Portable Exterior Sun Shade
I have noted that many of us are consistently working on the exterior of our Airstreams. In my part of the country the sun can be merciless so if a building can not be found the use of a sun shade can save a bunch of sweat.
I will post a crude picture of what it is basically, but will describe it below.
1) You will need four 12 ft poles, fence pipe works well here. Four 5 gallon buckets, and enough bagged concrete to fill the four 5 gallon buckets.
2) Place the mixed concrete in each bucket along with a bottomed out 12 ft pole. Keep the pole as straight as possible and allow the concrete to dry.
Next you can use any size tarp you want, but I use a 16ft x 18ft cheap blue throwaway tarp. You will need to construct a frame to support your tarp. I used PVC for this and on mine you need 4 pvc elbows, 12 PVC T-Connectors. I used 1 1/4" PVC heavy wall to make the outer portion and fence pipe to make the inner supports. I also used bolts to join the connections instead of glue (this makes it possible to take it apart.
3) Make your frame as needed so your tarp fits inside it and can be tied to its outer portion.
4) On each of the 4 ends you need to make the elbow go so the outer frame continues around to itself. You also need to space in a T connection close to the corner, face it down so it can connect to your poles that are concreted in the bucket of cement.
5) Tie your tarp onto your completed frame
6) Place your unit onto the concreted poles Bolting is optional, but I do suggest it in case you get a sudden burst of wind.
It takes 2 people to place everything in place and this shade provides enough room from its bottom to the top of your trailer to work between effectively.
Note: If it is going to storm you will probably want to take the shade down just so it doesn't tear up. It's basically a sun shade, but you can use it to work on your trailer when it is raining lightly also.
Just adding my 2˘ worth
1975 31ft Sovereign International
........Rear Bath Double Bed Model
Tow Vehicle:1999 GMC Serria SLE Classic 1500 5.7Ltr
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar