Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Pole Barn RV Garage?

Anyone have a strong opinion (pro or con) about the durability of a pole style RV garage? It would be wood frame with metal roof/siding supported off treated lumber embedded into the ground (concreted). Attached is a description from one of the vendors:

http://www.hansenpolebuildings.com/p...s/foundations/

Looking to build this spring in Burrville, UT (mountain valley area) where we have decent bearing soils with lots of basalt cobbles. Pole style seems like a decent option. Likely similar to this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1455994575.845590.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	257589
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #2
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I like your proposed garage layout. We had a very similar layout quoted a few years ago and hope to build it in our backyard someday.

For our situation a metal frame structure was readily available and reasonably cost effective. Our local code requires a concrete floor. Our total cost was estimated at just over $20k. Approximately 1/2 of the cost was for concrete and grading work, the other half for the metal building. The contractor was going to install the conduit and drains in the concrete so I can finish out water, electric and sewer at a later date. Our estimate does not include insulation and we planned to keep the number of windows to a minimum.

There are several threads on the subject. Take some time to do some searching and you may find some useful information.

For reference, here's a copy of our plan. There is a tree in the back right corner that we want to save so we shortened the side of the garage for the tow vehicle.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf garage_renderings.pdf (1.69 MB, 429 views)
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
There should be no prob. w/this style of building as they are used in commercial and farmers have them in huge sizes for farm equip and some have many million dollars equip. Some combines and tractors cost $500,000 or more plus semis etc. Trucking co. have them also. If you insulate and heat you will not have to winterize as I have been doing this way since 1991 with out any prob. & it gets cold in No. Illinois but I have genny if lose power so can run furnace. all I do is drain holding tanks empty fresh water that's it
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks to both of you for the posts and info. sharing. I'll have to dig deeper into some of the existing threads and older posts. I tried a search before my post, but didn't seem to have much luck yielding applicable results (maybe my expectations are tainted by Google.)

Luckily, permit fees and local codes concerns are modest, mostly just concern with an engineered design, snow loads (60 psf) and frost depth. Not sure about building it initially with a concrete floor due to budget constraints - would be nice to have.

Regards - Ron
Old 02-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
If you have morton buildings you area they stand behind there buildings except they are a tad bit more expensive. I built my own conventional style w/2x6 walls 24 inch on center trussed roof, poured footings, cement floor for less $ than pole builders quoted.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks, featherbedder - I had not considered Morton. In looking at their website, it looks like the closest sales office is in Montrose, CO with a production facility in KS. They did list a Utah contractors license number, so they likely have ventured this far west. We have some good local suppliers, but Morton looks like a big, seasoned supplier to consider.

Regards - Ron
Old 02-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #7
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
I had a pole barn where I kept the trailer for 15 years. Then we moved. I really miss having that space. I had a tight approach in order to back the trailer into place. If you have the space, best case is a pole barn with doors front and rear, allowing driving in from the rear and exiting from the front. If that's not an option, allow plenty of gravel/paved depth in front of the door to make backing in easy (I didn't and couldn't change the dimensions). Also a plus is having rack shelving opposite and close to the trailer door. It made loading and unloading supplies for a trip quick and easy.
Definitely plan for 110 VAC and fresh water to be available at the site.
Mark Wiltrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My dream home is 500 sqft with a 1000sqf rustic pole barn sitting beside a slow moving creek in Westen North Carolina. Have the spot all picked out.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks, Mark - great suggestions. Yes, I do have room for a pull-through configuration and that is the plan for sure (much more convenient). We already have water and power available nearby, as this will be located on the property of our family ranch house.

Regards - Ron
Old 02-20-2016, 02:58 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
My dream home is 500 sqft with a 1000sqf rustic pole barn sitting beside a slow moving creek in Westen North Carolina. Have the spot all picked out.

