Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2009, 05:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
Picking Up from Storage - First Time

Hey Gang!

So in a few weeks I'm headed down to Stateline RV to pick up my baby! This is the first winter I've had her. I have a 19' Bambi CCD that I bought at Out of Doors Mart in NC. She's been in storage since last September so that I could go on deployment. Now that I'm home, and I see the last bits of snow melting, I think it's time to go spring my baby!

Since I'm new to all this, I just paid the good gents at Stateline to Winterize her for me. (PS -- like most Airstream dealers, these guys were GREAT. In particular, they really worked with my schedule, since I was storing the unit so EARLY by Maine standards to make my deployment. Kudos!)

So here's my question -- anything I need to know? Specifically:

-- what should I check to be sure she's "un-winterized"
-- what might have shaken/worn loose/etc during her long winter's nap?

And still more specifically, I did NOT get the chance to wash her really well before she went in storage, so there's still bugs from last summer ALL OVER the front. Any tips on getting her nice and squeaky clean?

Thanks, everybody. Looking forward to a glorious summer bounding around New England. I hope to make a rally really soon...

Hayley
iHayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Hayley,

First, welcome back, and thanks for what you do.

I would only caution you to check the air pressure in the tires before towing your Airstream, and then when you get it home, just waist some water on those bugs and then I like to use a car wash that has a wax in it already. They clean well and leave a good shine with little work. I like the last part the best.

Then, use caution the first time you put water pressure to the system to be certain there are no leaks. After that, just run water thru the system to flush all antifreeze out of it.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Spring has sprung! While we can't advise on some of what you are asking, we really hate the squashed bug mess on the front of our buggy. Hubby thoroughly details and waxes the exterior every time we are home, using a commercial bug and tar remover on stubborn bits, and we scrub it down generally weekly while on the road. We have found Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover a very good product, especially for preventive maintenance once you have everything thoroughly cleaned. We go over the most vulnerable surfaces with this, and the next wash sees those squished and dried messes just sliding off. Repeat application every couple of washes. Have a great time!
Old 03-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Ditto on the tires - check the lug nuts too before towing!

Make sure you run water through the plumbing system to remove any anti-freeze that was used to winterize (it is non-toxic, but so are crayons and I'm sure you don't melt one of those in your tea!).

Close the drain valves on your black and grey water tanks if they were left open to air out all winter. Also the fresh water tank.

Make sure everything works (fridge, furnace, a/c,, etc.).

Be sure to reverse the water-heater bypass settings so that your heater will fill up again. Your owner's manual has the instructions. Check with the folks who winterized it as to what they did.

Open ALL the windows and let it air out for a few days.

THEN, pack it up and take it on a trip - enjoy!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
A couple of things to do before going anywhere:
Lug nuts.
Check all your windows and main door, and make sure they are still latched.
Rock guard, make sure it is still securely latched.
Awning, again, make sure it is still secured.
Any compartment doors.
Propane tank hold-down.
Exterior light function (tail, clearance, brake/turn signal).
Tire pressure.
A fingerfull of grease on the trailer ball would be a good idea. Clean out last year's gunk from the coupler, and put the grease on the ball before hooking up.
When you pull out of the storage spot, tow the trailer around the storage facility a couple of times, and activate the trailer brakes, make sure they work before pulling out onto the street.
While this sounds like a lot, you can get it all done in about 30 minutes or so.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
After leaving the storage lot, it would be a good idea to get the wheel bearings repacked before going on a trip. That's because the trailer has been sitting for several months in one spot, and condensation can have formed in the hubs, leaving water in them. Water and grease don't mix well, so it's important to get it out of the hubs as soon as possible.