Old 11-04-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Painting an Airstream Shelter

Hi all,
I'm in the process of setting up a 14'x32' soft sided structure to park our 1984 MH in when it is not in use.

The shelter is covered by one of those 'silver' tarps. I think it is ugly and would like to paint strips and other features on it to make it look like an Airstream (sort of). My question is what kind of paint can I use that won't reduce the service life of the tarp, and will stand up to the weather?

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion - The Dalai Lama

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
In my experience the service life of those tarps is pretty limited. I say go for it. Paint windows and a door, rub rail, etc. Send photos.

Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
...use a good quality oil base paint...if you want to have less trouble borrow an 'overhead'projector from a school or library and have a graphic made in black and white that you can handle, this way you can project your image on both sides...use a fine line sharpie marker to do your traceing and don't over draw your true line only per outline, just like a coloring book fill in your colors...getting back to the projector, I meant to add that a transparency can be made from what ever graphic you choose....And thats my story an I'm stickin to it!
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
...whoops I forgot to add the kind of paint. The very very best paints you can use are called 'Bullitin' type colors...These are special 'one coat' types that are just about like 'one shot' which is used by pinstripers...Blue print shops have been known to carry Bullitin and it's a little pricey but in the long run it's the best...if you brush paint I might want to tip you off to those little 'hoghair' (blonde looking) brushes that appear to be cheap cost wise...these are excellent for holding paint and you are not at a loss when you are done with one as you can just throw them away...also if you want to try painting the tarp in a horizontal manner and you won't have to wrestle with a verticle surface. Lastly if you have any know how about an airbrush you might want to add one to your tool box to keep around...if you need instruction on how to airbrush I can sure do that if you want. I am a thirty year old veteran of airbrushing. And this goes for all of you Airsrteamers too least I can contribute to that right?
AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote