Old 02-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Kimball , Minnesota
Cab Fresh Worked for Me!

I have had a terrible time with mice in my Airstream, this year I have none. Thank you, Cab Fresh! It come in a box with three small bags of sented wood shavings, it smells like a balsam christmas tree. It took a couple of weeks to work completely, but since October I have been mouse free. Like mothballs, etc it is supposed to interfere with their ability to smell and thus "navigate". I used to use a "Tin Cat" type of wind up mouse trap. it doesn't use bail and can catch multiple mice. I was taking 40-50 of the devils out each winter!

Old 02-20-2011, 07:29 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
This is one issue I have never experienced.
Knock on wood.

I have had ants in both trailers, but never mice.

Have had the Avion since 87 and AS since 07.
I guess parking on a concrete driveway may have helped.

I do not wish mice or cockroaches on anyone.

Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by musketeer View Post
I have had a terrible time with mice in my Airstream, this year I have none. Thank you, Cab Fresh! It come in a box with three small bags of sented wood shavings, it smells like a balsam christmas tree. It took a couple of weeks to work completely, but since October I have been mouse free. Like mothballs, etc it is supposed to interfere with their ability to smell and thus "navigate". I used to use a "Tin Cat" type of wind up mouse trap. it doesn't use bail and can catch multiple mice. I was taking 40-50 of the devils out each winter!
Never tried it myself, but I have a friend with a vintage auto who used to have serious mouse issues every fall -- he also swears by Cab Fresh.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:02 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25 View Post
Irish Spring soap did not work for us. The mice ate it.
We have a cabin in the woods -- the soap is Irish Spring, and yes, it gets eaten. But not as much as the Ivory gets eaten...
Old 10-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Freshcab available online. Not cheap, but we used it liberally last year and no problems at all.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Nevada City , California
Before the AS I used Bounce, and it worked beautifully.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am not sure you can keep them out. A mouse can get through a hole about the size of a dime. Bait traps work pretty well. Those sticky traps work pretty well also. Ocassionally we even get them in the house. One got in my shop the other day and got into some ant poison. He was almost gone when I found him. The bait traps cause them to hemorage and as a result they go outside and look for a source of water and hopefully die outside your trailer.

Don't get me started on mud dobbers.

Perry
Old 11-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #36

2008 34' Classic
Grand Canyon , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I took the drawer completely out and cut pieces of aluminum screening to fit a little larger than the holes and glued them in place with clear silicon.
I did that in all the access places like the inside of the little side boxes that are in the banana wrap. I wanted to leave them open for air circulation but block the area from mice and bugs. Also did the same thing in the front where the frame is joined together. The screening stays in place. It took me a whole afternoon to seal up all the holes this way. There are quite a few to cover over and some are odd shaped.
I don't understand how you could close the drawer after that. I gave up on sealing the holes in the drawer well, sealed around the drawer with metallic duct tape, so the drawer cannot be used, but the critters were still getting in. What really helped was when I began setting traps under the trailer. Before I did that, I was catching a couple of mice in my trailer per week. After setting the traps outside, I only got 3 inside since about May. I put the traps inside hollow cinder blocks to protect them from wind etc.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Last couple of times out,I have briefly seen a black snake in my trunk,he`s only about 2' long,have no problem with the mice. As long as my wife doesn`t know about the snake,and he stays out of our bed,everything is just great. Dave
Old 11-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1980 25' Excella II
St. Marys , Ontario
Have been using scented fabric softener dryer sheets. No mice. Winter stored indoors on concrete floor.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
as long as it does not freeze i put water in a bucket , peanut butter all around the inside in spots here and there..and a wood ramp,they clime up,try to reach the p.butter, fall in and drown...poor things..but its them or me...i also put traps with p.butter,and poison near the pump compartment etc..living in the middle of the woods i have to take drastic measures...moth ball and Dawny do not work for me ..by the time it snows and freezes mouses have moved way and established themselves somewhere else....
Old 11-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #40

2008 34' Classic
Grand Canyon , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garamax View Post
Have been using scented fabric softener dryer sheets. No mice. Winter stored indoors on concrete floor.
Yeah, well... I winterized mine last week, set 3 traps. Put Bounce dryer sheets everywhere. 5 days or so later, there was a mouse in one of the traps. The other traps had their baits stolen, something I never believed was possible for a mouse to do. One was sprung and one was unsprung.

I live next to a wilderness of pinyon-juniper woods in N Arizona. I think the mice are not house mice, but something like harvest mice or deer mice. But they like to invade human dwellings and will take advantage of an opportunity.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #41
Renee

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Fabric Softener Sheets

We use 2 boxes (120 sheets total) of the lavender/vanilla scented sheets and place them them any and everywhere within the Airstream. It's then stored indoors for the winter and (knock on wood) we have never found a single mouse, living or dead, when we take the Airstream out of storage in the spring.
"20 years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Operation "Save Rudy" Strike Team (honorary member)
Felix'64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1992 33' Land Yacht
Wisconsin Dells , Wisconsin
This method worked best for me

I live in a semi-rural area of Wisconsin--home to many critters, including the wiley mouse! Our LY is parked on gravel along side our garage.
A few years ago I found some mouse activity in the detached garage of our new home, particularly in and on both of our Harley's!! Immediate action was called for!
After researching all "mouse eradication" techniques, including bait, traps and repellants, I settled on this one method which, since we bought our AS motor home, has repelled the wiley rodent from our garage, shed AND our Land Yacht! Yes, they're still around, but I felt that since I couldn't prevent their entering our garage and shed, I'd use a bait that would require their leaving the premises immediatly after 'snacking' on the bait.
I use DECON'S BAIT CHUNKS, which are made of corn, their most favorite food, compressed into a fluted roll with a hole in the center. I placed a nail down the center hole and attached them to pieces of 1x6 boards. (My first efforts were to just place them around the garage, but they would attempt to carry them away) I placed them on the sills in both the garage and our shed. I've had the RV now for two years and NO MICE in it.
Upon mice ingesting the bait, they immediatly develop a strong urge for water and will run off to die somewhere else. Some bait chunks show recent activity and some do not.
I firmly believe that mice can/will become hitch hikers while we camp in/near their home range. I'm thinking that our little Yorkie Poo 'repels' them while camping...at least I hope so.

New Member, Air#45995
WBCCI
1SGT, US Army
Retired
Harleyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote