Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Rodent-proofing for storage

We are concerned about rodent-proofing our Minuet. It could live in our driveway for the winter, but we were hoping to put it in storage. The affordable outdoor storage places around here are on the fringes, areas where rodents are much more common than in the city. Anyone know what works for keeping mice and packrats out? Where do they get in? Is there a way to plug up all the holes so they can't get in?
zimbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Mice Know Quality

I can only speak for myself, but this is what I do.
  • assume they will get in
  • clean thoroughly
  • no food left what so ever, include rodent " food type but, non food items...tums, tube of toothpaste etc.
  • I place dryer sheet (scented) all about, I even use on with the refridgerator wedge. I don't really know if it does any good, but the proverbial urban legend says it works and it does seem to leave a nice scent.
  • At least four to six good Victor snap traps , they have one that does not require bait....looks like an old Victor with a big yellow step pad.
  • At least six to eight sticky traps.
  • Sticky traps goe in areas that the snaps will not work in. Runway areas and so forth...if it looks like a spot a rodent would use for concealed movement it gets a trap.
  • Mice like Airstreams (they know quality when they see it) . Of course mice seem to like all RV's but let's not get lost in the details. Mice will find a way in, it is sort of like the civil engineering rule that says "water always wins".
  • alternate method repuires much food,heat, water and + regular visits! Some one has probably tried this method! I can't speak to how practical it is and you will not have that nice fresh scent in the spring! But you won't have mice either.
In three years I have only traped three mice , I have found droppings here and there in the spring . Just figure on them entering and prepare a good defense with a trap spread that will provide less incentive to stay (no food) and a hazard (traps). The PO only put beer and water in the fridge and ate at restaraunts when he used it.

I have not yet found a market for mouse pelts but I will keep checking!
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbop
We are concerned about rodent-proofing our Minuet. It could live in our driveway for the winter, but we were hoping to put it in storage. The affordable outdoor storage places around here are on the fringes, areas where rodents are much more common than in the city. Anyone know what works for keeping mice and packrats out? Where do they get in? Is there a way to plug up all the holes so they can't get in?

Unfortunately, there is a super highway for rodents to enter your Airstream or Argosy. You cannot see it, unless your underneath the trailer.

The steel A-frame, where it begins underneath the coupler, is wide open.

A rodent can enter there, crawl back into the underbelly, and from there have many choices of where to enter to get above the floor.

The fix is easy.

The fastest and cheapest fix is to stuff some steel wool into that opening.

Unfortunately, best I can remember, all of the trailers have the same problem.

Don't wait for the rodents to inhabit your trailer, install that steel wool now.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Would there be any drawback to shooting "Great Stuff" foam in there. I think rodents won't chew great stuff. But is that somehow creating a water trap?
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
We had the little beast last year. Moth balls were recommended by the folks in the campground where we are parked. An open box in the trunk - in the bath cabinet and under the sink. We also spread three boxes under the trailer. The smell went away in the spring after a few hours in the spring. If you can wait a week or so - the steel wool is a good idea but you can also get aluminum wool that won't rust. We found the main access for us to the inside was a gap around the bath fan exhaust line where it goes through the floor - that has since been sealed.

SoBo Distribution Inc. Coarse Aluminum, 1-lbs reel, single reel
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:00 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1989 34' Limited
toronto , ontario
have done all of the above, every year I do something different, this time I went arround with more expantion foam in the A frame, area also where the wires enter the A frame.

the one area not addressed is the steps, I tried filling behind the 2 long notches for the step slide with steel wool then sprayed expantion foam inside, but since mice still get in I will make a tray that completly covers the step, Oh mice can jump 2' high and if you can insert a pencil in the gap they can enter as their entire body is double jointed.

drive safe
good luck
letsgo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:54 AM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
If you have electricty available you might try the sonic repellents

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 AM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ok, here are the places they will enter a late model classic:

tounge as andy mentioned.

umbilical cord pass through, drop your spare tire to see this one. very large hole, big enough to pass the 7 pin connector through!

either side of the rear of the recess for the spare tire, 2" cutouts here.

rear frame, there are openings in the trunk and rear of frame.

and any other cutout for gas piping in the belly pan, inspect each one!

so here is what i did, the front i made hardware cloth covers that insert into the frame, same for trunk area. spare tire area, filled the umbilical cord hole with silly cone (i used silicone because it is easy to remove if i have to replace the cord). the two 2 inch holes at the rear of the spare tire recess i made 3 inch square pieces of hardware cloth and glued them over the openings with vulkem. and vulkem around any of the gas line cutouts that needed it.

hopefully i have got everything covered for about 3 bucks worth of materials.

i'll post pics if anyone needs help figuring this one out. pretty simple.

airstream did build a better mousetrap that is for sure!

john
Old 10-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
The PO used moth balls. No signs of rodents, but it still smells like moth balls after two months of serious airing out. I'm going to rip out the carpet and see if that helps.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
still smells like moth balls after two months of serious airing out
Shouldn't still smell unless they just sprinkled them around on the carpet and they dissolved into it. We just cut the top of a whole box off and set them in place or pour them out onto a foam plate.

Sorry to hear it's going to force the removal of the carpet. (but I hate carpet in a trailer - give me good old vinyl).
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:54 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ellis Grove , Illinois
Fresh Cab

Try Fresh Cab Scent Pouches. Just posted a new thread on this product.
KANEHILL is offline   Reply With Quote