Old 06-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl View Post
Concerning the parking, I rationalize that the time spent backing in is more than made up for by not having the inconvenience of paying for and going to off-site storage, along with less theft risk. Additionally, the genset is on-site as emergency power.

The trailer blocks are laid in just as pave stones would be, i.e. level the ground (sand helps) and lay them down. That being said, my pad is not quite that simple as I laid the blocks two deep (total 8") where the wheels track / stand offsetting them by centering the top one over the 4 corners of the bottom ones to spread out stress. I used the blocks to allow for removal if I ever sell the house. Total cost (my labor doesn't count) was about $500.

On backing next to the pool, I do get out often to check pool proximity, and usually back it in by myself (without a "spotter").
I'm originally from Houston! I like the details about the blocks--layering them for strength is a cool idea.

The paving contractor come by today, and he's willing to pour the pad for the TT on the back half and do the front in asphalt for the vehicle. That represents a cost savings.

But you know I'll want to shave off a few feet when I get the quote! I wonder if those blocks would be as effective here where we have lots of snow--maybe if water got underneath there'd be frost heave?

I think it's great to have a source of aux power, and you know noone is ever going to sneak away with your AS! Plus it makes a fun guest house!
Thanks again for the pics and explanation.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:52 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
We just added on to our driveway for exactly this purpose. We ended up with an extension that's 10' from the side of the house. Practically, it's a bit narrower than that because there is a roof overhang that's nearly a foot wide. In two tries, we haven't hit the house (yet) with our '95 narrow-body 30' trailer, and I'm new to backing up large things like that. It just takes a little patience and practice.

In our case, the bigger issue is that the extension doesn't go all the way to the apron of the driveway (due to local code limits, we were limited in the amount of square footage we could add), so we can either cut across the grass or do an S-turn to get into the parking area. As I suspected when we were laying it out, a longer driveway is more important instead of making it wider (and thus shorter).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
Entering the driveway from the street is going to be an adventure. It's encouraging to hear from others with little experience backing! I'm hoping for patience-- and that skill will come later!

Tags
asphalt, driveway, pad, paving