Old 02-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
Use Auto Mode on the thermostat, not HP. This way when it gets too cold for the heat pump, the furnace will kick on.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:57 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
More good tips. As far as I know I don't have a damper in line with my furnace vent in the bathroom. It's just open.

If I recall correctly, the last time I set the thermostat to auto, it gave the furnace priority over the heat pump, which I thought was odd. It wasn't even freezing outside. Although, I could be mistaken in this. It's a good idea none the less in case my propane bottles go dry while I'm away.

Today I invested in a 1500w space heater. It was the biggest I could find on short notice. Space heaters are in VERY short supply around here this winter. LOTS of RVs/campers around. Had to hit 5 stores before I found one in stock. I'll take DKB_SATX advice and use his thermostat/space heater temp configuration. Although according to the low temp for the next 10 days barley touches on 32 degF.

I'll also be taking a few more extra measures such as blowing the plumbing with compressed air, and completely disconnecting the toilet when I leave this time. All this should have been done since the beginning of winter but I really thought the HP would keep the AS at a decent enough temp to not warrant the extra effort. Hindsight is 20/20 eh?

Thanks to every one for taking the time to leave their advice/feedback/experience. This is honestly the most helpful forum I've ever used (for any topic/interest).

holtenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Since the trailer is stationary for the winter per the information posted, perhaps acquire a 100 pound bottle of propane as primary with one of the 30 pound bottles as backup to use during the winter?

WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote