Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2016, 10:33 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Here is the actual post I was referring to on the battery test:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...es-133243.html

Thx

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 11-27-2016, 10:39 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Also, I just read this from the Trojan battery website, check out point 9 in link below, which I copy here:

"9. Can a flooded battery freeze?
The only way that a battery can freeze is if it is left in a state of partial or complete discharge. As the state of charge in a battery decreases, the electrolyte becomes more like water and the freezing temperature increases. The freezing temperature of the electrolyte in a fully charged battery is -92º F (-69º C). At a 40% state of charge, electrolyte will freeze if the temperature reaches approximately 16º F (-9º C)."

So, it looks like if the wet flooded cell battery stays above 50% charge, it will not freeze. If the battery is disconnected and has no phantom loads, if it is stored initially at full charge, in 3-4 months it should be fine as was mentioned in the post above.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/faq/

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 11-27-2016, 11:13 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the link to idroba's thread, which does support the point you made, but also has many specific qualifying conditions/caveats in his Post #1 about the previous use of, and current condition of, the stored batteries. I don't want to hijack Ron's thread into one about batteries, but anyone planning on following idroba's advice should follow his precise guidelines, and know the limitations of cold storage without charging. He was a master of detail, and very knowledgeable about AS use, so I defer to his advice.

His calm and clear demeanor are missed. Rest in Peace.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ba-150067.html

Thanks again, Rich, for providing the link.

Peter

PS -- In particular, idroba pointed out that: "The original Interstate batteries had never been abused and the trailer was not a lot demonstrator, so the batteries were never subject to “lot rot". "

Most AS owners may not be in a position to know this about their batteries, so the 3-4 month storage without charging could become an expensive lesson is ascertaining the overall health of their batteries IMO. My take? Only perfect batteries should be subjected to the test. YMMV of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Here is the actual post I was referring to on the battery test:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...es-133243.html
. . .
Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:25 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Thx Peter, I agree, I'm new to AS, and don't want anyone to think I am recommending or an expert here. Just pointing out a few data points and info previously posted etc.

My AS hasn't even arrived yet (hopefully in two weeks). I have enjoyed these forums and learning, but I am a Noobie for sure.

Thx
Troutboy, aka Rich
Old 11-28-2016, 05:10 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Gaffney , South Carolina
Those are some nice structures. I went with Steelmaster, my first experience putting together one of those.

Whatever you build, remember the Second Law of Sheds- as soon as you finish its full of stuff and too small.

The First Law of Sheds- remember the Second Law of Sheds before you begin.

DT57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Richfield/SLC , Utah
This weekends project: "spring cleaning" the yard around the new RV pole barn. Removed decades worth of stacked lumber, old wood poles, grass piles, and lots of miscellaneous debris and crapola. Begin to see how this space could be reclaimed and made useful (Airstream guest parking?) with a bit more work...

Greetings from South Central Utah.

Ron
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1507.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	283956
Utah Man is offline   Reply With Quote