Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 33' Land Yacht
Wisconsin Dells , Wisconsin
Question Rodent proofing RV

I have a '92 AS, LY, with several storage compartments, and will soon be winterizing it and wonder what seasoned RV'ers are doing for preventive measures re mice??
My daughter found info on-line re using Peppermint oil soaked in cotton balls and placing them where mice may want to gather. Any truth to this, or any better options.....moth balls disagree with my better half!
John
New Member, Air#45995
WBCCI
1SGT, US Army
Retired
Harleyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
mice cont.

What I have used has been placing Bounce (used in the dryer) to "subdue" the little creatures. I had not heard about peppermint which may work also. jjustice
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My solution is to park in the middle of a large paved parking lot. Never park on grass or within rodent walking distance from their habitat. Never leave anything edible in the RV. Clean the RV. No cookie crumbs beside the sofa cushion, no dog or cat food crumbs, no salt, nothing edible. Set a minimum of 12 traps . . . check daily.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My experience is that the bait used on the mousetrap would attract mice that otherwise may not come aboard. But I agree, keep the kitchen squeaky clean, nothing edible, including wax candles. I have had them chewing on the wires on my VW camper and nibbling on the wax the factory applied to the underbody for corrosion protection.

I can't stand the chemicals either. They seem to look for food and shelter in the fall, so start frequent inspections soon.

Doug and Cheryl
(Both retired Navy)

By the way, have you checked out the Family Camps at the military bases?. No special bargain, but the security sure is good.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Texarkana , Texas
I had a friend tell me that Irish Spring bar soap would ward off any potential roaches. Does anyone know if this is true?

And, before you say not to leave any edible food in our AS, that is a given. I do know that many of the glues used in vintage trailers are just as good as leaving a jar of peanut butter out with the lid off.

Bill
stratguysrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratguysrv View Post
I had a friend tell me that Irish Spring bar soap would ward off any potential roaches. Does anyone know if this is true?

And, before you say not to leave any edible food in our AS, that is a given. I do know that many of the glues used in vintage trailers are just as good as leaving a jar of peanut butter out with the lid off.

Bill

Urinal cakes work good to ward off roaches. Don't know about Irish Spring although the two smell about the same.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Hedge balls?
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Last winter they chewed the rubber on the lids of our Rubbermaid containers. Take ALL paper products (toilet paper, paper towels etc.) out of the trailer. They make nests with it and it creates a big mess.
mcair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Someone posted last winter that they had tried Irish Spring soap, and not only did it NOT work, but the mice ate it and then died in the toilet - didn't sound pretty.
Our solution is to seal every opening possible into the trailer (and I mean every possible opening!). We found that mice were using our electric cord as a super highway into our SOB (some other brand) trailer- once we switched it to a plug in electrical cord and sealed up the underside, no more problems. Check any opening such as plumbing breaks,etc. They can get in very very small openings. If your finger fits, so will a mouse.

Good luck!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Be advised that the A frame tube is open behind the coupler. I have packed the ends of the tube with stainless Steel Wool. I also used it anywhere I thought the little buggers might possibly be able to get thier head thru. I also have not tried the dryer sheets but I hear they dont like em. Same as we used to put mothballs in a mesh bag or old nylon stocking to keep mice and birds out of the buildings. They dont like the smell I guess.I also loop the embilical cord and safety chains over the A frame(actually my chains and cord come off) to keep em from climbin up them.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...-my-61552.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...son-15788.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I grease my tongue power jack shaft.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Mice?

How are the mice getting in? If your belly pan is in place and the holes for drain lines etc are properly sealed and the fender wells are in good shape. I can only see one place on my '74 that a mouse could get in and that is where the power cord enters the rear compartment and I'm working on a solution for that. I live on a farm and we have our share of mice, believe me. So far, none in the trailer. Knock on wood.
I do use the room deodorizers, like the stick up type in my farm trucks etc and have no problems with mice, they seem to work. I did have problems before putting these deodorizers in the vehicles.
I will put some in the trailer, just for good measure.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratguysrv View Post

Bill
Irish Spring soap did not work for us. The mice ate it.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Oh yeah, remove the soap bars as well. Most are made of processed animal fat and palm oil, among other things.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
This is the best mouse trap I have ever used, it can be washed and you dont have to touch the mouse.
Catch and kill rodents inside the trap with d-CON® Ultra Set® Traps
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1992 33' Land Yacht
Wisconsin Dells , Wisconsin
This trap requires bait, which will 'attract' mice, which may not be the ones that wondered in. I prefer to deal with the wondering mice rather than attracting "passers-by".
Also, these traps appear to be difficult to wash-if you're into cleaning mouse remains in your sink (?)
I tried a "humane" live trap and I didn't retrieve it soon enough and had decomposing mouse (fluids) to contend with---discarded and replaced with a fresh trap.
New Member, Air#45995
WBCCI
1SGT, US Army
Retired
Harleyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #18

2008 34' Classic
Grand Canyon , Arizona
I full time in a 2008 classic without slideout, in N Arizona. Last year I didn't have any problems with mice, but this year there was a population explosion due to a rainy winter. I have caught over 12 in traps in a few months.
I can say about the peppermint oil, it is very expensive and doesn't work for more than a few weeks if at all.
Right now I am focusing on plugging up holes where they get in. The biggest problem is the outside drawer on the bumper. The channels where the wheels run are hard to plug up and afford easy entry for the critters. If one loosens the bolts inside the drawer that act as drawer stops the drawer can be removed. One can then see at least 4 large hole that provide entry into the trailer. For some reason, there are two holes at the far end of the drawer well that the rails of the drawer slides into. If they were plugged, the drawer could not be closed.
Any suggestions?
pstrominger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Suggest Cab Fresh

I've used a product called Cab Fresh and it actually worked -no mice. Farmers use it when storing equipment. Farm implement dealers carry it and I think I last bought it at an RV dealer . Good stuff, all natural and a pleasant pine smell .
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Mice

I can't really comment specifically from airstream experience but we live in the country and have issues at home with field mice. Orkin comes regularly and thye use steel wool to block all of the holes where mice might access the house so I think the steel wool suggestion in the thread above makes sense. Apparently, they don't like going through it or chewing it.

Thought I'd pass this on.

Glad I partiicpate in this forum as I learn new things every day - have not thought much about cleaning the unit out for winter to avoid mouse infestations. Now I've added this to my list!
Sandy
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote