Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #41
Renee

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Fabric Softener Sheets

We use 2 boxes (120 sheets total) of the lavender/vanilla scented sheets and place them them any and everywhere within the Airstream. It's then stored indoors for the winter and (knock on wood) we have never found a single mouse, living or dead, when we take the Airstream out of storage in the spring.
"20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Operation "Save Rudy" Strike Team (honorary member)
Felix'64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1992 33' Land Yacht
Wisconsin Dells , Wisconsin
This method worked best for me

I live in a semi-rural area of Wisconsin--home to many critters, including the wiley mouse! Our LY is parked on gravel along side our garage.
A few years ago I found some mouse activity in the detached garage of our new home, particularly in and on both of our Harley's!! Immediate action was called for!
After researching all "mouse eradication" techniques, including bait, traps and repellants, I settled on this one method which, since we bought our AS motor home, has repelled the wiley rodent from our garage, shed AND our Land Yacht! Yes, they're still around, but I felt that since I couldn't prevent their entering our garage and shed, I'd use a bait that would require their leaving the premises immediatly after 'snacking' on the bait.
I use DECON'S BAIT CHUNKS, which are made of corn, their most favorite food, compressed into a fluted roll with a hole in the center. I placed a nail down the center hole and attached them to pieces of 1x6 boards. (My first efforts were to just place them around the garage, but they would attempt to carry them away) I placed them on the sills in both the garage and our shed. I've had the RV now for two years and NO MICE in it.
Upon mice ingesting the bait, they immediatly develop a strong urge for water and will run off to die somewhere else. Some bait chunks show recent activity and some do not.
I firmly believe that mice can/will become hitch hikers while we camp in/near their home range. I'm thinking that our little Yorkie Poo 'repels' them while camping...at least I hope so.
New Member, Air#45995
WBCCI
1SGT, US Army
Retired
Harleyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Mice are a real pain! I use an ultra-sonic (electric) repeller and it works well - as long as the electric is on. I got it at Sharper Image.

The Silver Pearl & The Black Pearl

2008 25' Safari FB SE Queen converted to King
2014 Ford Expedition EXP Limited 4x4 V-8
McKesh towing mirrors
Centramatic Balancers
Hensley Swift-Arrow Hitch
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
Fresh Cab by Earth kind (1800 583 2921) I have found very effective in keeping the "little critters" out of my AS.
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have used a combination of Fresh Cab and a food/bar soap free interior to keep mice out of our campers for many years. Never had one inside.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
If you do get mice, here is a tip I got from an exterminator. The company he works for has bug and pest contracts with numerous convenience stores. He was telling me that when the stores have mice problems about the only thing the mice would ever get into in the front of the store was the Rolo candy. He said he would go in and there would be Rolo's opened and eaten by the rats/mice but never any other candy. Being a pretty smart guy, he started baiting traps with Rolo candy. He had always used peanut butter before. He told me that when he sat mouse traps with each side by side the mice always went to the Rolo's. He said he has caught mice that home owners could not catch, always with Rolo's. When camping last fall at a state park I brought home a "passenger". Rolo's to the rescue, caught him the first night.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
This thread may be more important than I realized.
I saw this article on line today.
For those of you that have old trailers your working on, beware of the droppings and breathing the dust.

Hantavirus: What Are The Symptoms Of The Virus That Killed 2 At Yosemite
Camp?

P.S. -Nice tip 68 TWind, I'll have to remember that one.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #48

2009 25' SS International
Sapphire , North Carolina
I live in an area with lot's of mice and have found methods to keep them out of the house even though people around here say it's impossible to keep them out. Catch the mice in live traps, let them go and watch, they almost always go back to their access point. Seal it with steel wool or metal tape and set the traps back up. Eventually the mice will show you all the holes. I have had two Airstreams, an 04 and an 08. Both got mice and this method worked until one of the mice ate a hole in the water tank! I would like to know how a high end camper like Airstream can build campers that leave the factory with mouse holes. CEO, can you hear me? Why would you not replace your plant manager and find one who can do his job right?
mmagalis is offline   Reply With Quote