Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #21
David

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Question for Barry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
Mike

I remove my battery and then plug the trailer in for the winter. I have a small heater that I leave on that keeps the trailer to about 55 degrees. I do not have the fridge on = I turn it off, leave the door ajar, and put a package of baking soda in it. I unplug any other electrical devices so the only draw is the heater. We've been doing this with our trailers since 1969 and never had a problem both when we lived on the prairies and for the past 18 years on the wet coast.

Barry
Barry,

Do you use the power supply to power the trailer outlets or did you run a cord in from the outside? I want to put one of those oil radiant heaters in my 27' but don't want to leave the trailer powered up the whole time. Anyone else snake a cord in from the outside??

David
Davz2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
A very old thread!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davz2k View Post
Barry,

Do you use the power supply to power the trailer outlets or did you run a cord in from the outside? I want to put one of those oil radiant heaters in my 27' but don't want to leave the trailer powered up the whole time. Anyone else snake a cord in from the outside??

David
Dave

You can remove the batts and plug the trailer in to shore power. Just make sure the cables are not going to short out.

This is the first Winter I've left the batts in our Classic,(PITA to in/out 'em).
In the past they went in the basement on a smart charger.
I installed a switch on the LP alarm, plug the AS in to charge for a day, shut down and when the Lifeline AGM's get to 12.2v plug back in.
BTW it's on the pad at home so it's convenient to check when needed.

Bob
Old 12-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Grand prairie , Texas
Question, I purchase our first Airstream FC20. Live in Texas so not much freeze if any. I have found a covered parking for unit. How long can the AS with battery connected last before any issue comes. It will just sit for like 2 weeks at a time between uses? Would I need to find a location where I need to connect? First time buyer.
aero09053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
if you dont take batteries out of AS, find the fuse for the LP gas detector and remove it. That will help keep batteries from draining down especially if you are not going to plug in a maintainer charger. make sure they are fully charged before storage time.

check the voltage every monthish and see what discharge rate is.. good batteries with no load will not "leak" down a lot over a couple months.

when you get in season hook up the onboard charger and let it do it thing. might be a good time to check the charge and make sure it a 4 level smart charger or at least a 3 level type..

get with randy at http://www.bestconverter.com/Airstre...More_c_93.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero09053 View Post
Question, I purchase our first Airstream FC20. Live in Texas so not much freeze if any. I have found a covered parking for unit. How long can the AS with battery connected last before any issue comes. It will just sit for like 2 weeks at a time between uses? Would I need to find a location where I need to connect? First time buyer.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I keep AS plugged in year round 24/7 except when taking trailer out then plug in if elect. avble. In summer keep fridge on cold so some items can stay until next outing. My batteries last 5yrs plus only had 1 that lasted less than 6 mos. was bad at time of pur. I did this even w/old univolt now have 3 level convertor not invertor. I use deep cycle flooded acid bats. any brand. The usage I get doesn't justify exp. of other types. Never had one boil dry and negligent about checking fluid level.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
This seems like one of those timeless threads.

We keep our trailer plugged in when at home. Being north of the 45th parallel, nights are pretty long winter time. We like being able to turn on lights, heat, etc. when we go into the trailer off season.

We have a battery disconnect switch, so batteries are isolated from the coach and aren't drawn down by the propane leak detector, sony entertainment center, tank status display panel, etc. I used to track battery voltage daily to decide when to top off the batteries, but voltage drops off so slowly that an 8 hour charge every month seems good enough.

From late Spring to holidays we have the frig on so we have storage for extra beer, pop, ice, and, at holiday time, holiday treats. The rest of the time the frig is off with doors closed and pie pans full of baking soda in both freezer and refer compartments.

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote