Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Winterizing, Storage, Carports & Covers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2019, 04:23 AM   #1

Saint Regis Falls , NY
Pole Barn or Enclosed Shed

Ordered a 2020 16' Bambi and need to build a protection structure. We are leaning towards a pole barn but want to know your thoughts of a pole barn versus an enclosed structure for Northern Adirondack weather.
RichardJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
Ordered a 2020 16' Bambi and need to build a protection structure. We are leaning towards a pole barn but want to know your thoughts of a pole barn versus an enclosed structure for Northern Adirondack weather.

Is this 16' Bambi as big as you'll get or a starter Airstream? Land size? If land is no issue and if you might get a larger Airstream or RV in the future, I like the pole barn option better than a basic enclosed structure. Pole barns are typically bigger than purpose built structures and have space for things that allow you to grow into them in my opinion, but everyone's needs and situations are different. My definition of enclosed structure is not one of those tarp tent type things. Just my two cents....
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
dont forget to check out the metal garage/RV covers.. they are lots easier to get, not as expensive as a pole barn and last for years..

you can get a 31 foot long by 15 ft wide and 12 feet tall for less than 2K most times.

https://store.alansfactoryoutlet.com...ar-carport.htm
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Do you plan on shoveling the snow off the "gizmo" in the winter? How much drifting will you get in your location? Having an 8 foot drift cave in the side of the trailer would be a bummer.

I would vote for an open structure. It will get the job done for the minimum cost. I'd put money into a concrete slab floor before I'd spend it on walls. As noted above, make sure it's nice and big..... and has electricity .....and has water .... and has a sewer hookup ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2008 19' Safari SE
Hocking Hills , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
dont forget to check out the metal garage/RV covers.. they are lots easier to get, not as expensive as a pole barn and last for years..

I have all 3 structures for various purposes on our farm in Ohio. I like the corrugated steel buildings for RV storage for several reasons:

...A less expensive, weather resistant option that is typically a one day professional install (concrete base will take longer to cure and is generally a separate job/contractor). You can DIY, but some things are worth paying for. You don't have to put in a concrete base (graded gravel will do), although I have and appreciate the concrete floor in mine for drainage, reduced humidity and especially when I need to work under the trailer.

...These units are expandable for the seemingly inevitable larger trailer of the future. Just make sure you plan ahead and allow yourself room to expand if needed.

...They can be upgraded from just a cover to full walls, insulation, garage and man-doors, lighting, electric heater fan, etc.

...These units can be taken down and moved or salvaged if need be.

...There are many vendors/Mfg of these metal buildings. Compare support ribs and sheet steel gauge thickness, primer/paint quality, anchoring options, warranties and reviews. Pay attention to the reviews of vendors and installers in your area. I have seen more issues with the vendors and installers than the units themselves. Also check out internet reviews and threads on AirForums regarding these buildings...there are quite a few. Your requirements for a building of this type will differ from those of someone in Texas or Florida. A good vendor will make sure you get the proper unit and anchoring system for the snow, temps and other challenges of your region.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have a 28'AS and built a 36' pole barn with 14' side walls, a 12 x 12 door and 18' wide.
1) I have about 1.7 acres of land and I didn't want to build something that was too big.If I build something too big it becomes an over improvement and I get back less of the cost in resale. (I am a real estate appraiser).
2) I wanted something that I could possibly insulate and heat in the future.
3) I wanted it long enough that if I upgraded to a 30' I could.
4) I called around to RV places and they said that a 12' door is preferable for a travel trailer since most are 11'6 tall. And 12' wide because it is more forgiving backing in.
5). I wanted something that I could store other things like camper equipment and other lawn equipment to get some of it out of my garage.
6). I wanted a place that I could work on it out of the wind, the sun, cold, etc
7) I also thought about the fact that if I ever sell, people with boats etc would want it enclosed.

I debated a lot and decided to go with the pole barn because it gave me more options, the resale would be better, the protection would be better, and the cost would not be prohibitive (total cost was about $27,000).

That was my decision process.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Shakopee , Minnesota
Check local codes

I would suggest you first check with your local building department. They seem to like to control other peoples life. I built my pole shed 30 years ago and use it for storing my Airstream. Since that time they have changed ordinances. Now they put a height and size restriction. They also wont allow steel siding anymore. They could also have other restrictions on other structures. Kind of defeats the purpose of a Pole shed. Good luck
TimeForFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Pole barn:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barn front.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	607.8 KB
ID:	356540  
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2008 19' Safari SE
Hocking Hills , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForFun View Post
I would suggest you first check with your local building department. They seem to like to control other peoples life. I built my pole shed 30 years ago and use it for storing my Airstream. Since that time they have changed ordinances. Now they put a height and size restriction. They also wont allow steel siding anymore. They could also have other restrictions on other structures.

Good point. Different structures may require different permitting as well. I live in a rural township without zoning (for the moment), and have not had to worry too much about building restrictions, although we do need to pass safety inspections for structure and electrical. I know they pay attention as eventually my property taxes go up after a new barn or shed appears on the property.

I have heard of restrictions on steel siding structures in populated tornado/storm prone areas in the Midwest/SE due to flying debris issues.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
100 Mile House , British Columbia
Log barn

This is what we built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B92B79AA-492E-4BA2-88BC-6B04FF16D978.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	552.3 KB
ID:	356542  
Old Farm Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Some advice, make sure long enough for future usage, plus 12 ft. wide doors not 10 as very difficult to back AS also very hard to see inside when backing in w/10 ft. doors in & wide enough over all to store & work in. Concrete floors nice & very desirable over gravel. I did 10 wide doors, big mistake as had plenty room for 12 but try save money, bad judgment.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:17 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Winchester , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post

you can get a 31 foot long by 15 ft wide and 12 feet tall for less than 2K most times.

I am a little concerned about snow load on the shelters I see on that site. I have had Greenhouses with better pitches collapse under snow in NH.
RWilliKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:54 PM   #13
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
I live in a rural mountain community with abundant wildlife. Before that, the Atlanta suburbs, also with abundant wildlife from ground squirrels to coyotes. In both cases nature’s creatures are constantly trying to invade my home structures AND vehicles when parked outdoors. Wasps, spiders, mice, ground squirrels, bats, scorpions and digging armadillos are always looking for refuge and sustenance with potentially destructive consequences. Just last week we made a $1400.00 insurance claim on my wife’s Honda Pilot after grey squirrels took up quarters in the engine compartment munching on the wiring harness. Mice have dined on my riding mower wiring and even ate the pull cord on a push mower when stored in a friend’s pole barn. We have even had a buck use the corner of our deck to rub the velvet off it’s rack! Imagine what one could do to the side of your Airstream during the rut. And let’s not forget trees with sap, acorns, dead branches just waiting for opportunities from above.

Yes, shelter (and insurance) is a wise investment but only if it is critter proof. In my book that means concrete floor with solid walls and roof that will keep out unwanted guests. When not being used, our AS lives in a commercial, climate controlled sealed building with other RVs, boats and vehicles.
WBCCI #2584
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Bigger “IS” better. When it comes to pole barns, Open sides can be easily covered. Drive through would be “the cat’s pajamas”
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:30 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Why open sides: With a fully enclosed building, you are backing the trailer into a dark hole. You have no references to work against as you do the process.( = there is nothing to aim for). With an open set of sides the normal sunlight will provide you with lots of light to see what you are doing.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:45 AM   #16
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
Just another option, but I went with a 14 X 36 Shelter logic. A couple of different options of durability (heavy duty covering). Put together with two people in one day. Secured to ground with secure anchoring system. Snow and wind rated but the snow just slides off the structure. Never had an issue with strong winds. Going on three years without issue. Send me PM if you want more info or pics.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:51 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
New Milford , Pennsylvania
I built a 20 X 36 pole barn before purchasing my AS 25 Globetrotter. As mentioned before, Being out of the wind and being able to plug into electric is nice as well as a concrete floor. WARNING: You will be amazed at how much "stuff" will also end up in the barn. I am just below Binghamton, NY and get lots of lake effect snow. Roof has no issues. But where is the tractor/plow. Yep, next to the Airstream.
AKmtnpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Years ago, I had a pole barn built to enclose equipment, a backhoe, and an excavator. It was 30 x 60 with two 12' high garage doors and a man door. It also has a Concrete floor.

I shopped around, and most estimates came in approximately $40,000. A friend of mine suggested I contact the nearby Amish community. Long story short, they built me a superior building for $19,000.

One feature you can get if appropriately built is walls that go below the ground. They used tongue and groove treated lumber three feet below the ground surface to prohibit burrowing animals from getting inside. Mice can still get in, but larger animals cannot.

Also, you can have gutters and proper drainage for the water that this will shed.

Before you do anything, and as suggested here, contact your local building department (county) to see what rules and regulations are in your area. Most likely, you will have to pull permits and have this inspected.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
In my experience, a pole barn and a shed are more about how they are constructed than whether they have walls or not.
It's common here for pole barns have aluminum siding and look like any finished building. A friend has a pole barn with a Sun blocking screen on the sides so air can get through but the Sun is reduced by 80%.
If you build it very tight, it becomes an oven inside and moisture gets trapped.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
RichardJ - midway between Ottawa and Montreal except on the Murican Side, but far enough from big water single storm building-killer snows are rare... For your only post you've got quite a response!

After having had a pole 25x40 barn and a wood framed garage, also a 12x20 tarp shelter that made seven years with one re-roofing when UV killed the poly...

I have no clue what the next building will be - but having a masonry or concrete half-wall or pony wall lift to get framing away from water, mud & mice would be high on the list, it's the spring thaw moisture/humidity creeping around that does the most damage up here in Minnesota...