Sounds nice!
Old 02-20-2016, 11:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I built a pole barn to store hay and after selling the livestock, converted it to store my MH and a couple of cars. Also have a pull through open at both ends for the AS and car trailer.
My only suggestion is to make sure that it is high enough inside to do roof work without having to crawl to avoid bumping your head. Also proper lighting is a must for working on the trailer.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I had a pole building put up last year for my tow vehicle and Caravel. It the best thing I could have done. No worries now.
Not sure if you have Amish near you but that is who I bought my steel from . They form it and and paint it. It cost about a third less than any where else I priced. No middle man.
It is the same gage steel and they use the same coating as the big guys. Same warranty too.
Good luck with the project, you won't regret it.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:07 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks for the additional comments. Preliminary dimensions are for a 16' eave height, so there should be some interior clearance above the AS. Looking to have full length translucent panels up high for natural light, but will likely have to pull the unit out for good lighting (not planning to wire for lights or outlets). I'm not aware of Amish folks out this way, but you never know who might be a good supplier (still researching.)

Regards - Ron
Old 02-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #14
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Man View Post
Luckily, permit fees and local codes concerns are modest, mostly just concern with an engineered design, snow loads (60 psf) and frost depth. Not sure about building it initially with a concrete floor due to budget constraints - would be nice to have.
You don't necessarily need a concrete floor unless local building codes require it (which is unlikely outside of city limits). However, whether use use timber poles or a pre-engineered metal frame, some kind of concrete footing is essential. It might just be concrete piers under each upright, but you need to keep the frame out of direct contact with the soil.

Also, it's not just snow loads, don't forget wind loads. Refer to ASCE 7 "Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures" 2010 edition. The book ain't cheap at $165 a copy, but your local public library should have a copy. Or if you do a Google search for "ASCE/SEI 7-10 PDF", you may just find an illegal downloadable PDF copy online for free, on an FTP site maintained by a government agency of the State of California who should know better than to violate copyright that way. But of course I can't tell you which agency or give you a direct link…

Allow for a minimum of 4 feet of clearance on all sides of your trailer for maintenance access. Imagine yourself trying to change a flat tire before pulling out, and give yourself enough room to do that.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Thanks, Protagonist - I will plan for plenty of clearance per your suggestion, even a second bay to park the TV. There is a link above to the footing concept employed here (courtesy of Hansen Pole Buildings), and it will need to be sized for the loads. Fortunately, most of the suppliers have design programs that take into consideration all of the codes and local design requirements, so it's pretty easy for me other than the prerequisite research. I would like to have the concrete floor for obvious reasons, but it is not required here.

Good suggestions - much appreciated. I am a licensed (P.E.) civil engineer, so I am familiar with structural and geotechnical design criteria, but will not have to design the structure or stamp the drawings, as the suppliers offer this.

Thanks - Ron
Old 02-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
Perfect and you could leave one side open to enjoy the view
bigfoot390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
What dimensions were you thinking of? I have a 30' trailer and was thinking of 40'x20'. A concrete pad helps keep down the dust.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Pleasant Plains , Illinois
I built a pole barn about 9 years ago that houses my AS, assorted toys, and work shop. I bit the bullet and poured a concrete floor while building. I'm glad I did, because it would have been a pain to haul everything out of it to pour a floor later. I have no regrets in building it other than I probably should have made it larger. I suspect you will be glad you built it after you have it up.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Pleasant Plains , Illinois
I should have added that the dimensions of my pole barn are 48' x 30'.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by nswhite View Post
What dimensions were you thinking of? I have a 30' trailer and was thinking of 40'x20'. A concrete pad helps keep down the dust.

Thanks for the additional comments. The overall footprint is planned as 36' wide by 48' long. This would include the main bay for the AS that's 22' wide (16' eave height), and an attached bay for the TV that's 14' wide. I also envision storing other things in there, like lawn mower etc. I agree that getting concrete in up front would be ideal.

Regards - Ron