 28' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
SECURITY in STORAGE?????

Hello Friends

We live in NYC and our 28 ft. Safari is stored in Lakewood NJ. Are there steps beyond the usual lock all doors that we can take to secure the AS?

The wide open and unlocked Hensley is of some concern.

Your ideas are always important to us. Thank you.

Sharon & Winston
Silvercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I recently put my 75 Trade Wind into a storage area and was concerned about security. You can only do what you can do. Lock the doors and windows. you could get an alarm system, but that will drain the battery down. I look at the RV storage company to provide a certain level of security. The place I have my TT provides the following:
Coded gate access
Owers live on site
Security cameras
Razor wire on 6 foot block walls
Dogs

These things make me feel that my trailer is very safe. Also, my trailer is surounded by much higher valued motorhomes that would provide the bad guys with better stuff to steal.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Depending on just how concerned you are about security, and your judgment of the potential for loss (people do steal entire Airstream trailers periodically around the country, and there are probably even more break-ins and vandalism) I'd think that would determine how much you might be willing (assuming you are able) to spend on available security devices.

At, or near, the top of the list cost-wise and probably protection-wise, would be something like Lojack - one of those electronically installed devices that alerts when your vehicle is moved, then tracks its location.

Next would be a wheel boot, to fit around the entire wheel assembly, that would impede someone hitching it up and driving off with it.

Depending on your access to electricity (or perhaps a battery source) you could also consider installing an alarm system, and adequate outside lighting can also be a deterent.

There are also various types of coupler locks that many people use - a Blaylock lock has been previously recommended here on the forum - or you could also get a locking pin or chain to go through the hole in the trailer's coupler that is used for the safety pin.

You can also use all of the above, or any combination.

You might also consider talking to your insurance agent for any recommendations they might have as well as the potential to reduce your insurance cost as a result of installing any security devices.

John
Old 11-24-2005, 05:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
if you are concerned about your $2800 Hensley, I would take it off and store it inside the unit. If they are dedicated full time theives they will get around any method you get to secure the unit. You can deter the ametuers by installing delaying methods such as additional lock in door and on wheels and also hitch ball socket. If you do not have a good feeling about the area you are proposing to store the unit, find a better location. The lost hours of sleep worring about it are not worth the extra couple of bucks per month for a better place. The best thing to do (if you can afford the time) is not to store it at all and just hitch it up and tour the south for the next five months.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
2005 28 ft. SAFARI

2005 28' Safari
Brooklyn , New York
Hello U Guys
Your suggestions are always taken seriously and we are now working on them. The Hensley folk have no locking device in their inventory but they suggest using a chain and padlock combo.

We want to do all we can to increase the odds of finding our AS in one piece on our next visit. Thank you all.

Sharon & Winston
Silvercamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2005 28' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Sharon & Winston -

here are a few threads on security, wheel boots, etc. that might be helpful.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ity-14043.html

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ity-13936.html

http://www.airforums.com/forum...rity-4841.html

Best bet is to try to find a storage facility that let's you garage or store your A/S indoors. A little more $, but harder for thieves to access let alone cruise around and stake out your trailer before stealing it. Also, vandalism will be less if an issue at garaged facility.

Good luck! (p.s. I've found one storage option - give it back to my dealer for warranty work! They are so backed up, it will be there one month with free storage at their insured lot!)
Titus Moto Lite, Nerve Cruiser
Mike, Angela, the kiddies & 10 yr old puppy, Kenzie, our Golden Retriever and best friend ever
sarmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 05:09 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercamper
Hello U Guys
Your suggestions are always taken seriously and we are now working on them. The Hensley folk have no locking device in their inventory but they suggest using a chain and padlock combo.

Sharon & Winston
Just an FYI, if you use the chain and padlock, a thief with bolt cutters can have the chain off in about 10 seconds...I know this from experience.