Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2004, 03:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Portable Exterior Sun Shade

I have noted that many of us are consistently working on the exterior of our Airstreams. In my part of the country the sun can be merciless so if a building can not be found the use of a sun shade can save a bunch of sweat.

I will post a crude picture of what it is basically, but will describe it below.

1) You will need four 12 ft poles, fence pipe works well here. Four 5 gallon buckets, and enough bagged concrete to fill the four 5 gallon buckets.

2) Place the mixed concrete in each bucket along with a bottomed out 12 ft pole. Keep the pole as straight as possible and allow the concrete to dry.

Next you can use any size tarp you want, but I use a 16ft x 18ft cheap blue throwaway tarp. You will need to construct a frame to support your tarp. I used PVC for this and on mine you need 4 pvc elbows, 12 PVC T-Connectors. I used 1 1/4" PVC heavy wall to make the outer portion and fence pipe to make the inner supports. I also used bolts to join the connections instead of glue (this makes it possible to take it apart.

3) Make your frame as needed so your tarp fits inside it and can be tied to its outer portion.

4) On each of the 4 ends you need to make the elbow go so the outer frame continues around to itself. You also need to space in a T connection close to the corner, face it down so it can connect to your poles that are concreted in the bucket of cement.

5) Tie your tarp onto your completed frame

6) Place your unit onto the concreted poles Bolting is optional, but I do suggest it in case you get a sudden burst of wind.

It takes 2 people to place everything in place and this shade provides enough room from its bottom to the top of your trailer to work between effectively.

Note: If it is going to storm you will probably want to take the shade down just so it doesn't tear up. It's basically a sun shade, but you can use it to work on your trailer when it is raining lightly also.

Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portable cover.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	7501  

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 08:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Neat design. One observation If two of the poles were 13' and the other two 11' you would have a shed roof that would let rain water drain instead of puddling and still have the same clearance.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 06:35 AM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I have seen similar shade roofs at swap meets, althoug with lower sides. I recall seeing a vendor that was selling fittings and tarps that can be used with electrical conduit tubing to make shade roofs in all different configurations.